May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

7 hours ago, Grouse said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/brexit-latest-scientist-andre-geim-graphene-discovery-university-manchester-eu-exit-withdrawal-a7886416.html

This is just terrible

The dunderheeds won't understand but they are in the majority. What to do ?

the free movement part of this is fully in the hands of the UK gov, also after a Brexit

top notch research normally attracts grants, there are quite a number of outside-EU reserach efforts that receive

EU grants, and it has been that way for quite a few years

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

But whose version of the truth?

Yours, Khun Han, Mine, Grouse, Nontabury, Shueng whatsisname.

What you are stating the truth is  perhaps the truth that you want to see> Other people are doing exactly the same and to be really honest it doesn't matter what we all want to see as we have NO input into any decision anyway.

It will be done be the poeple that Theresa May selects and the people that the EU select and there isn't a damn thing that you, I or anybody else can do to change it.

Just go with the flow, let other people take the stress and strain and when the final decisions are made learn to live with it, because you certainly won't be able to change it.

Couldn't agree more.

Big business (supported by politicians) will find a way to achieve their desired result.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

And the 'evidence' provided by remainers is always economic forecasters (:shock1:), unnamed sources or former aides who turn out, on further investigation, to be either campaigners for remain or former advisers to the EU.

As opposed to your claims e.g, the City of London is moving en masse to Europe source unknown, unspecified and entirely in your imagination.

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Couldn't agree more.

D

Big business (supported by politicians) will find a way to achieve their desired result.

Agree to a large exent

It follows that brexit or no brexit is not crucial for the Uks financiakal future

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

What you are stating the truth is  perhaps the truth that you want to see> Other people are doing exactly the same and to be really honest it doesn't matter what we all want to see as we have NO input into any decision anyway.

It will be done be the poeple that Theresa May selects and the people that the EU select and there isn't a damn thing that you, I or anybody else can do to change it.

Just go with the flow, let other people take the stress and strain and when the final decisions are made learn to live with it, because you certainly won't be able to change it.

Sheung whatisname. :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, Grouse said:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40894089

I think this explains a great deal

Maybe it does Grouse dont' know. My internet connection is worse than lousy.

I waited 1.5 can of Chang for your link to open, it didn't.

Guess my main point is that there is a WHOLE LOT of agencies and activities linked to the EU that UK may (should) want

to participate in, also after a Brexit.

Research being just one of 'em.

16 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Maybe it does Grouse dont' know. My internet connection is worse than lousy.

I waited 1.5 can of Chang for your link to open, it didn't.

Guess my main point is that there is a WHOLE LOT of agencies and activities linked to the EU that UK may (should) want

to participate in, also after a Brexit.

Research being just one of 'em.

The link works ?

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

The 'truth' from those pesky evidence 'experts' who have only spend their lives and beautiful minds sweating out policy , strategy and delivery. The ones you know who keeps the lights on and the trains running and the internet up and running. And those that man our hospitals and clinics and universities and make sure your pension is paid and the atm's that work. Business and stuff ! Those folk the technocrati who toil often in obscurity but we would damn well miss if they ever stopped working. Rather than the disadadvantaged ner do wells with life sized chips on their shoulder spluttering into their Changs about too many immigrants. To put it simply (and bluntly).....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

The 'truth' from those pesky evidence 'experts' who have only spend their lives and beautiful minds sweating out policy , strategy and delivery. The ones you know who keeps the lights on and the trains running and the internet up and running. And those that man our hospitals and clinics and universities and make sure your pension is paid and the atm's that work. Business and stuff ! Those folk the technocrati who toil often in obscurity but we would damn well miss if they ever stopped working. Rather than the disadadvantaged ner do wells with life sized chips on their shoulder spluttering into their Changs about too many immigrants. To put it simply (and bluntly).....

Nice try but you didn't answer the question I asked.

They have a job to do that they get paid for, just as I did but I never claimed to be an expert. It doesn't make them an expert either.

A quote from your post that I am responding to.

"Rather than the disadadvantaged ner do wells with life sized chips on their shoulder spluttering into their Changs about too many immigrants."

If you think that I am one of them then you have no idea about me at all, nor do I drink Chang.

I am quite happy for immigrants to go to the UK Provided that they can support themselves at no cost to the state, in just the same way that I do here in Thailand. It is the ones that don't pay their way and are a net drain on the UK society that I wouldn't want in the UK.

If you want "To put it simply (and bluntly)....." then please do so.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

The link works ?

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

The link works ?

At last, it did. Not really related to the research topic though.

But an interesting read and offers a view on challenges for the UK society, brexit or no brexit.'

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Rather than the disadadvantaged ner do wells with life sized chips on their shoulder spluttering into their Changs

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If you think that I am one of them then you have no idea about me at all, nor do I drink Chang.

I drink Chang. I do look down on Leo drinkers though.

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Nice try but you didn't answer the question I asked.

They have a job to do that they get paid for, just as I did but I never claimed to be an expert. It doesn't make them an expert either.

A quote from your post that I am responding to.

"Rather than the disadadvantaged ner do wells with life sized chips on their shoulder spluttering into their Changs about too many immigrants."

I am quite happy for immigrants to go to the UK Provided that they can support themselves at no cost to the state, in just the same way that I do here in Thailand. It is the ones that don't pay their way and are a net drain on the UK society that I wouldn't want in the UK.

If you want "To put it simply (and bluntly)....." then please do so.

I retract as  I am being vituperative and tarring many with the same stereotypical brush. That said there is a sizeable proportion of the Brexit constituency that are frankly unpleasant bedfellows. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

I retract as  I am being vituperative and tarring many with the same stereotypical brush. That said there is a sizeable proportion of the Brexit constituency that are frankly unpleasant bedfellows. 

There may well be but I personally don't know of any. I live in Nakhon Nowhere and my nearest fulltime farang neighbours are about 20km away and they are Australians.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Scott said:

I look down on everyone, until I've had way, way too much to drink and then I find myself looking up at everyone (from the floor).  

As interesting as all this is, it might be best to stick a little closer to the topic.  

Point taken boss.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

There may well be but I personally don't know of any. I live in Nakhon Nowhere and my nearest fulltime farang neighbours are about 20km away and they are Australians.

Crikey, Thailand is bigger than I thought!

Ask the Aussies if they would join the EU and they would laugh at you and say 'Crikey stupid Poms' Yes and they would be right.

What the Aussies are waiting for is for the Queen to pass away so they can become a republic. Most Australians I know here in Thailand are as bitter about the Monarchy as the Brits are about the EU.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Ask the Aussies if they would join the EU and they would laugh at you and say 'Crikey stupid Poms' Yes and they would be right.

As you didn't get the last quip, how about this?

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/market-access-trade/fta

Machine intelligence is often concerned with learning from data sets.

What can you learn from Australia's FTAs?

That's correct! They're with their closest neighbours typically!

They are indeed laughing at us: for being so damned stupid!

Anyone interested in the gravitational theory of trade should look no further than here:-

GravityModel.pdf

Trade is often proportional to the economic mass of two counties and inversely proportional to the distance squared ( I accept that beta3 maybe a bit less than 2). I assume Michael J Fox or whatever he's called is aware of this and will concentrate on the nearest, largest economies? Germany, France and Italy would be an intelligent start! ?

Edited by Grouse
Laughter