Questions.....questions

joepattaya1961

Over the last 15 hours we have been "blown over" by all kind of news and facts regarding the passing of HRH.

A lot of topics have been started and closed.

I'm very well aware of the fact that the current situation is extra-ordinary and that's probably the reason that a lot of people have questions:

- "Dress appropriate"....What does that mean in Thailand? Is it black, yellow, pink, yellow/pink? Shorts allowed?

- "Tone down entertainment".....What does that mean? No music or completely shut down.

- Closing entertainment venues........1 day, 3 or 7 days, 30 days.....what is it?

- Mourning period.......periods of 30 days up to 1 one year have been mentioned.

- What is expected of foreigners in the country......Oh sure, respect, but what's the best way to pay respect?

I guess there will be more questions.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I walk my dog twice a day through and around the Tambon usually in full colour.  Now, I will be wearing black shorts and black tee shirt certainly for the next 30 days.  If I go out with the family I will wear a pink, yellow, or a traditional white shirt and long dark trousers.  I suspect in touristic areas Thai's will be a lot more forgiving of foreign visitors and their dress code.  My family and I are incredibly saddened by the news RIP.

We have now had time to discuss this topic in the mods forum and have decided that this will be the one and only question and answer topic for Pattaya forum.

Please keep your questions on topic and brief and respectful, any disrespectful or speculative posts will be removed. 

Please also see: 

Updated info on closures, changes, and protocol during the mourning period.

ALSO

TAT issues advice for foreigners in Thailand

It seems clear that all sectors are asked not to hold entertainment events for a period of 30 days so live music will be curtailed.

Alcohol sales may be prohibited for the same period.

Entertainment areas are therefore likely to be closed for that period.

The one year mourning period affects civil servants and government offices whose staff is asked to wear black. This does not apply to the public but reasonable decency in dress is asked for. You can't go wrong with black if you have it but it is not mandated.

It seems sensible to ask non-Thais to respect whatever mourning procedures and certain closures are put in place and have some understanding of the situation and Thais grief - and that has been asked for.

Edited by oxforddon

Here in Pattaya, are most regular businesses open today, the 14th, or not?

Visiting immigration, will it be a problem to not wear white/black next week as the deep mourning time is for one month?

Or would polite, clean, just not bright and flashy clothing be acceptable?

I'm assuming we're in a tourist resort so there will be greater tolerance for foreigners being foreigners, but not sure how far that goes.

Interacting with strangers who are Thai if you can tell they're upset, is it polite for a foreigner to say something, and if so, what?

Edited by Jingthing

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Visiting immigration, will it be a problem to not wear white/black next week as the deep mourning time is for one month?

Or would polite, clean, just not bright and flashy clothing be acceptable?

Try to rein in the Liberace in you would definitely be my advice to all.

Also, it feels highly inappropriate to be in the entertainment zones, wherever they might be.

I would put off visiting if you are looking for a holiday type experience….the mood will be sombre and rightly so.

I wouldn't be looking for black clothes expressly…greys and dark navy blues look equally appropriate .

One thing I definitely would not do is engage in any conversation with locals about what has happened.

Zip it up….be contrite and keep a low profile.

6 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Try to rein in the Liberace in you would definitely be my advice to all.

Also, it feels highly inappropriate to be in the entertainment zones, wherever they might be.

I would put off visiting if you are looking for a holiday type experience….the mood will be sombre and rightly so.

I wouldn't be looking for black clothes expressly…greys and dark navy blues look equally appropriate .

One thing I definitely would not do is engage in any conversation with locals about what has happened.

Zip it up….be contrite and keep a low profile.

So restaurants will mostly be open today the 14th which is a national day of mourning?

How about Thais you sort of know casually.

Wouldn't it polite to say a little something to acknowledge the situation? If so, what?

Or is your advice to shut up universal.

Obviously Thais you may be close to, that's a private matter.

As far as people visiting, most tourists here are either already here or have booking commitments that would be impractical to change. 

Edited by Jingthing

From what I understand, today was declared a holiday to enable the public to mourn the late king,  unfortunately this was only announced last night and in confusion many government offices like immigration opened this mourning before closing for the day.

Reports of hotels and restaurants trading as if nothing has happened, probably because the management has issued no institutions.  

my advice be respectful, wear black if if others are, even if only a black arm band.  

What I found in the net.

(a mate comes to BKK and Pat from Europe next week :mellow:)

Office closures quite chaotic.

Announcing a public holiday in the morning is a bit too short really.

There will be no late penalties when going on Monday (from TV forum).

All shopping centers, Buakhao market open as usual.

Restaurants and massage places ARE open today and probably not affected.

All kind of bars, Gogos and similar will be closed for 3 to 7 days.

It's not clear to me which for 3 and which for 7 days.

(reported not only for Pattaya but also for Phuket)

Alcohol control board: no special restriction of alcohol sales.

Likely playing music in the open will be forbidden for the whole month.

30 day mourning: black clothes absolutely required for special mourning events e.g. the procession in Bangkok today.

Otherwise I think that you should simply avoid walking like a clown, muscle shirts, gym trousers, Hawaii shirts etc.

Remember the dress code for immigration office?

Red color to be avoided.

Unicolor grey, dark blue and white will likely not cause disturbance (just for example).

Mourning of one year will affect foreigners or tourist very little to not at all.

In our village: close to no change visible. Neighbor wears a red polo shirt. :mellow:

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Wouldn't it polite to say a little something to acknowledge the situation? If so, what?

Or is your advice to shut up universal.

Obviously Thais you may be close to, that's a private matter.

Try some non-verbal communication….looking sad (and meaning it) is better than just saying awkward stuff that will make them squirm.

I wouldn't bring it up with any thai but that's just me….when in doubt close your mout.

@joepattaya1961   A far as I can understand  the notice is asking  entertainment venues to  be respectful in the the entertainment they provide

stop shows /concerts/ parties and other festivities,

for 1 month

PS.  red is the colour for Sundays   and Yellow for Mondays

Edited by johng

2 hours ago, oxforddon said:

It seems clear that all sectors are asked not to hold entertainment events for a period of 30 days so live music will be curtailed.

Alcohol sales may be prohibited for the same period.

Entertainment areas are therefore likely to be closed for that period.

The one year mourning period affects civil servants and government offices whose staff is asked to wear black. This does not apply to the public but reasonable decency in dress is asked for. You can't go wrong with black if you have it but it is not mandated.

It seems sensible to ask non-Thais to respect whatever mourning procedures and certain closures are put in place and have some understanding of the situation and Thais grief - and that has been asked for.

People here are looking for specifics. Alcohol sales have not been affected according to the official thread under Thai News. Closing venues seems to be optional.

2 hours ago, stubuzz said:

In the province where i live a few are wearing black/white, but the majority is not.

I went out early this morning wearing black and I was the only one (wearing black).

Edited by tropo

25 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Try some non-verbal communication….looking sad (and meaning it) is better than just saying awkward stuff that will make them squirm.

I wouldn't bring it up with any thai but that's just me….when in doubt close your mout.

That's good advice. What is there to say? Only people aged 80 and over would be aware of a time without HRH, so this situation is totally unprecedented. It's the same as losing one's father. If you think about that you will understand the grief Thai people are experiencing.

9 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Are all avatars etc on Tv now in black&white…..can anyone confirm if this is a condolence measure or website problem?

The forum has gone into monotone colors as a mark of respect.

3 hours ago, stubuzz said:

In the province where i live a few are wearing black/white, but the majority is not.

I came back to the apartment a while back in Pattaya and I didn't see any particular dress code in effect by Thais while I was out.

Pattaya is very quiet, with not as much traffic as usual, but baht buses and m'bike taxis are in usual numbers far as I could tell.

Not many parasails up, but at least one company is working.

All the restaurants/ shops/ stalls are open as usual, though not many customers about.

Cinemas still showing movies.