Yeepeng massive sky lantern release?

Sudaca

Hi guys,

After one and a half years, Im getting back to LOS.

I would like to attend Yeepeng massive sky lantern release, but information Im able to find on the web is uncertain.

Ive been once in Chaing Mai for Loi Kratong, but Im tempeted on getting to Maejo university event.

I have read that last year has been cancelled, but also Ive read that took place...

I couldn't find videos on youtube from last year's so I think could been cancelled.

Does anybody knows if it's going to take place, and in case, where can i buy the tickets?

I would appreciate your help as I got a 32 hours flight just to get to Thailand.

Cheers,

Sudaca

4 hours ago, Franklyspeaking said:

Hey Sudaca, the lantern release is in an open area, so you won't need a ticket. It's near Maejo university, you can check out the place, it's called ธุดงคสถาน / Lanna Dhutanka. 

Thanks buddy. I will try to find more info on this.

Cheers,

Sudaca

I have found this on thaizer.com. Can somebody help me to clear all info I got? Im confused!

*Update September 28, 2016:
I’ve been advised by local contacts in Chiang Mai that there is no free event at Mae Jo in 2016. There is a ticketed event scheduled at Mae Jo for November 14, but apparently that has already sold out. The Mae Jo temple, which describes itself as a ‘non-profit organisation’, sold tickets ranging in price from US$100-300 via a few hand-picked tour companies.

I want to stress again that the actual Yi Peng Lantern Festival in Chiang Mai is (and always has been) free to attend and is where you will see local people enjoying the festivities

12 hours ago, Sudaca said:

I have found this on thaizer.com. Can somebody help me to clear all info I got? Im confused!

*Update September 28, 2016:
I’ve been advised by local contacts in Chiang Mai that there is no free event at Mae Jo in 2016. There is a ticketed event scheduled at Mae Jo for November 14, but apparently that has already sold out. The Mae Jo temple, which describes itself as a ‘non-profit organisation’, sold tickets ranging in price from US$100-300 via a few hand-picked tour companies.

I want to stress again that the actual Yi Peng Lantern Festival in Chiang Mai is (and always has been) free to attend and is where you will see local people enjoying the festivities

Of course it's free.  Just find a high vantage point in Chiang Mai -- "Ta Da!"  Free. 

err ummm errr 

in thai visa news this morning under something about tourisum 

Still, some tourists' plans to see particular events may already be ruined.

In the northern city of Chiang Mai, the city government announced the annual Yi Peng Festival set for mid-November — in which tens of thousands of lanterns float into the sky — has been canceled.

dave2

khom loys release over chiang mai 31 dec 13 2013-12-31 21.12.11.jpg

My wife says that the parades & fireworks are cancelled, but Loy Kratong will go ahead.  Sounds good to me ;-)

Also, weekend markets & night bazaar should be open, which sounds right, as Tesco, Big C etc didn't close.  Folk need to make some money...

Edited by MESmith

According to some sites Loy Krathong has been cancelled in some places ( don't know about C M ), but I wouldn't bank on the lantern festival being allowed, unless an official announcement is made that it is, and it's a bit early yet to be getting the full picture.

Agreed that it's going to disrupt many travel plans if everything is cancelled.

15 hours ago, MESmith said:

My wife says that the parades & fireworks are cancelled, but Loy Kratong will go ahead.  Sounds good to me ;-)

An alternative for tourists would be Pattaya where Tiffanys & Alcazar are open as usual. 

16 hours ago, MESmith said:

Also, weekend markets & night bazaar should be open, which sounds right, as Tesco, Big C etc didn't close.  Folk need to make some money...

not according to this article

Loy Krathong Cancelled, Night Bazaar and Street Markets to Close

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/loy-krathong-cancelled-night-bazaar-and-street-markets-to-close/

As I understood, big organised Loy Krathong festivities are cancelled but private releases of balloons are allowed.

So looks like Loy krathong is on!

Wish the news would be more clear as it is of high importance for Chiang Mai tourism.

11 minutes ago, kalbo123 said:

As I understood, big organised Loy Krathong festivities are cancelled but private releases of balloons are allowed.

So looks like Loy krathong is on!

Wish the news would be more clear as it is of high importance for Chiang Mai tourism.

News is quite clear...No large celebrations out of common courtesy during this period of mourning

I think the tourists also will likely understand the Thai Peoples need to grieve at this time

Not everything is measured in dollars

Also as said many times in many ways for individuals...They may do as they deem fit for themselves.

But to expect any large celebrations at this time may be considered missing the point

Edited by mania

Also, River Market restaurant is planning to continue with it's Loy Krathong observation the evening of Monday, November 14.  It's outside the official 30 day mourning period and this even is planned as a celebration of the life and many contributions of the King.  There will be traditional Thai dancing and music, launching of krathongs into the river and khom loys into the sky.  Whether there will be the planned fireworks display is still to be determined.  

Loy krathong poster 2016.jpg

33 minutes ago, mmarks said:

Khun Pim said elsewhere that she will update the magazine when she gets to work tomorrow.

I think you mean update their web site and fb page.The magazine is always out on first few days of each month

Edited by Sparkles

16 hours ago, NancyL said:

Also, River Market restaurant is planning to continue with it's Loy Krathong observation the evening of Monday, November 14.  It's outside the official 30 day mourning period and this even is planned as a celebration of the life and many contributions of the King.  There will be traditional Thai dancing and music, launching of krathongs into the river and khom loys into the sky.  Whether there will be the planned fireworks display is still to be determined.  

Loy krathong poster 2016.jpg

Hi Nancy, I went last year. This year seem really expensive. Was it this price last

year? I was planning on going again, but not at this price.

5 hours ago, Ocean peek said:

Hi Nancy, I went last year. This year seem really expensive. Was it this price last

Also really expensive.  But perhaps still just within the realm of sanity for a person visiting alone.  It was already quite out there for a family to join.  And this year is frankly insane; sorry but it's true.

It's actually so offensively insane that I'll stop recommending River Market to visitors. At this increase who knows what the current menu prices are like these days.  (Spring rolls for example were 225 Baht on the 2015 menu, so I can only assume they're now at 360 Baht at the same 60% increase to this year.)

Anyway to answer the question and for general reference: 

Capture.JPG

Mosey on over, LOL. 

Seriously though if people let them get away with such an increase by visiting anyway then guess what will happen to prices at related restaurants next. 

I think it's time for people to say:  "Excuse me, I think we're in Chiang Mai. Thank you."  Unless they only want cars with blue plates out front.  (Embassy peeps and the big Audis from China..)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

15 hours ago, Ocean peek said:

Probably be cancelled.  Nation's in mourning....