Do Thai favor Son over Daughters?

johnnywishbone

Hi Bone - - In my family, village, and surrounding areas, I do not see and have never heard anyone voice a preference and I have been here a long time. Almost all the young children I see tend to be well loved and well taken care of with no regard to the child being a boy or girl. 

I would say that that's a fairly accurate description, except for the " parasite " remark" . It's not the case that the boys actually leech off the family, rather that everything is bestowed on them totally voluntarily.

I wouldn't try to interfere with any of my kids life choices, but i would hope for my daughter to marry a westerner and my son to marry a Thai.

Boys seem to be able to mooch around in their village more than is accepted of girls going into teenage years. At least that was my very limited experience of the sticks. Haven't noticed a great deal of gender preference in cities.

3 minutes ago, upside said:

There's 30 something million Thai males so are you saying they're all useless parasites or just the ones you've seen? 

The OP associates exclusively with the lower realms of Thai society.  Since his Thai family and friends are useless, he assumes the entire country is like that.  Yes, this is a pretty ignorant attitude.  And it's why farangs in Thailand are respected less and less in Thailand.

3 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

The OP associates exclusively with the lower realms of Thai society.  Since his Thai family and friends are useless, he assumes the entire country is like that.  Yes, this is a pretty ignorant attitude.  And it's why farangs in Thailand are respected less and less in Thailand.

II thought it was just the Thai men that hate us? 

2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Hi Bone - - In my family, village, and surrounding areas, I do not see and have never heard anyone voice a preference and I have been here a long time. Almost all the young children I see tend to be well loved and well taken care of with no regard to the child being a boy or girl. 

Agree, my observations as well.

2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Your one village in millions, good you not have THE lazy pricks , I have seen it in 3 or 4 villages in the last 7 years just no good lazy man . 

10 minutes ago, upside said:

Do you think Thai men like us? 

I'd say they're rather indifferent.  Thai men really don't give farangs much thought on any given day.  Do you think Thais like Chinese men?  African men?  Other foreigners?  But then again, you may be right.  They may in fact hate your guts.  But it has nothing to do with you being a farang.    

Edited by Berkshire

1 minute ago, georgemandm said:

Your one village in millions, good you not have THE lazy pricks , I have seen it in 3 or 4 villages in the last 7 years just no good lazy man . 

George - I am in Northern Thailand and in a fertile area, so, there is money to be made working the fields and the late teen, young men do help out with the family farms. And they can keep busy near all year round. 

I think in Isaan, there is not as much work, the soil not as good, not as profitable, and so maybe with less to do, less opportunity, it begets a laziness. My village is probably not too different from the others in our area. 

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I'd say they're rather indifferent.  Thai men really don't give farangs much thought on any given day.  Do you think Thais like Chinese men?  African men?  Other foreigners?   

This is precisely what I see... here in the countryside, people, if anything, treat me a bit more special. They are more concerned with the fact that you might smile and joke with them, be generally pleasant and not confrontational or angry. 

I can imagine it different in tourist areas. The entire dynamic changes. Farang go there and often get drunk and act badly - Thai go there specifically to earn a living off them. I am sure it can be a combustible mix. 

My first answer was based on what you had termed "boys" and so I was thinking children - - when it comes to teenagers, there is definitely a period of time, usually about 16 or 17 or so when some of them get out of control. They just want to hang with their friends and drink and such, whereas the girls will more likely stay home... 

Most of them tend to straighten out after a couple of years... 

31 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

Thai male ego ,  comes to mind . 

Females are subservient ,  take care ,, as  us  farlangs  know .

Edited by elliss
spelling

20 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

George - I am in Northern Thailand and in a fertile area, so, there is money to be made working the fields and the late teen, young men do help out with the family farms. And they can keep busy near all year round. 

I think in Isaan, there is not as much work, the soil not as good, not as profitable, and so maybe with less to do, less opportunity, it begets a laziness. My village is probably not too different from the others in our area. 

I did not say all ok I said I have seen it .

and lots of the good ones and I know some not a lot go to Bangkok and work in  factories , so don't seat they  and protect the lazy ones .

were do you think I come from I have been coming to issan for 7 years now .

yes I have seen them help out but most are  lazy pricks .

go get a job how , can the girls work and the boys not and I am not saying all of them but lots of them .

do you  ever  wonder why you see so many girls working more then boys , because the boys are lazy because for their  parents .

Don't know about Thai but it's certainly well documented that Chinese favour Son over Daughters, maybe we could expand the thread and have a bash at them as well. Please feel free to add your own countries where sons may be more favoured and we can have a crack at them too. Cheers. 

My observation with Opals extended family, is male progeny more favoured maternally wise, female progeny more favoured paternally wise.

Also I have observed many similar traits in my interaction of Western society including my own geneology pool, but could I confirm if this is a majority situation? Best to leave it to the Mythbuster team.

There's 30 something million Thai males so are you saying they're all useless parasites or just the ones you've seen? 

Please.
Just a comment on a few I've seen.
I understand my world is very small.
I would never insult a general population.
I am not that kind of man.
If I gave that impression
I sincerely apologize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems that most people are being sensitive to the issue...but when a nation's people/govt expect a huge portion of their girls to become prostitutes, it's pretty obvious how the country feels about females.  Thai men are cowards, lazy, and stupid.  I can state that I have met less than a dozen men who were honest and hard working...ALL others I have met have ultimately revealed themselves to be liars, cheats, and thieves...even doctors, attorneys, military officers, and govt officials...

only 3% of Thai men pay taxes to support their country...women are expected to carry the load of the nation, either on their shoulders or on their backs...

And yes, I'm sure there are exceptions...but why bother with these outliers?  People stupidly think that an exceptional example somehow voids the generalization...it's actually the opposite...you must aggregate data to make a judgement...Thai men are pretty worthless as a group...the ones who actually display the avowed traits of "Thainess" are pretty rare...

3 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

My observation with Opals extended family, is male progeny more favoured maternally wise, female progeny more favoured paternally wise.

Also I have observed many similar traits in my interaction of Western society including my own geneology pool, but could I confirm if this is a majority situation? Best to leave it to the Mythbuster team.

W.T.F   ???

1 minute ago, Lamkyong said:

W.T.F   ???

My observations are mothers tend to dote more over their sons than daughters, fathers tend to do the opposite, just my opinion based on observation, rather than all inclusive social science study to provide a conclusive answer.

Does that clarify my stance for you?

14 hours ago, thedivezone said:

I would say that that's a fairly accurate description, except for the " parasite " remark" . It's not the case that the boys actually leech off the family, rather that everything is bestowed on them totally voluntarily.

I wouldn't try to interfere with any of my kids life choices, but i would hope for my daughter to marry a westerner and my son to marry a Thai.

funny to read that. i also hope my daughter ends up with a western man and my son with a thai woman. their mum wants them to both get western partners. will be interesting to see what they choose.

1 hour ago, hdkane said:

It seems that most people are being sensitive to the issue...but when a nation's people/govt expect a huge portion of their girls to become prostitutes, it's pretty obvious how the country feels about females.  Thai men are cowards, lazy, and stupid.  I can state that I have met less than a dozen men who were honest and hard working...ALL others I have met have ultimately revealed themselves to be liars, cheats, and thieves...even doctors, attorneys, military officers, and govt officials...

only 3% of Thai men pay taxes to support their country...women are expected to carry the load of the nation, either on their shoulders or on their backs...

And yes, I'm sure there are exceptions...but why bother with these outliers?  People stupidly think that an exceptional example somehow voids the generalization...it's actually the opposite...you must aggregate data to make a judgement...Thai men are pretty worthless as a group...the ones who actually display the avowed traits of "Thainess" are pretty rare...

I would be interested to hear where you get some of "your facts" from starting with the 3% quote.

I have seen many Thai male and females work very hard in algricultural and construction industries first hand as well as hearing about the work of many in factories in Lamphun and Bkk.  I certainly see Thais as much harder workers than some of us Brits, and I put that down to the fact that if you dont work here in Thailand you dont eat. In England we have a benefits system that is open to abuse and we have cases where 3 generations of families have never worked one day in their lives and are proud of it!!!  I am English btw and not proud of such an attitude. Yes, I believe the welfare system is good but its also open to abuse which is the problem.

36 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

funny to read that. i also hope my daughter ends up with a western man and my son with a thai woman. their mum wants them to both get western partners. will be interesting to see what they choose.

I just hope my sons grow up happy and are good individuals thinking about others. As to who they marry, I dont mind as long as their partners are nice and they are all happy. Life is too short to be unhappy. If being a farmer or a songtail driver makes my sons happy then thats good for me.