Questions.....questions

joepattaya1961

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wearing black or white out of respect, in this area some Thais are doing the same, others not. However I don't think it really matters what others are doing, dressing properly is the correct behavior. There will still be tourists acting inappropriately out of ignorance, for those of us that know better we can at least counterbalance them.

On 15/10/2016 at 8:29 AM, sharecropper said:

I went up to Bangkok yesterday - in Jomtien before I left, I noticed very few Thais wearing black in the morning. In Bangkok about 99% of Thais were wearing black.

I wonder if the fact this place is geared to Entertainment and tourism affects the Thai public dress code?

Are Thais publically shaming other Thais for not wearing Black in Pattaya? In BKK it's happening all over the place from reading a post on Richard Barrow's site and on Thai's posts on FB & news sites.

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

Are Thais publically shaming other Thais for not wearing Black in Pattaya? In BKK it's happening all over the place from reading a post on Richard Barrow's site and on Thai's posts on FB & news sites.

I don't think there'd be enough hours in the day....

I went out last night and the vast majority of Thais were doing so kind of mourning color clothes (I'd say about 85 percent) but what surprised me was it looked like about half of foreigners were as well. Certainly anyone in bold bright colors stood out a lot. Interestingly sometimes the black was with t-shirts with colorful graphics printed on it. As a practical matter, I'm not clear how most people will be able to keep this up for a month, or a year. You'd have to do laundry very frequently as how many people have a cycle of say a week of different mourning color clothes? 

Edited by Jingthing

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I went out last night and the vast majority of Thais were doing so kind of mourning color clothes (I'd say about 85 percent) but what surprised me was it looked like about half of foreigners were as well. Certainly anyone in bold bright colors stood out a lot. Interestingly sometimes the black was with t-shirts with colorful graphics printed on it. As a practical matter, I'm not clear how most people will be able to keep this up for a month, or a year. You'd have to do laundry very frequently as how many people have a cycle of say a week of different mourning color clothes? 

I've got a ton of black clothes as black is one of my favourite colours and goes with all colours, but most of them have big logos on them like Nike, Adidas, Levi, etc. Not graphics on it though. Once a week for a laundry cycle should be more than enough, you just need 7 shirts.

4 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I've got a ton of black clothes as black is one of my favourite colours and goes with all colours, but most of them have big logos on them like Nike, Adidas, Levi, etc. Not graphics on it though. Once a week for a laundry cycle should be more than enough, you just need 7 shirts.

Good for you. I think you're an exception. I've got only one black t-shirt with a very loud graphic on it. So loud that I don't normally wear it and wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it now.

White, grey, dark blue are also close enough. The vast majority of my wardrobe doesn't really even remotely indicate mourning. I had read before to avoid wearing black in Thai culture because it's the mourning color as opposed to often seen as cool/trendy in the west. 

As foreigners are often larger than Thais, shopping for clothes that fit here is rarely easy, and much harder if you need a specific color. I also would like to know about the idea of wearing a black armband instead ... whether that's something foreigners should consider doing, and where to get one?

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Good for you. I think you're an exception. I've got only one black t-shirt with a very loud graphic on it. White, grey, dark blue are also close enough. The vast majority of my wardrobe doesn't really even remotely indicate mourning. I had read before to avoid wearing black in Thai culture because it's the mourning color as opposed to often seen as cool/trendy in the west. 

Also got very dark blue (nearly black) Nike tshirt but it has a big orange Nike "swoosh" logo at the chest level. Not sure if that might be a bit loud to wear outside so I'm keeping it in the cupboard for now.

I did notice a lot of younger Thais in black t-shirts and loud colorful graphics and I think that was taken as a mourning signal by the public, but in a much older foreigner, I don't think it would be seen the same way. 

This is a PRACTICAL issue I imagine for a lot of us. It's not about a one day event. This is announced as an ongoing very long term thing now. 

Foreigners here are in awkward situation. Don't wear mourning colors for whatever reasons, even good ones such as not having them and not being able to locate ones that fit is one part of it. Others have commented they're afraid to offend going too far in other direction, as we are foreigners here. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Good for you. I think you're an exception. I've got only one black t-shirt with a very loud graphic on it. So loud that I don't normally wear it and wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it now.

Turn it inside out.

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you don't know the answer why did you post anything?

Because you seamed to think black was the only colour to ware.

The mention of an arm band was just an alternative  for people.

This thread is about information not silly remarks.

maybe you should stop now.

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

I'm well stocked up with black too. It's the best colour to wear if you sweat a lot. I don't think many people would have plain black shirts in their wardrobes though...

I was out in the park yesterday and very few Thai people were wearing black. Most were wearing their normal jogging/exercising attire, ranging from bright red to shirtless. There was absolutely no sense of altered behaviour.

Edited by tropo

I would like to wear an armband but frankly now in two days out on the streets, I've not seen even one person doing that. I think it would be a good solution if it was promoted but I'd almost rather do nothing than be a trail blazer like that in these sensitive times.

Edited by Jingthing

I think your being a touch paranoid. I have zero black shirts and have just worn white. Next week at work i will wear a simple black ribbon . I have seen many Thais doing this at their place of work where there uniforms are not black.
Personally i think in BKK there has been a respectful show of mourning by all and an understanding that life must go on. Very different to what i and many others were expecting i think.

White is also acceptable. White mixed with black seems quite common. I don't happen to have many white shirts either ... but I imagine most people do. 

I'm not seeing black ribbons in Pattaya. Are men wearing them in Bangkok?

Edited by Jingthing

On 14/10/2016 at 6:41 AM, oxforddon said:

It seems clear that all sectors are asked not to hold entertainment events for a period of 30 days so live music will be curtailed.

Alcohol sales may be prohibited for the same period.

Entertainment areas are therefore likely to be closed for that period.

The one year mourning period affects civil servants and government offices whose staff is asked to wear black. This does not apply to the public but reasonable decency in dress is asked for. You can't go wrong with black if you have it but it is not mandated.

It seems sensible to ask non-Thais to respect whatever mourning procedures and certain closures are put in place and have some understanding of the situation and Thais grief - and that has been asked for.

according to the local press civil servants have been ordered, not asked, to wear black to work for a year

for foreigners, and indeed many thai's in my area, wearing toned down colours is perfectly acceptable

24 minutes ago, Bangkokhatter said:

I think your being a touch paranoid. I have zero black shirts and have just worn white. Next week at work i will wear a simple black ribbon . I have seen many Thais doing this at their place of work where there uniforms are not black.
Personally i think in BKK there has been a respectful show of mourning by all and an understanding that life must go on. Very different to what i and many others were expecting i think.

white is a traditional colour for Buddhists in mourning, hence you see many locals wearing white.

3 hours ago, thai006 said:

i got only 3 black shirt without   logo , and  some white shirt with i love thailand  is good or just  shirt without any logo ? 

All of these will be fine. Seeing increasing flexibility in interpretation as people presumably run out of things to wear. Sombre and understated seems to be the key.

Not sure about this black armband thing, neither seen anyone wearing one, nor heard of it other than a single throwaway comment in this thread, next thing lots of people seem to be trying to find one. 

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not seeing black ribbons in Pattaya. Are men wearing them in Bangkok?

I've haven't seen one person at all wear a black ribbon in BKK, whether they are men, women or ladyboys ;)

Usually black shirts or white or black & white or dark colours. Some rebels seem to wear colours (Thai people) & at the park only about 50% wear black when exercising. (Isn't it not respectful?)

Edited by bbi1

10 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

I'm actually surprised people have no black shirts. How is that even possible? :shock1:

1 minute ago, jak2002003 said:

Judging by a few farangs I see here a few of us only own one beer chang wife beater vest.. which never gets washed.

Lol.....Pattaya sure does attract the cream of the crop in this world