Thief asking for iPhone Apple ID password

KhunBN

On 10/21/2016 at 3:47 PM, johng said:

You should have reported it stolen straight away....but    if you have proof that it is your phone it should be very easy for the police to track it down and return it to you.

The police usually want you to have original box, proves it yours

Regarding the help of the police. 
My gardener stole our motorbike 3 months ago. We had a copy of his ID card. We reported to the police, i.e. a captain who is then responsible for this case (and only he!). The motor bike is worth roughly 17,000 Baht. I paid tea money 500 Baht and offered 25 % if I get the bike back. The thief still uses the old phone number. Hence it would be easy to track him. But for tracking him I would need to pay 10.000 Baht without any guarantee. So just a waste of time to go to the police.

Just an update.

i've gotten back the phone the next day after posting on facebook about the incident with screenshots of the conversation with the thief and her profile photos. The post had gotten around 150 shares where a few people got into contact with us with details about the culprit.

We agreed to meet with her friend but not the thief herself and the former returned the phone on the thief's behalf (apparently the thief said she was too embarassed to meet up)

Well, all is well now!

Edited by KhunBN

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 4:09 PM, Truscott said:

How was she able upload selfies without knowing the pass key?

When acquiring a used iPhone there are two levels which need to be cleared to be of full use to you.  First is needs to be unlocked from a carrier or factory unlocked.  I have read that even when you have an IT person unlock it reverts back to locked each time you update the IOS so important it is factory or carrier unlocked if you buy a used one.  A second an even more important criteria is that it is not linked to an Apple ITunes ID.  If so  you cannot make changes, updates, restore, etc. since you are unable to log into the iTunes account of the person to which the phone is linked.  Note you may have the phone set to download updates or new apps without reentering the password but other changes may require password input.   Regarding photos, if the phone is set up to periodically backup to ICloud this will be done automatically when using wifi or a regular basis.  This would have the new users photos uploaded to the original owners ICloud where they could see them which is not good for the current holder of the phone.  If location services are set up on the phone and ICloud you can pinpoint the current location and also erase the phone which is useful if you have accounts set up with saved passwords.

So, it is important when acquiring a used iPhone that the ITunes link is signed out so the new owner can link to their ITunes ID.  While the new user should be concerned they cannot link to their ITunes account they could be a basic user and aware of the importance of this feature and need.

9 hours ago, Chalard said:

Read post 35...!!!

I posted number 6, 2 days ago - long before 35, and it still could have been the photos were from a buyer who would be too ashamed to admit.  At any rate poster got his phone back without having to pay a ransom.  

50 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Must be a pretty stupid thief you can hack an I phone very quickly if you know how if you don't any phone shop would do it for you at a small price no questions asked. Why didn't you report 0hone stolen to I phone store they could block it forever.

Actually iPhones are hard to hack, it took the FBI months just recently to hack that bombers because Apple wouldn't help them, and with each software update it becomes hard again. The iPhone dev team don't have a hack for the latest software yet and it usually takes 12-24 months.

14 minutes ago, Wazza1 said:

Actually iPhones are hard to hack, it took the FBI months just recently to hack that bombers because Apple wouldn't help them, and with each software update it becomes hard again. The iPhone dev team don't have a hack for the latest software yet and it usually takes 12-24 months.

That's because they were going to use whatever was found in evidence therefore had to go through the legal route or any evidence found would not be admissible in a court of law. Where as a simple hack to open a password protected phone which has been nicked then to wipe the phone for use or resell is easy if you know what you are doing.

If she's is using your iPhone with your Apple ID why don't you just track her/him with find my iPhone and tell the police where they are.. also lock the phone. Put a message on the phone saying you will pay a reward.