Nobel academy member calls Bob Dylan's silence 'arrogant'

rooster59

Geez. Aren't his songs enough? He's obviously a complex man and complex artist. Extremely individualistic and now elderly. Whether he acknowledges the award or not ... what difference does it make? If the Nobel people thinks he deserved it, it shouldn't. 

Dylan has long been a bit arrogant, ever since his own popularity eclipsed that of the woman who opened the doors of success to him, Joan Baez.  But I always separate out the artist from the art.  Most great artists have multiple character flaws.

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Please explain why he showed up for the presidential Medal of Freedom prize and won't for the Nobel then? Something in his lyrics dissing the Nobel prize? 

Alfred Nobel, the inventor of dynamite, was certainly a "Master Of War" of his time. The Nobel Prize he concocted quite late in his life was to polish his image and maybe get in to heaven. Whether he accepts the award or he doesn't, Dylan will respond in time and I'm guessing the committee will be sorry he did.

Or did he already write something about the Nobel committee some years ago?

See the primitive wallflower freeze
When the jelly-faced women all sneeze
Hear the one with the mustache say, "Jeez, I can't find my knees"

On 23/10/2016 at 0:56 PM, piersbeckett said:

Assuming there's no more practical reason for Dylan seeming to snub the Swedish Academy and this is not about my mum, I'd guess that it's in what they've awarded him for namely, 'new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition' that might be the reason he's unavailable for comment. 

He was influenced in his early years by some traditional American artists such as Blind Lemon Jefferson, Lead Belly and of course Woody Guthrie but with the latter more his political songs and poetically his influences have been wide ranging not at all necessarily American e.g. T.S. Elliot, William Blake, A. Chekhov and A. Rimbaud.  Apart from Nashville Skyline and the very early blues stuff I would venture to say that he has made music in his own inimitable style rather than conforming to any American song tradition.

Although born in America many of his songs even early ones criticise rather than glorify America.

I'd suggest; for his sustained innovative, evocative and interpretive lyric writing

On 23/10/2016 at 8:01 PM, Psimbo said:

He's always been a pretentious tw&t- the folk version of Bono!

Bob Dylan might be arrogant or, at least, appear arrogant at times but whatever Bono is, referring to him in the same sentence as Bob Dylan is nothing less than sacrilegious - whoops!

On 10/24/2016 at 8:52 PM, piersbeckett said:

Bob Dylan might be arrogant or, at least, appear arrogant at times but whatever Bono is, referring to him in the same sentence as Bob Dylan is nothing less than sacrilegious - whoops!

I think they are both pretty good. Personally, I prefer the music of U2, but understand that many people do not share my opinion.

3 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

As I expected.

He accepted.

He's grateful.

Of course, he wasn't EXPECTING to win. He writes song lyrics. It WOULD have been arrogant for him to expect to win.  

He will try to attend.

All the obnoxious gossip for naught. 

Next ...

Edited by Jingthing