Remote locking of cars fails to work - Police now warn Kamphaengphet motorists

rooster59

Remote locking of cars fails to work - Police now warn Kamphaengphet motorists

559000010958901.JPEG
Image: Manager

Police in Kamphaengphet have warned motorists to lock their cars manually after remote controls in the area mysteriously failed to work.

The remotes on fifty vehicles parked at a central city Big C and outside the provincial prison failed to work on Tuesday.

Motorists suspect that people up to no good have sent out some kind of blocking signal.

Though no reports of theft have been made police announced yesterday that all drivers should ensure that their cars are locked manually before leaving their vehicles.

No one has been arrested and the police have urged anyone with information or who suffers the same experience in the city to contact them on 191.

News of the mysterious event was posted by several people on Facebook and Line earlier this week along with videos showcasing the difficulties faced by the drivers.

Source: Manager

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-23

Frankly, I don't trust any of the remotes, especially the newer ones that have so many features.  The signals are not encrypted, and the security fail safes are easy to hack from everything I have read.  I think there is going to be a whole new wave of electronic thievery as the crooks get educated

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I think there is going to be a whole new wave of electronic thievery as the crooks get educated

There already is.

Takes two criminals working together and some equipment.

One waiting near the car the other following the owner closely.

Unlock and drive modern upper class limos with keyless (push button) start.

Owners of such high tech stuff are advised to wrap their remote in tin foil while away from the car :cheesy::cheesy:

The jamming method to hinder cars be locked is mainly for thiefes, stealing from the cars without noise/tools/damage. Quite old.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Not has to be a jammer, high voltage lines for example will interfere with the remote control.

If I park right in front of the Made in Thailand market on Pattaya second road, I'll have issues getting my car locked with the remote control.

Same happened at the old Universe gym on Sukhumvit, if I parked at the exit under the large transformer, it would almost be impossible to lock the car, unless I held the remote very close to the front windscreen.

A standard car key/remote isn't safe at all, basically you can "listen in" on what the remore send out, copy it and then you are on your way. And for remote locking failing, a jammer isn't that exotic anymore and there are many things that emmits radio waves today.

1 hour ago, Grubster said:

I only recently noticed that when unlocking my truck with the remote, it will re lock itself in about thirty seconds if no doors are opened. Good feature I think.

OK. But will it also lock if it the car still is in the jamming field?

23 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

OK. But will it also lock if it the car still is in the jamming field?

I don't know but I don't ever worry about theft anyway as I have insurance for the truck and don't keep much worth stealing in it. I had a Harley Davidson stolen back home and my insurance gave me more than I paid for it.

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet and the 3rd remote locking system failed about 5 years ago on my 15 year old truck. I only lock it up in KPP or big cities plus the local market days. If anyone broke into it they are more likely to leave some money behind for me to get a better truck.

13 hours ago, Grubster said:

I only recently noticed that when unlocking my truck with the remote, it will re lock itself in about thirty seconds if no doors are opened. Good feature I think.

I have the same. Good feature until you put your keys down somewhere inside the car while loading/unloading.

12 hours ago, Grubster said:

I don't know but I don't ever worry about theft anyway as I have insurance for the truck and don't keep much worth stealing in it. I had a Harley Davidson stolen back home and my insurance gave me more than I paid for it.

Make sure you do not lose your second key as the insurance company will ask for both and if you cannot give to them they will have suspicions the theft is actually fraud.

38 minutes ago, eeyang wah said:

I have the same. Good feature until you put your keys down somewhere inside the car while loading/unloading.

Mine will only re lock the doors if no door was opened. For example you close the door and lock with remote then accidentally unlock on the walk to store, thirty seconds it relocks since you never opened a door. If you leave your key inside there is no way to lock the door except maybe with the switch on the door which I never use.

This topic is about cars not locking in K.P.Phet.

Well this morning I gave it a try had to pay TOT 'internet' it's right next to the prison.

Forgot it was a bank holiday TOT wasn't open. So pulled into the prison and gave the remote a go, all worked fine. Glad to say escaped Ok.

Then on the way back into Big C tried it in the under covered bit also the back that's open. Same as before all worked. 

Might have been a freak problem who knows. Whatever it's not a problem now.

N/B I stood about 30 feet away from the car every time. I do have the old type set up with just buttons on key. Maybe it's the new type that are the problem??? 

Edited by fredob43

On 10/24/2016 at 9:43 AM, eeyang wah said:

The car won't lock itself when you leave the key inside the car,,,We have tried and it won't lock,,,