entrance into national parks with work permit

michael888

4 minutes ago, michael888 said:

i dont think it is a silly question at all.  I pay taxes.  I am a resident.  I think it is right that we have some benefits.  If you dont that is your opinion.  Keep it to yourself.

Resident you maybe but your still a Alien get over it.

Your be wanting free Thai health care as well I suppose.  :shock1:

They don't care about work permits, annoying though it is to those foreigners who live here and pay taxes. Only a Thai ID card gets you the local rate.

Apply to be a Thai citizen - that's what I did. Problem solved.

When you get to the gate at Khao Yai you can give it a try and if you get a sympathetic clerk on the gate he/she may let you in for the Thai price.      Earlier in the year my wife and I entered Khao Yai via the Prachinburi gate and they let me in for the Thai price after I showed him my Thai driver's lisc and my wife explained to him that I have lived here a long time.       

1 hour ago, Anythingleft? said:

The Thai drivers license is supposedly allowed to let foreigners enter all areas as the Thai price, but, a lot of places now simply refuse to honor it

Yes, I found the same. Sometimes my Thai drivers licence gets me Thai price but not always.

6 hours ago, michael888 said:

i dont think it is a silly question at all.  I pay taxes.  I am a resident.  I think it is right that we have some benefits.  If you dont that is your opinion.  Keep it to yourself.

If you post here you open yourself to diverse comments take them and don't try to silence different opinions. This specific topic have been discussed on this forum a thousand times so why are you repeating it ? Stop being lazy and search topics before repeating posts that's already been covered.

Edited by SOUTHERNSTAR

I don't visit anywhere where they charge farang prices. I think is a racist thing and has nothing to do with any logical thinking such as we having more money or we do not pay taxes...I have seen Burmese, Lao, Cambodians, Koreans and even Indian walk through paying local price, that says it all...

I don't visit anywhere where they charge farang prices. I think is a racist thing and has nothing to do with any logical thinking such as we having more money or we do not pay taxes...I have seen Burmese, Lao, Cambodians, Koreans and even Indian walk through paying local price, that says it all...

Your choice, but seems silly to deprive yourself over something so unimportant as a few baht.

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Your choice, but seems silly to deprive yourself over something so unimportant as a few baht.

I also refuse point blank to visit anywhere that practises dual-pricing. Having lived in several countries that have stunning national parks (all offering free access to all comers) I'm not aware that there is anything here worth paying extra to see anyway.

1 hour ago, Anythingleft? said:

The Thai drivers license is supposedly allowed to let foreigners enter all areas as the Thai price, but, a lot of places now simply refuse to honor it

According to the big boss for the National Parks you are either Thai or non-Thai so you pay the foreigner price irrelevant to paying Thai tax and residence.

4 hours ago, Spaniel said:

When you get to the gate at Khao Yai you can give it a try and if you get a sympathetic clerk on the gate he/she may let you in for the Thai price.      Earlier in the year my wife and I entered Khao Yai via the Prachinburi gate and they let me in for the Thai price after I showed him my Thai driver's lisc and my wife explained to him that I have lived here a long time.       

Worked like this above at same gate for me just on my Thai driving license - but I was driving a company car with logo on side  - and was bringing in 2 visiting falang  - who paid full price - so business Thailand did OK. 

7 minutes ago, peter267 said:

Worked like this above at same gate for me just on my Thai driving license - but I was driving a company car with logo on side  - and was bringing in 2 visiting falang  - who paid full price - so business Thailand did OK. 

what makes you think that THAILAND as you put it actually receives the extra funds    sounds like an easy pocket job to me

To the Op years ago you could. now you can't. It is rotten to the core I know. I would suggest you go with it or simply don't go in. The Thai mentality of dual pricing will never change in my opinion. I have often felt that other countries should copy Thailand and charge Thais double but realized it is childish, although I have spoken to many affluent Thais who find the dual pricing no problem, as long as it doesn't happen to them.:smile:

I think they may have given me a ticket as receipt but whether they did or not I am not naive enough to believe the proceeds passed 100% into the Thai treasury, hence my expression "business Thailand"  were the beneficiary.    Concession or not on WP holder I am not at all hung up on the issue of double pricing it is their country and their right to make regulations as is a visitors right to choose not to enter these parks and pay the price demanded.  

African Safari Parks business model depends on outrageous differential between a tourist and local going into their National Parks - A party of 4 might be $1000 per day - and for that to sit in a traffic jams of 4x4's to see a lion family at breakfast.   That high revenue is required to support  and continue to make viable the African 'game'  environment .   For better or worse .   Again consumers choice

4 hours ago, dbrenn said:

They don't care about work permits, annoying though it is to those foreigners who live here and pay taxes. Only a Thai ID card gets you the local rate.

Apply to be a Thai citizen - that's what I did. Problem solved.

I doubt applying to be a Thai would solve the problem.

I have found that it both depends on the park and sometimes the person at the gate. Personally, I do not mind paying a little extra, but I am accustomed to dual pricing in my home country, USA. 

It is not unusual for out of state residents to pay more for certain things, like universities or golf courses etc... You know the rules - it just is what it is - you now have a choice to pay or not. 

7 hours ago, michael888 said:

Not a silly question at all, it's the poster who said it is who is the one being silly.

The old saw raises its head again. 

You may argue the ethics of dual pricing till you're blue in the face but you won't change anything and you may give yourself apoplexy in the process. 

To paraphrase that great line in Polanski's 'Chinatown': "Forget it, farang. It's Thailand"

1 hour ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

If you post here you open yourself to diverse comments take them and don't try to silence different opinions. This specific topic have been discussed on this forum a thousand times so why are you repeating it ? Stop being lazy and search topics before repeating posts that's already been covered.

I don't agree, just because a topic has been covered before, no matter how many times, is no reason

why it should not be covered again, there are always different posters and different answers coming along.

46 minutes ago, alant said:

I doubt applying to be a Thai would solve the problem.

Of course it solves the problem. If you live here and pay taxes, chances are you'll be eligible at some point to apply for Thai citizenship. 

I did it, and all I have to do is show my Thai ID card to get the Thai rate in national parks. Works every time, and now I have nothing to complain about.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.