May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

I really don't think so, I know of plenty of others like me who already have over 70% of their assets in THB and have had so for many years, the value of the Pound and its exchange rate is not relevant to me and it wont be a factor that could affect my lifestyle for at least another ten years.

7 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I really don't think so, I know of plenty of others like me who already have over 70% of their assets in THB and have had so for many years, the value of the Pound and its exchange rate is not relevant to me and it wont be a factor that could affect my lifestyle for at least another ten years.

Great . You have committed yourself to a third world country where you have almost no say in anything yet you want to have a say in the future of a country you have no commitment to. 

1 hour ago, aright said:

Great . You have committed yourself to a third world country where you have almost no say in anything yet you want to have a say in the future of a country you have no commitment to. 

I will return upon the death of the tory party.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Calling people that disagree with you "trolls" is not realy very helpful, unless of course you are preparing for civil war......

Poor Han is on the wrong side of the Pennines in December. I believe SAD is indeed the word. 

Off for my early morning swim shortly ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aright said:

That's correct, are you OK with those things, I am. BTW the correct term is "developing economy", the term third world dies out after the cold war.

Edited by simoh1490
  • Like 1

I see this morning that the UK has cancelled Trump's intended visit and has got into a significant spat with (come what) May, this as a result of his re-tweet of an anti-Muslim video. Knowing how "grown up and adult" Trump can be about such things I suspect future trade deals are now at risk, for the moment at least,....what were we saying recently about these trade deals, don't count your chickens until........!

3 hours ago, aright said:

it would be wrong to influence a vote or an opinion which has an effect on UK  residents but whose result has no effect on them. 

What a silly if not bizarre thing to say, are you really suggesting that all non-resident British nationals who have been outside the UK for more than 180 days, should lose their vote, what about taking away their passports also and perhaps require them to apply for visa's if they want to return for a holiday!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Grouse said:

Morning!

The pound rose on the news that the hard Brexiters look weakened and the possibility of a soft Brexit including remaining in the customs union has surged ahead. 

Happy now?

Where's my pipe?

Exactly,  - "the pound rose", If that was to be described as a "soar", then there is nothing in the dictionary to describe the drop following the referendum.

The elephant just keeps on growing. But on the bright side the government would stand to save £1bn.

The Democratic Unionist Party has threatened to rethink its deal to prop up Theresa May in power if she compromises over the Irish border after Brexit.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/dup-theresa-may-tory-deal-ireland-border-brexit-irish-border-northern-ireland-a8085046.html

8 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I believe the problem is the opposite of what you cite, many remainers are expats here in Thailand whilst lots of forum Brexiteers are UK resident, wishing they weren't, why else would they spend all their waking hours on TVF!

I voted for Brexit and I have worked and lived here since 1993 on and off and full time since 2009.

• Like 1

My dog in this fight is because although I live full time in Thailand, I am a UK taxpayer and have been since 1959, and I am also a registered voter in the UK.

Yes I voted Brexit and according to Grouse I am ill qualified to pass comment, under educated, stupid and all of the other insults he has cast over time on the people who voted for Brexit.

This of course is only his opinion and it has as much value as mine.

I live in rural Thailand and I don't drink in the bars of BKK, Pattaya or anywhere else.

You are as entitled to your opinion as anyone else Bill no matter how much I might disagree with your position on brexit.

I find it ridiculous that some of us are being described as “trolls” because we live in Thailand on a forum aimed at expats living in Thailand by some who appear to have reached peak ‘little englander’.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Orac said:

You are as entitled to your opinion as anyone else Bill no matter how much I might disagree with your position on brexit.

I find it ridiculous that some of us are being described as “trolls” because we live in Thailand on a forum aimed at expats living in Thailand by some who appear to have reached peak ‘little englander’.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Aint that just the truth!

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

If you had your month where I think you had it then a lot of those bar flies are pro remain as the only thing they are probably interested in is the number of baht they can get for their pension pounds; understandable I suppose but only due to self-interest really. If the situation was reversed and the pound was likely to increase in value due to leaving the EU, I would bet that they would quickly become pro-leave. The reasons that they prefer Thailand are probably obvious for these people, with hundreds on display in Soi 6!!

But the British, wherever they are, should have the right to say what happens in the UK  There is no right of abode in Thailand for the vast majority of British nationals. None of the British in Thailand, or wherever, can know for sure if they might need to return to the UK sometime in the future, wherever they are.

Personally, my decision was more related to the preservation of my country as I know it and prefer it to be, as well as the future and rights of the younger members of my extended family, with all of them revealing to me the surprising fact that they voted for leave! So there is yet hope.   

There will, of course, be a small element of truth in what you write, for a change, some UK Pensioners will almost certainly have voted Remain on the basis of what could happen to the Pound if we were to Brexit. Many of the UK Pensioners who live in Thailand currently will have come here many years ago when the exchange rate meant they could support themselves in Thailand, the fall in the value of the Pound subsequently means that many can no longer do so and a hard Brexit would mean they will never be able to do so again. But I think the handful of people actually in that category can be forgiven for their primary motives, in truth many already had "bit the bullet" and returned a couple of years ago when it was clear and obvious that the Pound would never return to the level of 2004. But that was just the first tranche, the second tranche of pensioners are still here, living on the edge and wondering whether or not the Pound will be able to maintain half of its 2004 levels, before they too are forced back, a sad state of affairs for a 70 year old in the final years of his/her life. Percentage-wise, my guess is they are very very small in total and certainly far too old to be playing around in soi 6, that's left for the younger guys to waste their money on.

8 hours ago, aright said:

Unfortunately, the same applies to the UK to an increasing extent!

36 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

There will, of course, be a small element of truth in what you write, for a change, some UK Pensioners will almost certainly have voted Remain on the basis of what could happen to the Pound if we were to Brexit. Many of the UK Pensioners who live in Thailand currently will have come here many years ago when the exchange rate meant they could support themselves in Thailand, the fall in the value of the Pound subsequently means that many can no longer do so and a hard Brexit would mean they will never be able to do so again. But I think the handful of people actually in that category can be forgiven for their primary motives, in truth many already had "bit the bullet" and returned a couple of years ago when it was clear and obvious that the Pound would never return to the level of 2004. But that was just the first tranche, the second tranche of pensioners are still here, living on the edge and wondering whether or not the Pound will be able to maintain half of its 2004 levels, before they too are forced back, a sad state of affairs for a 70 year old in the final years of his/her life. Percentage-wise, my guess is they are very very small in total and certainly far too old to be playing around in soi 6, that's left for the younger guys to waste their money on.

All elements of my post were true. The majority of the British seniors in Thailand that I know, who significantly rely on pensions, are of the same mind and I'm not surprised about that. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, vogie said:

TV members (brexeteer chapter) have just had a whip round to buy you a house in Wythenshawe.

How nice. Hopefully I can flip it. I shouldn't be too critical. Some Hong Kong money is going into Manchester new build units.

3 hours ago, nauseus said:

All elements of my post were true. The majority of the British seniors in Thailand that I know, who significantly rely on pensions, are of the same mind and I'm not surprised about that. 

If Brexit was fuelled by an anti immigrant agenda why would British immigrants in Thailand or ex-pats anywhere vote for it? Typical Brexit untruths thinking it's all about money.