What does the future hold for Thailand's Expats? Have your say in our survey

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading these threads ,one can see that there are two sorts of expats , the ones who just sit in bars , never leave the centre of Pattaya , married to or living with some Girl who cares nothing for them except the money , they moan on here constantly .

Then there are the majority , who are married to loving wives ,have a familly and just do the same sort of things they did back home ,except in the sun and far cheaper . I know which group i am in and am very happy wliving here with my loving wife and super family

Certain things will alter like people overstaying will probably decline but on average I really can't see anything changing much. Maybe my opinion is because I don't do the bar scene or the like. I basically lead a life doing what I would do in any country.

Many here will disagree I am sure but what you get out of a country depends on the person

After Sunday morning experience around Sukhumvit road and Soi Nana  the ship has sailed for Thailand  plus coups and unrest has changed Thailand in the last 14 years  also  military junta isn't helping Thailand talking with locals .. anyway next year am out of here .. 

19 hours ago, anotheruser said:

They are offering a full 1,000 you should be able to have both. 

So you filled in the form too?

can you pay a bar fine of Bht1000?

i must be plug ugly then coz even carrying a fat wallet with me I never got it that good

:(

:saai:

Edited by The Dark Lord
To add; So hello handsome man was never directed at me (making my lovely wife right for once)

Here's 10 straight of the bat, no doubt there are more

1. Free admission to all national parks for farangs

2. Taxi drivers insisting on using the meter

3. Thais forced to pay double what farangs pay in restaurants

4. The newly restored democratic government announces farangs can own land

5. Thai women begin offering their farang husbands stipends

6. Police refuse brown envelopes

7. Government ministers begin talking sense

8. Thais learn how to navigate roundabouts 

9. Immigration improves efficiency

10, All visa applications become straight forward

On 10/10/2016 at 0:21 PM, Phuket Man said:

Unless you are a Brit with a UK Pension nothing will change.

Nothing has changed over the last 15 years, why would it change now?

With yearly pension increases and a 40% increase in Sterling XE once Brexit has settled I suppose only British pensioners will notice a difference

ha ha,  get rid of the bad guys, aka CC,s  brits, 

they chose  to exit UK.  and live in LOS    Moan on .  

Quality farlangs , welcome in the Kingdom .555

Why Slate us Brits You Numpty

We're not All poor mate and I assume u come from the US of A .., where everything is Bigger & Better like your Gub !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:37 AM, khunpa said:

I honestly think thailand will be a fantastic place to live in at that time.

Once the economy is destroyed, the effects of poor education has shown its true face and all surrounding countries have moved past Thailand, I am sure expats and foreign investments will be very welcome here. 

However, I truly hope Thailand finds the right track, before especially the economy gets totally destroyed. And the only way to do that, is to open itself up to the outside world and improve the educational system dramatically (and fast).

That's a reasonable approach to take I guess.  I think however it's a bit like dealing with a child who's become spoiled & bratty.  It is possible to turn a kid like that around, but not easy and it takes a commitment to positive change.  In the context of social change, I think many might add 'not likely'.  'Sort of a getting-the-genie-back-in-the-bottle thing.   So good luck.  I don't think the odds are with you, within this lifetime, but good luck anyway.

Having lived in South Florida most of my adult life and having warm winters. I find the mentality similar here in Thailand.  

People from New York and New England visit South Florida during the winter months we call them snow birds. 

They come every year and complain about they don't do it like this in New York.  The snow birds are always complaining about life in South Florida. 

Well if it's so much better in New York why don't you  go back to New York. 

After living in Thailand for 5 years I see a similar comparison.  Just my opinion

8 minutes ago, Remus1830 said:

Getting worse for foreigners by the day cant wait to leave after 15 years. Sorry to say 

No it isn't.

Visa criteria is reasonably straightforward, cost of living is still cheap, the state doesn't intrude into our lives and, in general, the locals are still friendly

Happy to remain.

Things will get progressively worse until Cambodia surpasses Thailand as the preferred destination for retirees. The Thai propensity to kill gooses that lay golden eggs is well established and will never change. Their paranoia and xenophobia is off the chart. They progressively try to make things randomly more difficult for expats by high-handed juggling of rules and regulations. Everything in triplicate because a database would stretch their limited IT understanding to the breaking point. Generate tons of paperwork which is then shredded and start from scratch is the mantra here. There may not be another race of people who are so adept at refusing to learn from experience. Until the current military leadership faces death by lethal injection for treason, Thailand will remain a dangerous place to exercise freedom of speech and life for expats will continue to deteriorate. In addition, the "Thai-O-philes" will continue to chant "love it or leave it", as if this solves any problems.

A bit of a silly kind of survey. There is far too much generalisation. There's a vast difference between individual expats living here. Obviously for the not so well off ones, life is more difficult. For the average one I would think things are just about the same, probably a bit safer with a  military government. And now there is online reporting and retiring here is still very easy and cheap. Then there are those who are better off, like myself who believe things are getting better, because we have very different priorities. And there are  those that have lived in other countries who find Thailand is still the best place

43 minutes ago, Jools said:

Things will get progressively worse until Cambodia surpasses Thailand as the preferred destination for retirees. The Thai propensity to kill gooses that lay golden eggs is well established and will never change. Their paranoia and xenophobia is off the chart. They progressively try to make things randomly more difficult for expats by high-handed juggling of rules and regulations. Everything in triplicate because a database would stretch their limited IT understanding to the breaking point. Generate tons of paperwork which is then shredded and start from scratch is the mantra here. There may not be another race of people who are so adept at refusing to learn from experience. Until the current military leadership faces death by lethal injection for treason, Thailand will remain a dangerous place to exercise freedom of speech and life for expats will continue to deteriorate. In addition, the "Thai-O-philes" will continue to chant "love it or leave it", as if this solves any problems.

Well, if you do live here, it would definitely solve your problem, wouldn't it?

Cambodia's a shithole and it will never surpass Thailand as the preferred destination for anyone but the truly potless.

Poor infrastructure, poor hospitals and God help you if you're over 50 and want to legally marry a Khmer woman.

I doubt very much that what you have to say is so profoundly important that you feel muzzled by the law.

You bang on about freedom of speech as if certain laws have only just been introduced.

They've been around longer than many of us have been sucking air, mate.

Point is, I'm sure you knew the score before you moved here.

Edited by YeahSiam