May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

From today's Guardian:

Theresa May’s political weakness was brutally exposed to Brussels on Monday as an agreement struck between Britain and the EU to solve the problem of the Irish border and move to the next phase of Brexit talks was torpedoed by a last-minute telephone call with the leader of the Democratic Unionist party.

I will not comment, except for:

I told you so!

You're way behind....

I forecast shortly after May became PM that the eventual 'deal' would be pretty much the UK paying nearly as much to remain a supposedly 'non-member' - whilst retaining open borders etc.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, AlexRich said:

It looks like the inevitable deal will be hated by everybody in parts, just different parts depending on what side of the argument you sit. What we had before June 2016 will be seen as vastly superior to what we will get when all is done and dusted.

Bad enough as that is, we might well end up with a Marxist government adding insult to injury, after the right wing Tories that support a hard line Brexit tear their party apart. 

But we will have taken our country back so we can then break it apart.  Sovereignty innit...:sad:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Hang on a minute.  A certain poster finds it entertaining to come up with more insulting, obscure insults against those with a different opinion to himself - but always generalised to avoid the 'insulting specific poster' rules.

Surely this 'elephant in the room' should have been addressed a long time ago?

Pursuant to this point, the poster said (in one of the brexit threads) along the lines of 'negotiated with mods. re. previous insulting term' with those that disagreed with his opinion and agreed to not use the insult anymore - so changed it to another insult.  But still 'general' - thereby circumventing forum rules....

Edited by dick dasterdly

19 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Some people never stop crying.

I would like to point out that the UK government has been underhand ever since the CQV act 1666, and the introduction of Admiralty Law...It is upsetting that one can never trust the government or their media.

3 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

I would like to point out that the UK government has been underhand ever since the CQV act 1666, and the introduction of Admiralty Law...It is upsetting that one can never trust the government or their media.

Yes, ever since 1666 the UK has been in one long steady decline.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

There is a whiff of Common Law Freeman nonsense in your post - you aren't a believer in this legal name fraud are you ?

40 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Pursuant to this point, the poster said (in one of the brexit threads) along the lines of 'negotiated with mods. re. previous insulting term' with those that disagreed with his opinion and agreed to not use the insult anymore - so changed it to another insult.  But still 'general' - thereby circumventing forum rules....

Whatever are you going in about, perhaps take your personal issues of line and PM mods to settle the point.

Edited by simoh1490

We are witnessing the death of Brexit in real time , blow by blow as hapless May tries to keep all her balls in the air and drops them one by one. The EU have run rings round her particularly so as she was mortally wounded at the last election they must sense victory. But this was always going to happen as we approached the crunch point real-politik has replaced empty sloganeering. I predict we will have a business friendly Brexit lite with some renamed version and tinkered  of the EEA as the end point. Which will be far from perfect but infinitely better than a hard Brexit. and then Corbyn.......

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

We are witnessing the death of Brexit in real time , blow by blow as hapless May tries to keep all her balls in the air and drops them one by one. The EU have run rings round her particularly so as she was mortally wounded at the last election they must sense victory. But this was always going to happen as we approached the crunch point real-politik has replaced empty sloganeering. I predict we will have a business friendly Brexit lite with some renamed version and tinkered  of the EEA as the end point. Which will be far from perfect but infinitely better than a hard Brexit. and then Corbyn.......

I think you are dreaming if you believe the tories will be back in power any time in the first half of this century!

The worst PM in living memory!

19 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I think you are dreaming if you believe the tories will be back in power any time in the first half of this century!

The worst PM in living memory!

I think YOU are dreaming if you believe that UK voters will return a Corbyn government.

22 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Instead we can look forward to Jeremy Corbyn taking us back to the 70's giving more powers to trade unions, forcing wage caps on businesses and nationalising businesses and services.

He is going to create a million good quality jobs and build a million new homes, cut income and wealth inequality, create a Ministry of Labour for the trade unions and soak the rich with a huge tax raid on businesses and high earners.

The Remainers  are unhappy and whining now; when Corbyn comes to power they will be squealing like stuck pigs. But guess what they will have helped bring it about.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, aright said:

Instead we can look forward to Jeremy Corbyn taking us back to the 70's giving more powers to trade unions, forcing wage caps on businesses and nationalising businesses and services.

He is going to create a million good quality jobs and build a million new homes, cut income and wealth inequality, create a Ministry of Labour for the trade unions and soak the rich with a huge tax raid on businesses and high earners.

The Remainers  are unhappy and whining now; when Corbyn comes to power they will be squealing like stuck pigs. But guess what they will have helped bring it about.  

The 1970s were a great deal better than the time of Dickens, which is what this lot are hankering after.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, aright said:

That sounds positively wonderful, how's he going to pay for it all after all the wealthy people have left and after all the businesses have moved overseas? I'm so excited at this prospect I believe I shall return and avail myself of a new council house. Gosh, how I miss the 70's, what wonderfully exciting economic times they were!

"The 1970s saw the fading away of the exuberance and the radicalism of the 1960s. Instead there was a mounting series of economic crises, marked especially by labour union strikes, as the British economy slipped further and further behind European and world growth. The result was a major political crisis, and a Winter of Discontent in the winter of 1978–79 in during which there were widespread strikes by public sector unions that serious inconvenienced and angered the public.[138][139]

Historians Alan Sked and Chris Cook have summarized the general consensus of historians regarding Labour in power in the 1970s:

If Wilson's record as prime minister was soon felt to have been one of failure, that sense of failure was powerfully reinforced by Callahan's term as premier. Labour, it seemed, was incapable of positive achievements. It was unable to control inflation, unable to control the unions, unable to solve the Irish problem, unable to solve the Rhodesian question, unable to secure its proposals for Welsh and Scottish devolution, unable to reach a popular modus vivendi with the Common Market, unable even to maintain itself in power until it could go to the country and the date of its own choosing. It was little wonder, therefore, that Mrs. Thatcherresoundingly defeated it in 1979.[140]". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_history_of_the_United_Kingdom

5 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Cucumbers, bent by a gradient of no more than 1/10. 

I do not doubt that some EU regulations are over the top - and some are not.

As for the cucumbers.

Let us for a moment assume that what you say is correct.

Do you think that after brexit (soft or hard), the UK will be allowed to export cucumbers with a gradient of 11% to the EU? Will the UK perhaps install different production lines for different customers?

And Parma ham from Manchester will be allowed into the EU, to be sold in the Aldi in Parma?

Yet those "ridiculous bureacratic" product specifications were 1 of the pro brexit arguments.

The UK will still have to follow the rules, but now without having a say in it.

7 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I do not doubt that some EU regulations are over the top - and some are not.

As for the cucumbers.

Let us for a moment assume that what you say is correct.

Do you think that after brexit (soft or hard), the UK will be allowed to export cucumbers with a gradient of 11% to the EU? Will the UK perhaps install different production lines for different customers?

And Parma ham from Manchester will be allowed into the EU, to be sold in the Aldi in Parma?

Yet those "ridiculous bureacratic" product specifications were 1 of the pro brexit arguments.

The UK will still have to follow the rules, but now without having a say in it.

Don't get me wrong, some of the eu ruling was sheer genius, I think we will be keeping the one about washing up gloves must be able to handle detergents. :cheesy:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, vogie said:

Don't get me wrong, some of the eu ruling was sheer genius, I think we will be keeping the one about washing up gloves must be able to handle detergents. :cheesy:

Would you please be so kind as to reply to the arguments I used in my post?

4 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Would you please be so kind as to reply to the arguments I used in my post?

You mentioned eu ruling in your post, sorry I didn't realise you wanted to be specific about cucumbers and parma ham.