Questions.....questions

joepattaya1961

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There is no requirement to wear mourning colours (black/white) - just dress appropriately and use common sense. Has no one here ever been to a funeral?

Very true.

But for long term falang residents,  we should try and make an effort , its not hard to do. 

i wear white polo shirts  and black shorts most days anyway.  :jap:

Edited by onemorechang

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

My experience last night was dramatically different. So many people in black that I felt uncomfortable not wearing black myself.

Again I don't understand how this will practically work for a month or a year.

I don't know where you were, but where I was ( a busy part of town ) the number of people wearing black was a minority. Even those with black often had shirts with large logos of a different colour. Short of Glitterman outfits, the "must wear black" movement hasn't taken off at all. Depends if pressure is brought to bear, of course. 

I'm sure people are grieving, but not in public. Life goes on and without a social security net people have to earn a living, ergo business as near normal as possible.

Ever quick to pick a trend, many shops are selling sexy black clothes for women. If anything encourages black, that will be it.

Looking at the bay this morning, given by the number of parasails I think things are pretty much back to business as usual. I'll take a look at the bars tonight to see what is going on with them. Do we know if alcohol is on sale again? I think I read that it was just 3 days, though I guess no music. Anyway, I'll see tonight.

3 hours ago, bbi1 said:

I'm actually surprised people have no black shirts. How is that even possible? :shock1:

I'm surprised that you even think that. Who brings black on holiday? Most tourists I see are wearing normal clothes of many colours, even red, and no one is jumping up and down. It is after all, a TOURIST town.

I think there are some that are overthinking it. As long as they aren't wandering the streets in skimpy clothing, and aren't drinking in public, life goes on as normal for the visitors.

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There is no requirement to wear mourning colours (black/white) - just dress appropriately and use common sense. Has no one here ever been to a funeral?

So true. When I went to the MIL's funeral I wore what I normally wear, but with a black t shirt for the cremation.

3 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

Black ribbons are popular among the Thais that need to wear a coloured uniform to work.

black ribbon.jpg

Seems ribbons are indeed an option when one runs out of clean black shirts.

I saw 2 Thai people with black armbands yesterday with blue uniform shirts, so I suppose that's an option but the ribbon is a simple solution as pOster before.

7 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

Black ribbons are popular among the Thais that need to wear a coloured uniform to work.

black ribbon.jpg

I've seen absolutely no Thais or anyone wear black ribbons in BKK. Except today a lone Falang wearing a white shirt had a black ribbon on his shirt. 

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I read this today:

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/nightlife/2016/10/17/entertainment-behind-closed-doors-okay-govt-clarifies/

Could this mean gogos and nightclubs will soon be back in business?

I'm sure that Agogo owners, staff and working girls aren't too pleased that they would have no income for month(s). Same with nightaclub owners. Will be interesting to see if they are allowed to go back to semi-usual soon or not.

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

I'm sure that Agogo owners, staff and working girls aren't too pleased that they would have no income for month(s). Same with nightaclub owners. Will be interesting to see if they are allowed to go back to semi-usual soon or not.

The problem is more than just no income. They have bills to pay. I wonder if the landlords would give them a break if they can't open?

Offical notices now say that places of entertainment can now open as usual but no music for 30 days and opening and closing hours are strictly enforced.

Events can also take place for sports, weddings or ordinations etc. but again no music or entertainment yet.

2 minutes ago, oxforddon said:

Offical notices now say that places of entertainment can now open as usual but no music for 30 days and opening and closing hours are strictly enforced.

Events can also take place for sports, weddings or ordinations etc. but again no music or entertainment yet.

From that link posted earlier saying nightclubs can open but behind closed doors. If no music can be played who would even go to a nightclub that has no music?

1 minute ago, oxforddon said:

If closed doors they can have music - even last Saturday night in Pattaya clubs were playing music even at 10.30pm.........I was surprised  

Just now, bbi1 said:

From that link posted earlier saying nightclubs can open but behind closed doors. If no music can be played who would even go to a nightclub that has no music?

and gogos with no music................:tongue:

I've haven't seen one person at all wear a black ribbon in BKK, whether they are men, women or ladyboys [emoji6]

Usually black shirts or white or black & white or dark colours. Some rebels seem to wear colours (Thai people) & at the park only about 50% wear black when exercising. (Isn't it not respectful?)

Tesco staff, sikarin hospital staff and Thai airways staff were all wearing them Sunday,oh and why can you not believe people have no black shirts ? ....black doesn't suit my skin tone :)

4 hours ago, tropo said:

LOL> a gogo with no music is better than no gogo at all. People don't go there for music.

Gogos with no music would actually be a vast improvement on the awful noise that they actually play

Edited by SidJames

9 hours ago, topt said:

If closed doors they can have music - even last Saturday night in Pattaya clubs were playing music even at 10.30pm.........I was surprised  

I'm surprised at who would go to a club at 10:30pm :P Hitting up the clubs before midnight makes no sense to me, you'd be the one of a small handful of customers there

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

I'm surprised at who would go to a club at 10:30pm :P Hitting up the clubs before midnight makes no sense to me, you'd be the one of a small handful of customers there

Normally I would agree but we were taking a walk up WS to see what was open and one person wanted to use the loo.........:drunk:

Next door The Stones House was closed up completely.

19 hours ago, bbi1 said:

I read that as saying gogos can go back to work because they have doors. Are bar beers classified as "entertainment"? It's important as none of them are indoors and if so will be closed for how long? If not "entertainment" can carry on without music.

If the bars are closed indefinitely, I don't think I would be wrong to say it will be a very quiet or non existent high season in Pattaya.

45 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I read that as saying gogos can go back to work because they have doors. Are bar beers classified as "entertainment"? It's important as none of them are indoors and if so will be closed for how long? If not "entertainment" can carry on without music.

If the bars are closed indefinitely, I don't think I would be wrong to say it will be a very quiet or non existent high season in Pattaya.

Most beer bars have been open - in fact few ever closed... plenty of wine and women, but no song.:smile:

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You obviously have not been out and about in the last couple of evenings have you? As tropo says most beer bars never closed.

On 10/14/2016 at 3:19 PM, thaibeachlovers said:
52 minutes ago, topt said:

You obviously have not been out and about in the last couple of evenings have you? As tropo says most beer bars never closed.

Status-Report / Nightlife as of right now 20.00 Tue evening, Walking Str. will be reported on later tonight :-)

I did a drive by on most entertainment areas the last hour. Did not go into any venues, here the results:

1) Soi 7 & Soi 8:  98% of bars open, incl. couple Gogos. Most, but not all bars with  dimmed lights and no music. Most bars show sports on TV's, very few show Thai news. Most bars had regular staff numbers, it seems, a few obviously still reduced or just getting back to normal. Relatively few guests, but Soi 7 has been like this for years.

Life music venues were open, with exception of the Rock-Place opp. Eastiny-Inn, but NO music played!

2) Across from Soi 8 on 2nd. Rd. bar complex all the way to Bouakao. All open. Overall similar as above. medium busy.

3) Bouakao, all open, quite busy, some even played quiet music. Many with sports on TV. NO music with cocktail buses and outside

venues near Diana/Estate etc.

4) LK Metro. All beer bars seemed open, still few guests, as early evening. With exception of 2 or 3 dark Gogos, all en-closed Gogos & bars  seemed open with plenty of door & animation girls outside. Could hear music/bass behind closed doors from several. Almost all lights in general dimmed and neon off, so pretty dark and weird. Some of you might check the inside and report, I won't :-)

5) Soi Diana-Inn, all seems open and description similar to 1), also some bars playing low-volume music.

2) Naklua areas similar to Soi 7), seemed very quiet....

Will go for a walk and an ice-cream down South and post around 23.00, what the situation on W. Str. is. Another interesting point. This is usually rush hour for hundreds of busses and total chaos.. Seen only 4 buses all the way to roundabout and very reasonable traffic.

Enjoy the quiet, while it lasts. MS>