Tourist beaten unconscious in Pattaya. Thai man charged

webfact

11 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

Typical Thai mentality. We can't do anything alone, but feel like they are hard men when there is a bunch of them. Dogs run in packs do I need to say more?

Typical Thaivisa mentality, make up what wasn't reported.

There is no mention at all in the report (not the headline) of a gang attack, this was an assault by one man on another.

15 hours ago, onemorechang said:

Shock, horror.

BS story from the Thai guy.

One more Tourist has the welcome to Pattaya stamp,   from the Thugs that rule the streets now in this town.    :bah:

Please help me out here. A few weeks ago I put in a post that I left Pattaya some time ago because it had got to dangerous.

Didn't you and other argued with me that it was a safe as houses or words to that affect. And that things like this are rare.

Now it seems that thugs rule the streets. Would be nice if you made up your minds.

11 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Typical Thaivisa mentality, make up what wasn't reported.

There is no mention at all in the report (not the headline) of a gang attack, this was an assault by one man on another.

I suggest you read the full story. Wasn't one on one, it never is in Thailand

On 10/13/2016 at 8:40 AM, gandalf12 said:

I suggest you read the full story. Wasn't one on one, it never is in Thailand

Against my better judgement I did read the report again and according to the words of those involved, not the journalist's first sentence, I was right, there was no mention whatsoever about more than one Thai being involved...

"

Edited by metisdead
Re-post of OP removed.

11 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Please help me out here. A few weeks ago I put in a post that I left Pattaya some time ago because it had got to dangerous.

Didn't you and other argued with me that it was a safe as houses or words to that affect. And that things like this are rare.

Now it seems that thugs rule the streets. Would be nice if you made up your minds.

Ok you can have that one. :jap:

Thugs ruling the streets maybe a bit of a OTT comment.

im  just  annoyed that the cops and courts do bugger all or very little to discourage the violate behaviour towards tourists or residents of Pattaya,    this results in a no fear culture of the consequences of breaking the law.   they could all do so much more,  but they don't !!!!!!!!

But its a far cry from not being able to walk the streets here

at night for fear of attacks.

Also is a million miles  from the point where you need to runaway from Pattaya for fear of attacks.

Come on,   come back its not a war zone.  :thumbsup:

The op story is just a convoluted  Bs story.

I would like to know what really went on.

5 hours ago, onemorechang said:

Ok you can have that one. :jap:

Thugs ruling the streets maybe a bit of a OTT comment.

im  just  annoyed that the cops and courts do bugger all or very little to discourage the violate behaviour towards tourists or residents of Pattaya,    this results in a no fear culture of the consequences of breaking the law.   they could all do so much more,  but they don't !!!!!!!!

But its a far cry from not being able to walk the streets here

at night for fear of attacks.

Also is a million miles  from the point where you need to runaway from Pattaya for fear of attacks.

Come on,   come back its not a war zone.  :thumbsup:

The op story is just a convoluted  Bs story.

I would like to know what really went on.

Do agree with you about the cops doing nothing, and the B/S story.

Glad to say I'm never coming back if I can help it. Even missed one of my Chums Birthday party this year never done that before. 

It may be a chance in a thousand or even a Mil: but that's one to many for my liking.

All you Patt boys enjoy and try and stay safe.

On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 9:12 AM, gandalf12 said:

Typical Thai mhety. We can't do anything alone, but feel like tl  tard men when there is a bunch of them. Dogs run in packs do I need to say more?

What are you on avout?  It was not a group of men like a bunch of euro football hooligans or an american biker gang. It was a single thai male. 

The thais put up with heaps of Foreign drunk idiots. This one assaulted the thai first and as a result got kicked in the head. I would do the same. In my experience the japs are terrible drunks. Nasty, rude and aggressive.

On 10/11/2016 at 3:14 PM, webfact said:

PATTAYA: -- On the night of October 9 thirty-six-year old Japanese national Mr Yushi Yokohama (first described as Korean) beaten unconscious in Petchtrakul Road, Pattaya, by a group of Thai men.

On 10/13/2016 at 10:22 AM, gdgbb said:

Against my better judgement I did read the report again and according to the words of those involved, not the journalist's first sentence, I was right, there was no mention whatsoever about more than one Thai being involved...

"

A witness, thirty-nine-year old Mr Dittipong Buajaturus, said he was told of a fight taking place and so went outside to find the man laying in the road.

He said the suspects, a group of Thai teenagers, ran off after the attack. Witnesses helped the man to the side of the road and called for the police.

On 10/12/2016 at 7:28 AM, alfalfa19 said:

the tourist probably did not smile or wai in the correct fashion, thus he deserved his beating by a group of law abiding guys. 

Try reading the original story.  Sorting through the conflicting accounts one gets the impression this is just another example of what happens if you get snotslinging drunk and belligerent with the locals.  Even if you're tough enough to get past one of them, which the average drunken tourist certainly isn't, one of their buddies will catch you in the face with a straight right, a rock, a bottle, a board, or whatever's lying around, then you're on the ground and everyone gets a turn kicking you in the head.

The good news is if you don't get falling down drunk, don't make threats you can't back up, don't think just because you're bigger you can beat someone, don't expect locals to fight by the Marquis of Queensbury's rules, and generally behave yourself, you'll never have a problem here. 

Thais are generally quite tolerant of drunken obnoxious foreigners, up to a point, and rarely give a beating to anyone who doesn't have it coming.  Some expats tend to view these incidents with a certain, shall we say, lack of objectivity, for what reason I really can't quite understand. 

I've lived in Bangkok, upcountry, and now in the vicinity of Pattaya for a total of nearly 15 years altogether.  I've explored this country from the Laotian border to the Burmese border, the Cambodian border to the Malaysian border, partaking of the nightlife scene in a low key fashion all the while, and have never been assaulted or even threatened by a Thai person. 

Actually there was one single incident I had upcountry years ago, during the wee hours in an underground dance club, where a girl told her boyfriend I had said or done something she didn't like - which I probably did in a moment of stupidity.  He was a young hardass gangster type with a posse and started to get very aggressive, no doubt preparing to do me serious bodily harm, when a few bystanders stepped in on my behalf and calmed him down.  My buddy and I were the only 2 westerners in a place crowded with about 100 Thais.  I was looking at a guaranteed trip to the hospital or worse, if not for a couple of random Thai dudes I'd never met stepping up to save my skin.

I guess it's easy for folks just to make a sweeping generalization and assume all Thai dudes are cowards or punks with no code of ethics, but the truth, as always, is a bit more complicated.

Sorry for the rant - just my perspective on the usual "another foreigner assaulted by a thai gang" commentary.