Multi O-A Retirement Visa at Los Angeles Consulate

Keep in mind Los Angeles has the largest Thai population outside of Thailand, right nearby in Thai Town-Hollywood. So, they are very accommodating at that Thai consulate - been there a few times. Now, back to the consulate: when you have to kill an hour or two or at the end of the day,  just walk down the street on Larchmont (same street as the Thai consulate) about two blocks for some really outstanding Thai food in a great, upbeat environment at Chan Dara's.

Edited by lifeincnx

I'm still trying to get the retirement extension facts lined up. As mentioned on a previous post I said immigration told me I qualified but being on a tv that I'd extended it would be step by step arrangement so Id be better to go to an ajoining country and get a non O giving me 90 days and then extended here to one year stay. Just reading above, that a non O A gives multiple entry which seems preferable to me. Am I able to get this in Lao etc? 

What is the time to enter from getting visa?

What would my total costs be?

As you probably noticed, I'm not too flash on internet knowledge. 

Any facts much appreciated.

Thanks. 

I'm still trying to get the retirement extension facts lined up. As mentioned on a previous post I said immigration told me I qualified but being on a tv that I'd extended it would be step by step arrangement so Id be better to go to an ajoining country and get a non O giving me 90 days and then extended here to one year stay. Just reading above, that a non O A gives multiple entry which seems preferable to me. Am I able to get this in Lao etc? 
Thanks. 

You can only obtain a non imm o-a multi entry visa from a Thai Embassy or Consulate in your home country.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 10/22/2016 at 9:48 PM, jimlek said:

Thanks. 

If you are already here your best option would be to go out for a single entry non-o visa (2000 baht). You will need to show the same financial proof needed for the extension except that the money on has to be in the bank on the date you apply.

The after getting the non-o visa you would apply for the extension of stay (1900 baht) during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from it.

• Like 1

Thanks UbonJoe. So when I get the non O, which immigration on seeing my proof of income say I'm qualified to get,once stamped in my passport,how long from that date,do I have in which I must enter Thailand, and where do you suggest is the best Embassy /consulate to apply at? Many thanks. 

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you are already your best option would be to go out for a single entry non-o visa (2000 baht). You will need to show the same financial proof needed for the extension excepe that money on has to be in the bank on the date you apply.

The after getting the non-o visa you would apply for the extension of stay (1900 baht) during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from it.

Edited by jimlek
Not completed.

10 hours ago, jimlek said:

Thanks UbonJoe. So when I get the non O, which immigration on seeing my proof of income say I'm qualified to get,once stamped in my passport,how long from that date,do I have in which I must enter Thailand, and where do you suggest is the best Embassy /consulate to apply at? Many thanks. 

A single entry non-o visa is valid for 3 months to use for entry from the date of issue.

Vientiane Laos or Penang Malaysia are the best nearby locations to get the single entry non-o visa based upon being 50 or over.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jimlek said:

Thank you Joe. To clarify, my income paperwork is dated 30-09-16, how long is that valid for? 

After paying the 1,900 THb for the extension in the last 30 days of the 90 days how long a stay will I be given then? 

A income letter from your embassy that is up to 6 months old will be accepted.

You will apply for a one year extension (365 days on the application form) and that is what you will get. 

Then after that you only need to do reports of staying longer than 90 days in the county.

• Like 1

You will apply for a one year extension (365 days on the application form) and that is what you will get. 

To begin, I believe, at the expiration of your 90 day permission of stay. Thus, if you apply on day 61 of your 90 day permission of stay, you'll then have 394 days permission of stay when you walk out of Immigration.

• Like 1

LA is tops in the US...that white guy will answer the phone, too.   I cut it close on my flights a few times and he was helpful.  They still have bad hair days at Kalorama, but at least someone explained the stupidity of having your signatures notarized on government documents.  Seen them require onward tickets for a TV in DC before. Doctor in DC will do health cert for 55 USD.  Finova occupational health told me 400.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

46 minutes ago, jimlek said:

Jim Gant,guess I'll have to wait and see. Always good to get some extra if that's correct. 

I'll leave it to the expert, ubonjoe, to confirm or deny. My  post was just an off-the-top-of-my-head recollection (and these ain't  what they used to be :))

10 hours ago, JimGant said:

To begin, I believe, at the expiration of your 90 day permission of stay. Thus, if you apply on day 61 of your 90 day permission of stay, you'll then have 394 days permission of stay when you walk out of Immigration.

6 hours ago, jimlek said:

Jim Gant,guess I'll have to wait and see. Always good to get some extra if that's correct. 

5 hours ago, JimGant said:

I'll leave it to the expert, ubonjoe, to confirm or deny. My  post was just an off-the-top-of-my-head recollection (and these ain't  what they used to be :))

The 365 days starts from the date you current permit to stay ends. You gain no days from doing it early. You would just have a total allowed stay of 394 days from the date the extension is stamped in your passport.

On October 24, 2016 at 9:20 PM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

LA is tops in the US...that white guy will answer the phone, too.   I cut it close on my flights a few times and he was helpful.  They still have bad hair days at Kalorama, but at least someone explained the stupidity of having your signatures notarized on government documents.  Seen them require onward tickets for a TV in DC before. Doctor in DC will do health cert for 55 USD.  Finova occupational health told me 400.

Chicago is also very good with easy parking on the street, just bring your forms pre-filled out from internet, give to them with passport and they mail it all next day. With all the complaining I've heard about the US post office, it is rare that a standard letter takes more than one day to arrive. Best in the world by far.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The Royal Thai Consulate in Los Angeles still provides great customer service.  I arrived on a Thursday at 0900.   The Visa window consul staff member accepted my application packet and gave me a receipt.  I returned on Friday at 1030 and I got my passport with my new Non-Immigrant O-A Multiple Entry Visa.  The hardest part of the entire process wast the two hour drive in the worst Los Angeles traffic I witnessed in over 40 years of living in California.  

• Like 1

On 10/24/2016 at 10:20 AM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Doctor in DC will do health cert for 55 USD.  Finova occupational health told me 400.

May I please have the contact for the D.C. health cert? I'll apply for an O.A retirement this summer in DC/NY whichever is least hassle.

5 hours ago, Jamin123 said:

May I please have the contact for the D.C. health cert? I'll apply for an O.A retirement this summer in DC/NY whichever is least hassle.

https://www.washingtontravelclinic.com/   Dr. Abl is Lebanese, and is an expert on these forms.  He guarantees his form to work.   

You can park on the street for up to two hours for 50 cents per half hour.  I am not sure that you can really pick your place, it is based on your residence, which will affect your police report.  What state are you a resident of?

14 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

https://www.washingtontravelclinic.com/   Dr. Abl is Lebanese, and is an expert on these forms.  He guarantees his form to work.   

You can park on the street for up to two hours for 50 cents per half hour.  I am not sure that you can really pick your place, it is based on your residence, which will affect your police report.  What state are you a resident of?

Awesome! Ill be using him for all my future O.A applications 

Don't know about Maryland, but if a Virginia resident, the police report needed for your O-A visa is pretty cut and dried. $15, and it comes back notarized. As the header for the application says, it's for the purpose (among several choices) of getting a Visa:

CRIMINAL HISTORY RECORD NAME SEARCH REQUEST
PURPOSE OF THIS REQUEST (Check only one):
DOMESTIC ADOPTION INTERNATIONAL ADOPTION
COUNTRY
VISA (INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL)

OTHER (please specify)

Download from the State Police website.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Don't know about Maryland, but if a Virginia resident, the police report needed for your O-A visa is pretty cut and dried. $15, and it comes back notarized. As the header for the application says, it's for the purpose (among several choices) of getting a Visa:

Download from the State Police website.

It has been three years for me, but then it was a local police report, so I just walked into my local cop shop and handed the dispatcher my license showing I was a resident.  No charge.  Have the notary rules changed at Kalorama?  Also, she didn't like my brokerage account statement which was issued on the first, and it was the 13th.  I explained to her that they only do them once a month.  I didn't argue that one with her, I had another account, where I had printed out a current balance statement, but it wasn't really an official monthly statement.  So if you are using monthly statement, try and back it up with a printout or even screen shot of the previous day.

It has been three years for me, but then it was a local police report,

From the Thai Embassy site:

Letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification have to valid for not more than three months and must be issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only. Online criminal record without authorizer’s signature is unacceptable )

Looks like the local cop option has gone. But, the Virginia State Police form was painless -- about a 10 day turnaround. No fingerprints, nor other speedbumps required (unlike for an FBI report). Notarization was just part of the Va package, and is not required by the Thai Embassy (nor any notarization, for that matter -- good deal).

Online printout of my Air Force pay statement was acceptable.

Traffic to Kalorama area tolerable, at least the two days I went. Parking, too, was easy (however, had I lived out any further than Alexandria, I would have used mail).

Pleasant service. Attractive Thai lady local hire, thus no MFA BS.

• Like 1

So it appears that the police report has been the only screws to tighten in three years...and still no fingerprints or FBI check.  They may be the only one of the four that don't require the notary circus....therefore, I would probably rate them as easiest, and 55 usd for the medical form only a short ride away.  There was a cute youngish Thai girl in there...she said, "do you want to do it the easy way?"  So apparently, she has dealt with a lot of TVF members, who just thrive on doing things the hard way.  And she didn't mean slip her some cash.  Recently, someone was on here totally misrepresenting the process in DC, and thanks for verifying that he was not stating the facts.  But,  LA seems to be the only one you can call and speak with a white guy....however, that was for TV; not O-A, so it is a different animal.  You could probably do no return ticket at LA; and a lot less likely at DC.