An amusing time trying to get a new driving licence

gamini

I went to our local transport office in Pranburi to get new style driving licence. On producing my 35 year old permanent Thai driving licence to the office staff they started questioning me how I could possibly have got a permanent Thai driving licence since they said they were not available to foreigners. I then produced my blue Tambien Baan and they questioned me  me and how I could possibly have got that. The staff were all very young and probably had never seen either. I believe they thought it was fake. First they rang through to Chiangmai where the card was issued and then to Bangkok. After about an hour a very smart looking uniformed lady came out and apologised to me for having to wait. She told me that she could not issue me the new style driving licence because foreigners were no longer eligible for them. She assured me that I can go on using my driving licence without any problems. She then asked me why I want a new one because if she was to give me a new one she would have to take my photograph to put on it. " You look so handsome on your old driving licence, a new driving licence will show you as you look now" I could not help laughing and she really made my day

'

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Never tried to update as do not believe the lifetime DL is even available to Thai anymore.  

No new lifetime DLs are issued since long.

We have one or two family members with lifetime DLs.

Alls the others have the usual 5 year.

Would be interesting to know what happens if you loose your lifetime DL.

The old life time licenses held by Thais can  be exchange for a life time smart card.  That puts it in the computer so I would assume a replacement can be issued.  For the rest of us, out of luck.

I have heard of foreigner that have a blue book but I have not seen it.Yes he was also of the seniors and have been here a long time.Now you will never get a blue book.You might get youre name in youre wifes blue book but not alone.Ofcourse most things can be bought but not leagaly.Thais only get 5 years on their licnce also now and foreigners get 2 years with a blue book.

Unless you pay under the table then everything is posible.

Always nice to hear when some office-worker get a long face.

2 hours ago, Odin Norway said:

I have heard of foreigner that have a blue book but I have not seen it.Yes he was also of the seniors and have been here a long time.Now you will never get a blue book.You might get youre name in youre wifes blue book but not alone.Ofcourse most things can be bought but not leagaly.Thais only get 5 years on their licnce also now and foreigners get 2 years with a blue book.

Not true... I am a foreigner and I have a blue book (tabien baan). That is very normal for all Permanent Residency holders. As for 5 years driving licenses, I got one as well 3 years ago, even before having my PR. No problem at all.

3 hours ago, Odin Norway said:

Odin Norway. I disagree. I redid my car and bike license in September and got a 5 year license on both, expiry date is 2021. I am an expat on a permit to stay, no house book and retired.

1 hour ago, Jujus said:

Not true... I am a foreigner and I have a blue book (tabien baan). That is very normal for all Permanent Residency holders. As for 5 years driving licenses, I got one as well 3 years ago, even before having my PR. No problem at all.

As stated above, Permanent Residence holders are recorded in the standard dark blue Tabien Baan book. I got PR more than 2 decades ago, on issue my name was recored in the family TB book.

I then took my old  initial driving licenses (car and m.cycle and TB book and PR book to the Rayong Land Transport office (most convenient office for me at that time) and they quickly and without question reissued both licenses as 'lifetime' licenses.

A few years later issue of lifetime licenses was discontinued.  My secretary called the BKK Land Transport office and they conformed already issued lifetime licenses were still valid for lifetime.

About 2 years back there was gossip that the old paper card had to be reissued as a new plastic card within 6 months or

something similar.

I went to the BKK Land Transport Office, staff were pleasant and helpful and they quickly found a good English speaker. She explained that such an order had been issued but the deadline date to convert to plastic had been extended and she said 'I don't know when the deadline will be enforced'.

She changed the subject, took my old paper cards, came back about 5 minutes later with a print-out to confirm the licenses were genuine and said 'give me 10 minutes and we'll have 2 new plastic cards all completed, please come for your photo'.

Sure enough 10 minutes later I walked out with 2 new plastic licenses, they still say 'lifetime' in English.

On 06/10/2016 at 3:05 PM, KhunBENQ said:

No new lifetime DLs are issued since long.

We have one or two family members with lifetime DLs.

Alls the others have the usual 5 year.

Would be interesting to know what happens if you loose your lifetime DL.

My girl just updated her life time bike license when getting her first car license. The bike license Expiry Date : Life Time

So some DLT are still replacing the old ones with the new type.

On 06/10/2016 at 1:35 PM, lopburi3 said:

Never tried to update as do not believe the lifetime DL is even available to Thai anymore.  

about 2 years ago my wife (Thai ) was able to update her old paper " for life" drivers licence to the new plastic one at Chonburi ( Pattaya)  DLT

they told her that no new "for life" licences are being issued but people with one already can update.

To save starting a new topic I'll ask a question here.

Can I drive in Thailand on an Australian drivers licence or will I have to get a Thai licence?  I just moved back here, hopefully this time for good.  I don't anticipate having to drive for a while anyway.

Tried a google search and got a few results saying I don't need to change.  Does anyone know for sure?

4 minutes ago, akirasan said:

Can I drive in Thailand on an Australian drivers licence or will I have to get a Thai licence?  I just moved back here, hopefully this time for good.  I don't anticipate having to drive for a while anyway.

Tried a google search and got a few results saying I don't need to change.  Does anyone know for sure?

Go to the Land Office now and get a Thai license.  They usually will give you the Thai license without a test as long as your license is valid in your home country.  I didn't go and my license expired, I didn't relaize it was about to expire when I came here.  Too late then, I had to take both the car and motorcycle tests.  Not hard at all but now it takes several days to complete.  Not one day as before.

Actually if you reside in Thailand you must have a Thai DL to drive.  IDP/Home Country would only be valid up to 60-90 days is my understanding.

Yes, home license is valid for 90 days, with a few provisions, like language and photo.
IDP is not a legal requirement, but can be very useful at checkpoints.

Some information circulating on the net, states that your international licence and home country licence are not recognised if you have been in Thailand exceeding 30 days. From what I understand, it is the INSURANCE COMPANIES ONLY that enforce this. This could mean you are not covered as you thought in case of an accident.

It is a relatively easy process to get your first "temporary" licence; valid 2 years.

4 hours ago, akirasan said:

Licences in English are valid in Thailand. (Geneva Convention)

Licences not in English must be accompanied by an IDP to drive legally.

However if you have a long term Visa or extension, you are strongly advised to get a Thai Driving Licence, the reason being although the above types of licence allow you to drive legally, but many Insurance companies will only give 3 months cover on foreign licences or IDP's, which covers Tourists, but not those who remain here long term.

Production of a DL in English, or an IDP at a DLT office will avoid taking the full Thai driving tests. Passing just the colour blindness , reaction , peripheral vision and co-ordinate tests should secure you a Thai DL

Passport and proof of address will also be required.

11 hours ago, jtrump said:

Go to the Land Office now and get a Thai license.  They usually will give you the Thai license without a test as long as your license is valid in your home country.  I didn't go and my license expired, I didn't relaize it was about to expire when I came here.  Too late then, I had to take both the car and motorcycle tests.  Not hard at all but now it takes several days to complete.  Not one day as before.

Good luck getting a license only with a valid one from youre own country.For me they wanted my rental-agreement from where I rented an apartment,medical from the hospital and papers from the imigration.Like I said before.There is no real rules for anything.If they want to make problems for you,they sure can.You can easy pass a police check-point with a foreign license.Its when you end up in a crash you have problems.Then they can say if you dont have thai license: If you didnt come here,this would never have happend.

Some information circulating on the net, states that your international licence and home country licence are not recognised if you have been in Thailand exceeding 30 days. From what I understand, it is the INSURANCE COMPANIES ONLY that enforce this. This could mean you are not covered as you thought in case of an accident.
It is a relatively easy process to get your first "temporary" licence; valid 2 years.

That is incorrect information in circulation. The period is 90 days, not 30.

Good luck getting a license only with a valid one from youre own country.For me they wanted my rental-agreement from where I rented an apartment,medical from the hospital and papers from the imigration.Like I said before.There is no real rules for anything.If they want to make problems for you,they sure can.You can easy pass a police check-point with a foreign license.Its when you end up in a crash you have problems.Then they can say if you dont have thai license: If you didnt come here,this would never have happend.

Please do not post about things you have no knowledge of.

33 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Well.Try to tell no knowledge to the wrong policeman if you end up in a crash then.10 years here and driving big bike all over the country gives me some knowledge.

53 minutes ago, stevenl said:

which bit doesn't he have knowledge about?

fact..you need proof of address

fact...you need a certificate of health from a hospital

fact...you need a certified thai translation of your foreign licence 

fact...you need documents from immigration/your embassy

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

4 hours ago, Odin Norway said:

There are common requirements at DLT centres to get a Thai DL.

Existing foreign driving licence and/or IDP as proof you at sometime passed a test to drive a class of vehicle.

Passport for name and ID number.

Health certificate as proof you are fit to drive.

Proof of address (printed on licence)

So did you get your licence, or have you been driving your big bike around Thailand for 10 years with no licence and no Insurance.

1 minute ago, johnno2 said:

Thank you johnno2. I forgot to write the translation from my embassy in my post.The document you say in youre last sentence you get from immigration.

If you have a tabien ban you dont need the papers from the immigration but still need the healthpapers from hospital or any local nurse that can isu one.

Its all about the money realy if you go to a local place in some places.I just hand over my passport and get the paper for a 100bth a pice.1 for each licence.

7 minutes ago, johnno2 said:

That information is outdated and not complete.

Both in reference to proof of address, either obtaining a letter from your Embassy confirming address or a certificate of residence obtained from Immigration.

Alternatives are a certificate of residence from your local Police station or production of a Tabian Baan (house book)

It can be from a clinic (30 - 50 baht).

Only if your licence isn't worded in English and you don't have an IDP.

17 minutes ago, Odin Norway said:

Thank you johnno2. I forgot to write the translation from my embassy in my post.The document you say in youre last sentence you get from immigration.

If you have a tabien ban you dont need the papers from the immigration but still need the healthpapers from hospital or any local nurse that can isu one.

Its all about the money realy if you go to a local place in some places.I just hand over my passport and get the paper for a 100bth a pice.1 for each licence.

So you came ill prepared and with no research beforehand, but blame the DLT for your inconvenience and expense.

23 minutes ago, Faz said:

So you came ill prepared and with no research beforehand, but blame the DLT for your inconvenience and expense.

I dont blame anyone for my incomvenience Faz.I just state some of the things I have experienced when I got my licence 10 years ago.Like you say things can change and sometimes what I think could be out of date.It took me a week the first time running between offices.Thats the only reason I try to help newcommers in her as good as I can.But offcorse someone always knows better.I have seen with my own eyes that foreigners have ended up in deep shit if they are in a crash.Just because they thought their own license from their own country is good enough.Thais only get a fine without license but we can end up with serious problems.

Archived