Im a tenant but want to insure house for fire and flood

ghworker2010

Normally the landlord would insure his /her house for building insurance covering accidental fire and flood. But this is thailand. Most thais don't do it. They will have 1st class insurance on their crappy car but not their expensive house. 

Do you know an insurance company in Thailand that will allow a tenant to take a policy for building insurance as above?

thanks

3 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

Do you know an insurance company in Thailand that will allow a tenant to take a policy for building insurance as above?

I see no reason why such insurance should be for owners only. The risk is the same regardless of who pays the premium.

Though it's not clear to me why a tenant would want to pay to insure the structure of a building that he doesnt own. The contents of course would be another matter.

Many Insurance companies will insure the house (Building) for you although not cheap. Suggest you approach a foreign company such as AIA for better coverage and payout. But do you really need to, contents yes, property ??

I would suggest you check your contract and see who is responsible if the building is damaged due to flooding or just falls over.  I have always carried contents and structure insurance while a tenant because if the building collapses I don't want to be stuck with the bill.  Peter a forum sponsor with AAinsure.net can get you sorted.

Every Thai Home Owner insurance company also offers separate policies you can buy for a MODEST cost as a renter. Just google stories in Thailand where a renter was charged with arson. I personally know an expat in Hau Hin, who paid dearly for an accidental fire. He was put in a VERY difficult position, facing arson charges and had to pay police, fire department, landlord, let alone his own property and medical bills. For two years I paid less than 2500 baht a hear for RENTERS insurance which would have covered all manner of damages at the modest rental house I lived. The price is transparent, and the policy in Thai and English in my own experience with a Thai home insurance company. The landlord MIGHT only have coverage for what he owes on a loan balance. If you have no renters insurance you are putting yourself at great risk. The cost is cheap. Perhaps the forum sponsor could post some examples of rental home insurance. 

Normally the landlord would insure his /her house for building insurance covering accidental fire and flood. But this is thailand. Most thais don't do it. They will have 1st class insurance on their crappy car but not their expensive house. 

thanks

As already stated, I can understand if you want to insure your contents, but not a rented building.

The landlord working with the fire inspector and/or police can charge you with arson. If you do not have your renters insurance rep working for you, then you can fall prey to a ruthless campaign.  It might have been the landlord's faulty wiring, even a fire started next door that jumped to the home you are living in. Good luck explaining and winning any arguments with 'vested interests' who have money to gain by shaking you down and threatening you with arson. 

27 minutes ago, Faz said:

As already stated, I can understand if you want to insure your contents, but not a rented building.

Sorry but your comment is daft and stupid. What if the house burns down. 8 million baht bill. Do you now understand?? ha ha

8 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

Sorry but your comment is daft and stupid. What if the house burns down. 8 million baht bill. Do you now understand?? ha ha

Nothing stupid about my reply.

I rent a house in the UK, as the landlord I insure the building, but the contents are the tenants.

It's not your 8 million baht bill, it's the landlords.

Why don't you insure his car as well!

In Hau Hin the smoke damage, need for repainting, all manner of items for a MINOR fire was huge. Plus the loss of rental income. The authorities were actively attempting to pull the expats passport until the bill was settled. The expat hired a Bangkok lawyer, to fend off police, fire department, landlord who all wanted money. The house was far from a total loss, yet it was nearly one million baht for a minor fire.  I did not see any value in life insurance in Thailand, but I have seen the example of no renters insurance and how that was a costly omission, when the annual premium is a pittance.

Expats have "left the country" after a fire they DID NOT CAUSE, only to have a landlord go and win in court and get a judgement. On a return trip the expat thrown into jail until money was paid. That was in Phuket, but the danger is real in the event a landlord is not paid for damage to a house. 

30 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

Sorry but your comment is stupid is it not did you read what it is about I think not with a comment like that .

he is a tenant is he not why would a tenant insurance the landlords home just stupid like your comment read before you post .

Actually George, it is not as stupid as it sounds.

I tried to insure my business building (like single storey shop houses) as if had a a fire could rebuild quickly

& continue my business. Bangkok Insurance basically treated me like an arsonist & contacted the owner to advise

them to watch me. The owner knew what I was doing as we get along well & just had a good laugh, but if not 

have a good relationship with owner can cause friction & be accused of interference 

3 hours ago, BlindMagician said:

That's just insanely stupid. Sorry, but it is.

I know of one recent incident where an air con exploded and started a fire. It was not a wood house and the insurance paid 1.7 million for damage to the contents. Strangely enough they would not pay for the air con which caused the fire.

10 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Actually George, it is not as stupid as it sounds.

I tried to insure my business building (like single storey shop houses) as if had a a fire could rebuild quickly

& continue my business. Bangkok Insurance basically treated me like an arsonist & contacted the owner to advise

them to watch me. The owner knew what I was doing as we get along well & just had a good laugh, but if not 

have a good relationship with owner can cause friction & be accused of interference 

Are we talking about are home , are we not yes we are .

still  stupid you have to  get insurance for a building you not own and you rent out as a business I think up to the OWN I think and if I was you and he did not have the insurance I would not have rented it out that is me I have been a landlord for over 20 years but that is Australia not this  silly place thailand.

You have to have an insurable interest in the building and as the tenant unfortunately you do not . You are not sure if the building is insured or not .As this concerns you why not contact the owner . Please note if you offer to pay some or all of the premiums any proceeds in the event of a claim will be paid to the owner

3 hours ago, georgemandm said:

For a brick home in thailand to burn down 

Are you serious? So you think there have never been any fires in any buildings that are mostly brick, or steel, or glass? What happened to common sense. Astounding ignorance and stupidity.

7 minutes ago, BlindMagician said:

Are you serious? So you think there have never been any fires in any buildings that are mostly brick, or steel, or glass? What happened to common sense. Astounding ignorance and stupidity.

If you have any idea about homes here you would understand but I think you not understand a fire needs  fuel and if you no about thai homes there is no fuel in the brick homes here and if something did catch on fire here it would burn it self out .

you are the 

Astounding ignorance and stupidity one not me 

8 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

If you have any idea about homes here you would understand but I think you not understand a fire needs  fuel and if you no about thai homes there is no fuel in the brick homes here and if something did catch on fire here it would burn it self out .

you are the 

Astounding ignorance and stupidity one not me 

Yes of course, no brick buildings in Thailand have ever had a fire, never. The universe obeys your pseudo science authority. Get a grip.

Words cannot describe your ....omg...I just can't be bothered with you.

Most rented houses in Thailand are reinforced concrete and block infill not many brick and direct fire damage normally contained to a single room with the rest smoke and heat damaged. As someone else mentioned previously to insure property you have to have an 'insurable' interest, renters do not. Yes you can get cover via a 'Renters' insurance but the cover is very limited if you read the small print and only a very few Thai companies offer it.The property cover is something that should be discussed with the landlord at the very beginning of the contract not wait to you have a fire etc. In Thailand new flood damage cover is not offered to anyone from any company unless, and only on renewal, if  they already have cover from the same company but it is very limited, about 2,000 TBaht per claim.

58 minutes ago, BlindMagician said:

Yes of course, no brick buildings in Thailand have ever had a fire, never. The universe obeys your pseudo science authority. Get a grip.

Words cannot describe your ....omg...I just can't be bothered with you.

Good then block me make my day 

as others have already said I doubt very much if an insurance company would accept your premium to cover the building itself because you do not have  an"  insurable interest in the building ". As a tenant you can insure the contents however.

if you occupied a commercial or industrial building particularly with expensive equipment, as a tenant you might be able to argue the need for such insurance but not as the tenant of a regular dwelling

Insurable interest exists when an insured person derives a financial or other kind of benefit from the continuous existence, without impairment or damage, of the insured object (or in the case of a person, their continued survival). A person has an insurable interest in something when loss of or damage to that thing would cause the person to suffer a financial or other kind of loss.

Typically, insurable interest is established by ownership, possession, or direct relationship. For example, people have insurable interests in their own homes and vehicles, but not in their neighbors' homes and vehicles, and certainly not those of strangers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurable_interest

Can't comment on the building itself, but I have had fire/theft/3rd party injury on my rental apartment for quite a few years - runs about 3000 bt a year for coverage up to 300,000bt.  Check AIG for their rates. 

Edited by snooky

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:03 PM, Faz said:

Nothing stupid about my reply.

I rent a house in the UK, as the landlord I insure the building, but the contents are the tenants.

It's not your 8 million baht bill, it's the landlords.

Why don't you insure his car as well!

If you don't live here, then you don't no what you are talking about. This is Thailand, forget what you do at home, I rent my home to tenants in my home country, where it is the Landlords responsibility to have building insurance, however, just like everything else in Thailand if you are renting, driving a car, walking down the street, or whatever, and you are involved you pay, it is the Thai way of thinking, end of story.

21 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

Most rented houses in Thailand are reinforced concrete and block infill not many brick and direct fire damage normally contained to a single room with the rest smoke and heat damaged. As someone else mentioned previously to insure property you have to have an 'insurable' interest, renters do not. Yes you can get cover via a 'Renters' insurance but the cover is very limited if you read the small print and only a very few Thai companies offer it.The property cover is something that should be discussed with the landlord at the very beginning of the contract not wait to you have a fire etc. In Thailand new flood damage cover is not offered to anyone from any company unless, and only on renewal, if  they already have cover from the same company but it is very limited, about 2,000 TBaht per claim.

6 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

If you don't live here, then you don't no what you are talking about. This is Thailand, forget what you do at home, I rent my home to tenants in my home country, where it is the Landlords responsibility to have building insurance, however, just like everything else in Thailand if you are renting, driving a car, walking down the street, or whatever, and you are involved you pay, it is the Thai way of thinking, end of story.

One thing on what you say as a tenant can you get insurance on the building here not sure , but I know back home in Australia you can't the landlord has to do it .