I compared GBP exchange rates

I thought this might be useful for anyone looking for decent rates. 

I recently came over from the UK and needed to change some money, so I asked around and made a note of each exchange rate. Obviously the rates will change but these were all taken on the same day, so i expect the trend remains the same. 

UK Banks:

Barclays 42.0

Natwest 42.0

HSBC 42.5

Nationwide 45

Post Office 43.1

Thai Banks:

Kasikorn 44.4

SCB 44.8

TMB 45.1

Bangkok Bank 45.3

Heathrow Airport 39.1

Suvanabhumi Airport: ~41 

Superrich Green 46

Superrich Orange 45.6

Vasu exchange 45.8

ATM with 4.5% visa fee 43.4

Good rates, lowest fees & simplest hassle free service i've found for sending money (especially small amounts) from one country/currency to another online is Transferwise. You need a bank account in the 'to' country and a card or bank account in the 'from' country, but it really is simple & fast.

11/10/16

Fee (included)
TransferWise charges as little as possible
£ 2.31
Exchange rate guaranteed
If TransferWise receives your £ 100 within 24 hours
£ 1  ฿ 43.37850
Edited by cdnvic
removed affiliate link

4 hours ago, slippedisc said:

Good rates, lowest fees & simplest hassle free service i've found for sending money (especially small amounts) from one country/currency to another online is Transferwise. You need a bank account in the 'to' country and a card or bank account in the 'from' country, but it really is simple & fast.

11/10/16

Fee (included)
TransferWise charges as little as possible
£ 2.31
Exchange rate guaranteed
If TransferWise receives your £ 100 within 24 hours
£ 1  ฿ 43.37850

Last time I checked from within the UK, Thai baht was not available. I use Worldfirst.co.uk......No fees

As I thought, Vasu has the highest rate of all. I only go there for money exchange. A no brainer. Be sure to bring a copy of your passport. Located on Sukhumvit Soi 7-7/1.

Edited by likeke

Definitely don't confuse Buying and Selling Rates and which way you areonverting currency.

When in Thailand and converting from your home country currency to baht you use the Buying Rate and want the "highest" rate possible. Think of it as  you want the buyer to give you as many baht as possible for your one unit of home country currency.

However, when in Thailand and converting from baht to your home country currency you use the Selling Rate and want the "lowest" rate possible.    Think of it as the lowest Selling price...that is, you need to fork out fewer baht to get one unit of  your home country currency.

On 11/10/2016 at 4:06 PM, ableguy said:

Looks to me like you are comparing buying rates and selling rates, i.e. 

In the U.K. They will buy your baht for 42.     In Thailand they will sell you pounds for 45.

better ask for advice in future.

No, these are all rates to buy Thai baht with GBP.  

It was obvious there was a seperate selling rate, which I avoided. As I said the rates will change, so don't waste time trying to find exactly the same rate now, I did it to compare the overall trend.

Edited by Changwatchap