Pump attendant sacked after credit card rip-off in Ubon

rooster59

Pump attendant sacked after credit card rip-off in Ubon

EyWwB5WU57MYnKOurCj95NbbC825pQLCzMmov1sH2e33WSabCxUQ7e.jpg

Image: Thairath

A motorist went online yesterday to warn people after he was ripped off by a pump attendant in Ubon.

The motorist posted his experiences under the name "Mee Theuan" on Facebook.

He said that he had gone to the gas station to fill up and was intending to pay in cash but the attendant, a young man, said that if he used a credit card he could get a discount.

He was told there was 5% off for buying 300 baht's worth of fuel and 10% off if you bought 1000 baht. He decided to buy 300 baht's worth of gas.

After filling up the attendant gave him the 300 baht slip to sign but then an SMS came through on the customer's mobile phone that a further charge of 2,000 baht had been made to the card as well as the 300 baht bill.

He confronted the attendant who apologized and gave him his money back. He then went to the police to make a report. But he decided not to press charges so the attendant remained in his job. Police confirmed that a report had been lodged but no action was taken.

However, yesterday when the boss of the gas station saw the story online he confronted the 18 year old attendant named only as "Fluke". He sacked him on the spot.

The station manager said that the attendant was a local lad who had worked at the station since September 22nd.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-22

1 hour ago, Classic Ray said:

Decision to press charges should not have been left to the customer, this should be pushed by police and prosecuting authority to protect other potential customers. Even though now sacked, nothing to stop him offering the same service at another retailer.

Yes, but that mean the police having to do some work. Ain't going to happen if they can help it. As for the customer not taking action, that is all the encouragement people like this crook needs to continue ripping people off, because the Buddhist way is Mai Pen Rai.

I once ate at a restaurant and the food was so disgusting I ate it anyways. In a few hours, I almost died of food poisoning. I went to the police to file a report against the chef, but I didn't press charges, so the chef could continue to keep his job and poison other people.

Looks like a PTT too. Maybe I should extend my policy of getting out of the car and watching them pump to the major chains - I do it at independents, when I remember, after a couple of experiences in my local Sisaket area.

First time I bought 1,000 baht's worth in an independent in the centre of Meuang Sisaket a few years ago*. After driving off I clocked the fuel gauge, which had not moved by anything like expected. I told my wife I think I've been ripped off and unexpectedly (I expected her to be the submissive Thai but she must have been learning from me even at that early stage) she said let's go back then. She tore into the guy and stepped back into the car with a 500 baht note. Was so surprised I didn't think to take it further. A year later I repeated the mistake at an independent on highway 24 where it meets the Kantharalak to Sisaket road. I was  a bit less convinced this time and on my own, so I went back to the pump and told the guy in faltering Thai I knew that he was a thief and I was going to go to the police - there's a box at that junction. Duly went and explained in Thai that he seemed to understand that I thought the guy was a thief but I was not 100% so I was reporting it in case someone else also had a story to tell in future or had done so in the past. He said he understood me and as I was driving off I noticed he had put is jacket on and was wandering accross the the road in the gas station's direction.

It's sometimes difficult to file a report when you cannot prove you are short-changed, but still worth flagging it. If you want to make sure you are not being short filled (I would have said at independents in particular) you need to get out and make it obvious you are watching.

*PM me if you are living there and want to know which pam namman! Not far from the bus station.

Edited by SantiSuk

I make it a policy to stand by my vehicle every time I go to a fuel station in less developed countries to check that the clock is zeroed, that the pump nozzle is put into the fuel tank entrance, that they are not also filling another tank etc. I also check that they do not place any contraband into the gap where the fuel tank cover is located - this is an old trick to get you in trouble with the cops so as to generate payoff for all.

I once remember driving a motorbike in Vietnam where to fill the tank cost less than $5 in Vietnam Dong. Guy did not zero the clock and I was looking at $18equivalent on the clock. I gave him $4 - he protested and I started shouting Khanh Sat (police!) and he urgently waved me on.

21 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Decision to press charges should not have been left to the customer, this should be pushed by police and prosecuting authority to protect other potential customers. Even though now sacked, nothing to stop him offering the same service at another retailer.

I don't get the impression the police here push themselves to do things. Incentives or social media do.

Yep; its the one on the CharoenSri Market intersection of the Ubon ring-road. You've really got to keep your wits about you there. As previously mentioned, the usual "distraction & not zeroing the meter" is their favourite. The boss has been turning a blind eye for years .. not sure where he got this sudden burst of conscience; hysterical!