May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

8 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

But what part will Farage play in the upcoming negotiations? How will he even influence them? The government has made a big point of distancing itself from him.

There'll be lots of cheering and jeering from the sidelines, but it appears that TM has the actual negotiating team under control.  Not sure how much leakage there'll be on the EU side though.....

4 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

But what part will Farage play in the upcoming negotiations? How will he even influence them? The government has made a big point of distancing itself from him.

Do you think for one moment that the government is operating in a cocoon when they carry out these negotiations. May will have her eye on every by-election between now and 2020

Farage and his hard line ilk will be pushing for the hardest Brexit. Shortly following the Brexit result Farage attended a party at which several of the more extreme right wing of the Tory party including MPs were present and at which he received a rousing reception. You must be living in la la land if you think that May isn't still under pressure from that wing of the party and any deal that she finally brokers..

3 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

Do you think for one moment that the government is operating in a cocoon when they carry out these negotiations. May will have her eye on every by-election between now and 2020

Farage and his hard line ilk will be pushing for the hardest Brexit. Shortly following the Brexit result Farage attended a party at which several of the more extreme right wing of the Tory party including MPs were present and at which he received a rousing reception. You must be living in la la land if you think that May isn't still under pressure from that wing of the party and any deal that she finally brokers..

I think she's under more pressure from the majority of voters who voted for Briexit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

I think you're clutching at straws in your  inane pursuit of an easy target (Farage).

31 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

Good I see you have addressed what I said. No surprise there.

There is nothing to address. You are trying to argue that Farage is a playa in the upcoming negotiations (which is plainly nonsense) in your attempt to justify your inane attcks on him as somehow being ontopic. Frankly, you come across as a boring flat track bully :coffee1:.

6 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

There is nothing to address. You are trying to argue that Farage is a playa in the upcoming negotiations (which is plainly nonsense) in your attempt to justify your inane attcks on him as somehow being ontopic. Frankly, you come across as a boring flat track bully :coffee1:.

Yep no answer just resort to name calling. Farage is not a player and yet since the referendum we have moved from being assured that we would remain part of the single market to leaving the single market and somehow this has nothing to do with the hardline adopted by the likes of Farage and his allies in the Tory Party. 

Let me remind you what the leader of the Brexit campaign said to the Britsh people. "The UK will 'still have access to single market’ despite Brexit". Its curious how Farage has received so much credit for his campaign to take us out of the EU but now we are being told that he is of no consequence. However I am quite prepared to let Farage speak for himself.

An ecstatic Nigel Farage hailed Theresa May for stealing Ukip’s “phrases and words”, within minutes of her landmark Brexit speech. 

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

He has been campaigning for this length of time to be made redundant. exactly the same as those SNP's in Westminster. Do you not see the comparison.

Campaigning( while balls deep in the same EU gravy train which he claims to hate so much) for Brexit from Europe as part of the Brussels machine? ...how exactly does that work? ..seeing as the only people who can make that decision are in the UK?

Not even remotely the same as MSP's in Westminster.

Edited by onthesoi
  • Like 1

I wonder how members feel about the possible break up of the Union given the likely result when Scotland get their second referendum? Or is this off topic?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Seeing as Scotland voted to remain in the United Kingdom & they won't managed to break the Union.

I'm originally a Scot and my views on the SNP are best focused on a thread of its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many more times?

Nobody is THREATENING anybody. We've been through this already. 

When you check heck out of a hotel after a splendid holiday, you check the bill and then pay. Do you feel threatened by the manager?

Just pay whatever is correct and go. 

Having reread my post I don't recall anything mentioning 'threatening' at all.

Now back on topic....There's plenty of open sources (not just this forum) that has documented the EU political seniors warning the U.K. that it has to be fiscally penalised.

Barnier & Co have made no secret to the fact it's the formula not the final Brexit Bill that needs focused on.

Lastly, the EU knows whom has the stronger hand & the pending negotiations is mainly about minimising litigation amongst other important serious issues, the EU wants to send a clear defined message against any other member considering leaving.

17 minutes ago, citybiker said:

Seeing as Scotland voted to remain in the United Kingdom & they won't managed to break the Union.

I'm originally a Scot and my views on the SNP are best focused on a thread of its own.

You are a Scot - fullstop!  Scottishness is not something you can pick up or put down. :smile:

Edited by jpinx

17 minutes ago, citybiker said:

Having reread my post I don't recall anything mentioning 'threatening' at all.

Now back on topic....There's plenty of open sources (not just this forum) that has documented the EU political seniors warning the U.K. that it has to be fiscally penalised.

Barnier & Co have made no secret to the fact it's the formula not the final Brexit Bill that needs focused on.

Lastly, the EU knows whom has the stronger hand & the pending negotiations is mainly about minimising litigation amongst other important serious issues, the EU wants to send a clear defined message against any other member considering leaving.

What he means is that *he* feels threatened . ;)

The punishment warnings were indeed vociferous initially, but the rhetoric has toned down considerably in recent days.  Several things have happened -- Schultz and Junkers are bowing out, so UK is not being subjected to their highly personal vitriol anymore, and the rest of the EU team have taken a peek at the numbers and realised that the EU actually needs UK to be a happy friendly neighbour - even more so during the current round of elections potentially causing other, less-expected exits..

P.S. -- Scottish thread here...http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/967800-british-pm-anticipates-call-for-scottish-independence-referendum-report/?do=findComment&comment=11615045

Edited by jpinx
  • Like 1

What he means is that *he* feels threatened . [emoji6]
The punishment warnings were indeed vociferous initially, but the rhetoric has toned down considerably in recent days.  Several things have happened -- Schultz and Junkers are bowing out, so UK is not being subjected to their highly personal vitriol anymore, and the rest of the EU team have taken a peek at the numbers and realised that the EU actually needs UK to be a happy friendly neighbour - even more so during the current round of elections potentially causing other, less-expected exits..

P.S. -- Scottish thread here...http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/967800-british-pm-anticipates-call-for-scottish-independence-referendum-report/?do=findComment&comment=11615045

Thanks for replying.

IIRC Schultz isn't bowing out, he's possibly attempting to succeed Merkel.

Junker on the other hand, I've researched him along with seeing plenty of videos of him 'will not be missed'.

The UK has already stated it wished to remain a good European neighbour post Brexit that's always been David Davis constant message.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jpinx said:

What he means is that *he* feels threatened . ;)

Tripe

I don't feel threatened by anyone, though I do worry about the way much of the world is going

All this "threatening" stuff is journalists over egging the pudding

After a long and boring analysis several days ago, a junior French official used a double negative

I had thought you had calmed down a bit....

16 minutes ago, citybiker said:

Thanks for replying.

IIRC Schultz isn't bowing out, he's possibly attempting to succeed Merkel.

Junker on the other hand, I've researched him along with seeing plenty of videos of him 'will not be missed'.

The UK has already stated it wished to remain a good European neighbour post Brexit that's always been David Davis constant message.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/european-parliament-president-martin-schulz-to-step-down-1479990522

I think you're right and he's after Mama Merkels job, but that'll take a bit of fancy footwork through the German elections.

Here's hoping that TM's team keep cool heads and eyes wide open with all the crap flying around like bats at sunset.

4 hours ago, pitrevie said:

Yep no answer just resort to name calling. Farage is not a player and yet since the referendum we have moved from being assured that we would remain part of the single market to leaving the single market and somehow this has nothing to do with the hardline adopted by the likes of Farage and his allies in the Tory Party. 

Let me remind you what the leader of the Brexit campaign said to the Britsh people. "The UK will 'still have access to single market’ despite Brexit". Its curious how Farage has received so much credit for his campaign to take us out of the EU but now we are being told that he is of no consequence. However I am quite prepared to let Farage speak for himself.

An ecstatic Nigel Farage hailed Theresa May for stealing Ukip’s “phrases and words”, within minutes of her landmark Brexit speech. 

Ah! The government isn't developing it's brexit strategy from professional advice or even it's own instincts. It's all being put into place off the back of Nigel Farage's musings. Got it. You're hilarious :biggrin:.

4 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Ah! The government isn't developing it's brexit strategy from professional advice or even it's own instincts. It's all being put into place off the back of Nigel Farage's musings. Got it. You're hilarious :biggrin:.

Once again no attempt to address what is being said. In little over 6 months the government has ditched retaining access to the single market on which the referendum was fought. To quote you, " And it's relevance to the upcoming brexit negotiations is? "

Something I missed earlier from your reply which about sums up the accuracy of your remarks, "And, I've noticed, one that you use on your twitter account all the time." Perhaps you would like to explain that nonsense.

10 hours ago, onthesoi said:

Campaigning( while balls deep in the same EU gravy train which he claims to hate so much) for Brexit from Europe as part of the Brussels machine? ...how exactly does that work? ..seeing as the only people who can make that decision are in the UK?

Not even remotely the same as MSP's in Westminster.

Let's look at what's proven. Many more instances if you care to look,

or do you prefare to keep your head in the ground.

image.jpeg

34 minutes ago, nontabury said:

image.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Flying business class! OMG! ?!

I guess you don't know the main reason for flying Club on domestic or short haul in Europe....

That's an average of 350 pounds per flight. Hardly a big deal. BTW, its called business class for those on business oddly enough. And as for 'standard class', there is a the giveaway. No such thing. Its called economy class.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

That's an average of 350 pounds per flight. Hardly a big deal. BTW, its called business class for those on business oddly enough. And as for 'standard class', there is a the giveaway. No such thing. Its called economy class.

For those who don't know, it's all about flexibility. You don't want to have to rush away from a meeting to catch a flight when there's another one two hours later.

The airlines know this and charge what they can get away with.

15 hours ago, Khun Han said:

My point about Osborne was to highlight the offtopic nature of the Farage posts. But I suppose, when the arguments are as threadbare as yours, attacking the public figures, particularly the peripheral ones, is an easy option. And, I've noticed, one that you use on your twitter account all the time.

Perhaps you would like to explain the remark about twitter I have no idea what you are talking about and more to the point I suspect neither do you.

12 hours ago, Grouse said:

https://www.jrf.org.uk/report/brexit-vote-explained-poverty-low-skills-and-lack-opportunities

Here you are Brexiteers!

Everything you needed to know about the referendum but did not dare ask

The above is from the Rowntree Foundation. It is an academic analysis of the referendum. I have had to put up with criticism for a year on this issue. They even concur with the inequality point. Finally, the author explained on The Politics yesterday why this could be the death knell of Labour (nothing to do with Corbyn). He reckons that Labour's traditional base want both economic protectionism AND cultural protectionism. That splits metro multicultural Labour types from those in the industrial heartlands. Meanwhile the Con Party will make hay. Maybe Blair/Schroeder/ Clinton style social democracy is dead? Maybe time for a new Liberal resurgence to counter balance the Tories?

3 hours ago, nontabury said:

image.jpeg

Bad example --  that post has been kicked to death many times since it first appeared many months ago.  That lady actually is the one who made the excellent remarks on UK being able to pay for wars, but not pensioners.....    

Edited by jpinx
  • Like 2

On February 9, 2017 at 1:07 AM, jpinx said:

Have any of you actually gone around London recently and seen the rate of building projects being abandoned, or have any of you spoken first hand to EO's of any of the big finance houses in London to ask about their move to Europe?   ;) 

These people are delusional if they think the EU will ever allow their banking/insurance industries to be centered in a non-EU nation.

1 minute ago, pegman said:

These people are delusional if they think the EU will ever allow their banking/insurance industries to be centered in a non-EU nation.

Did you miss the question? ;)

2 minutes ago, pegman said:
  On 09/02/2017 at 7:07 AM, jpinx said:

Have any of you actually gone around London recently and seen the rate of building projects being abandoned, or have any of you spoken first hand to EO's of any of the big finance houses in London to ask about their move to Europe?   ;)