PM pleads with media to report bomb plot in capital with caution

snoop1130

PM pleads with media to report bomb plot in capital with caution

da91806e1a3f523d35f672c1f93e0043-wpcf_72

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha on Tuesday pleaded with the media to exercise caution in their reporting of an intelligence report about a plot by alleged southern militants to carry out bomb attacks in Bangkok and peripherals during October 25-30 in order not to cause public panic.

He suggested the media to report just enough for the public to acknowledge about the security threat and not to sensationalize the report which, he said, may cause extensive negative consequences.

Pol Gen Srivara Rangsipromnakul, the deputy national police, broke the intelligence report about the plot by alleged southern militants on Monday, saying police have been put on the alert to look out for the suspects.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-pleads-media-report-bomb-plot-capital-caution/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-10-11

14 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

He suggested the media to report just enough for the public to acknowledge about the security threat and not to sensationalize the report which, he said, may cause extensive negative consequences.

Translation: 'Please don't accurately report the gravity of the situation and scare the tourists away, we still need them to come to prop up our flailing economy; if some of them may die in a terrorist attack because they weren't adequately warned, no problem.'

1 minute ago, jamesbrock said:

Translation: 'Please don't accurately report the gravity of the situation and scare the tourists away, we still need them to come to prop up our flailing economy; if some of them may die in a terrorist attack because they weren't adequately warned, no problem.'

Agreed absolutely farcical in the extreme. I will be in Thailand in that time frame and want to know if to abort now....??

12 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

we must be getting good at pre-empting and understanding how these people think because I had exactly the same thoughts as you by the time I'd finished the first paragraph:thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Agreed absolutely farcical in the extreme. I will be in Thailand in that time frame and want to know if to abort now....??

I personally think the powder keg is close to blowing. Not just the threats of the car bombings, but the recent scandals involving the junta, the bizarre obsession with destroying the shincrims, the increasing disunity within the government itself, and the increasing desperation of the junta's farcical lies and contortions. When the spontaneous nationwide mass prayers fail and the inevitable occurs, it won't be a place I'd want to be.

19 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

I personally think the powder keg is close to blowing. Not just the threats of the car bombings, but the recent scandals involving the junta, the bizarre obsession with destroying the shincrims, the increasing disunity within the government itself, and the increasing desperation of the junta's farcical lies and contortions. When the spontaneous nationwide mass prayers fail and the inevitable occurs, it won't be a place I'd want to be.

Indeed apart from anything else I can see a nationwide shut down for a month

26 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Don't be daft. You could just as easily be in the wrong place at the wrong time at home and fall victim to a spot of cultural enrichment or a kicking from a local neanderthal. Forget your troubles for a while, come over and enjoy yourself - you aren't any less safe here.

8 minutes ago, baboon said:

Don't be daft. You could just as easily be in the wrong place at the wrong time at home and fall victim to a spot of cultural enrichment or a kicking from a local neanderthal. Forget your troubles for a while, come over and enjoy yourself - you aren't any less safe here.

I'll be there rest assured post was bit tongue in cheek but the reality is we should be told with no hidden agenda prevailing

1 hour ago, elabuelo said:

With homegrown extremists plotting to blow up Bangkok, why waste police resources urine testing tourists?

Because maybe there is no bomb threat, perhaps what we are hearing about that is a pretext, a reason to have troops and police on the streets when a catastrophe strikes, and that appears to be imminent if the news reports are anything to go by.

It's all a bit like the army warning "don't be alarmed if you see tanks and armour moving in Bangkok, It's not a coup or anything, we're just moving it to a different garage".

SSDD

1 hour ago, TweedleDee said:

Because maybe there is no bomb threat, perhaps what we are hearing about that is a pretext, a reason to have troops and police on the streets when a catastrophe strikes, and that appears to be imminent if the news reports are anything to go by.

Very imminent it seems. Hate that line that people trot out "Google is your friend" but the Times article is very gloomy indeed

Why doesn't the PM address the same warning to his officials, senior BIB officers etc. who don't exactly help situations by talking at cross purposes and we've seen this in the last few days with senior police confirming or denying a bomb plot ?

It's not only confusing but just highlights the amount of incompetence there is and how officials just love to talk without considering what they are saying.

"...He suggested the media to report just enough for the public to acknowledge about the security threat and not to sensationalize the report which, he said, may cause extensive negative consequences..."

Prayut and his cronies are now in a similar position to Samsung. 

Both have deliberately tried to mislead people by seeking to hide a problem, and then by providing misinformation. 

Now, both are facing crises (of their own doing) as they struggle to regain some credibility from their mismanagement of serious public safety concerns. 

Unfortunately for both, the issues still have a way to go before they are played out. So, anything they do now is only damage control. 

PM fears news of possible attacks could cause panic

BANGKOK, 12 October 2016 (NNT) - Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha urges all sides to be careful when speaking to the public about possible car bomb attacks, saying they can cause panic and affect confidence. 

The PM said the news of the possible attacks should not be escalated since they might affect confidence of foreign countries. Gen. Prayut asked the public to be confident in the work of national security units. 

Minister of Interior Anupong Paojinda said he would instruct the permanent secretary for interior to issue warning for important areas but declined to say which areas. 

Secretary-General of the National Security Council Gen. Thaweep Netniyom urged the public to keep a watchful eye and alert the authorities if they saw suspicious vehicles. It had not yet been concluded that the possible attacks had links with bombings in seven southern provinces in August this year, he said. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-10-12

10 hours ago, elabuelo said:

With homegrown extremists plotting to blow up Bangkok, why waste police resources urine testing tourists?

Do you really need to be told mate? How much in the way of kick backs to be made chasing southern insurgents?

Years of intimidation of the media, and all practice of free speech & press for that matter, with power levers, Art 44, and defamation threats & detentions doesn't really do much to cultivate a very collegial atmosphere, in which one can later "plead" for this & that.  'Seems like the government is in the position now of simply having to order something, or not.  Or maybe "pleading" IS just code now for ordering.

So there are new reports of commandoes checking backs and at secure points in Bangkok. We have news about bomb suspects. But we shouldn't be alarmed.  Yea right. Better to inform the people and tell the truth without panic. The people are more than capable of making their own decisions.

13 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

So should I call you a taxi for the airport ?

3 minutes ago, bark said:

So should I call you a taxi for the airport ?

No need, but thanks for the offer. I'm one of those imposters whose ties and interest in Thailand must end the minute they leave the country, and have no right to post in this forum.

2 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

No need, but thanks for the offer. I'm one of those imposters whose ties and interest in Thailand must end the minute they leave the country, and have no right to post in this forum.

Enjoy the winter.

10 hours ago, TweedleDee said:

It's all a bit like the army warning "don't be alarmed if you see tanks and armour moving in Bangkok, It's not a coup or anything, we're just moving it to a different garage".

SSDD

Now that's food for thought, I was wondering why they hadn't blamed it on the Redshirts, which is their normal instant reaction. Makes a lot of sense what you say.