buying a car from private / registering

orc

Hello

I have an offer to buy a car from private.

I currently have a rental condo in Bangkok and a multiple entrance visa.

How is the procedure to register a car?

-what documents do I need to register a car?

-where do I get those documents and what do I need to get them?

-where to register a car?

best regards

It all depends on where the car is registered now ie bkk or another province. If bkk you will need cert of residence. Normal passport copies. Seller can come with you or give you a signed power of attorney along with all the forms and blue book. Find the DTO it's registered in go along they will guide you from there. If it's registered in a diffrent province  then you have to iether go there or change plates and register at new province. First find out where it's registered.

Another cut and paste from my notes

Thai seller needs to supply
Signed copy of  ID card  front and back ( not expired )
Signed copy of house registration ( not always required )
signed  " nungsue moub umnart "   หนังสือมอบอำนาจ ( if seller is not going with you to DLT )
signed  "beb  kum kor own le rup own "  แบบคำขอโอนและรับโอน    ขส.บ. ท. - 11
green/ blue book signed by current owner

Foreigner seller needs to supply
certificate of residence from immigration ( should be free at immigration but varies from place to place )
For foreign seller, instead of certificate of residence also work permit or yellow housebook is accepted.
if foreign seller has left Thailand then a signed copy of the exit from Thailand stamp in their passport instead of residence certificate and valid visa stamp.
(Certificate of residence not required in all provinces ?    / DLT's Pattaya requires it )
sometimes the police station will give you this document too.
copy passport photo page
copy of visa page and or extension  ( not expired )
signed  " nungsue moub umnart "  หนังสือมอบอำนาจ ( if seller is not going with you to DLT )
signed  "beb  kum kor own le rup own "  แบบคำขอโอนและรับโอน    ขส.บ. ท. - 11 ( if seller is not going with you to DLT )
green/blue book signed by current owner

So list of provinces where residence certificate is required ( from foreign seller ) so far is
Chonburi/Pattaya
Nakhornratchasima/Korat
Khon Kaen  ??
Buriram for sure
Chiang Mai ?

19 hours ago, orc said:

-what documents do I need to register a car?

-where do I get those documents and what do I need to get them?

-where to register a car?

Certificate of "residence"  from your local immigration office

In many provinces if the seller is a foreigner the DLT will require a certificate of residence from the seller as well as the buyer.

Take the car to your local "Department of Land Transportation"    ( google for your nearest one )

they will check the chassis and engine numbers

if car is older than 7 years they could ask for a "road worthiness check"   tax and insurance has to be up to date too

if your local DLT  is not  in the province the car is currently registered in then you have 2 choices

1 goto the main DLT in the province the car is currently registered and do the name change there.

2 go to your local DLT and ask that the car be "moved" to your local DLT province  this will require more time and a change of number plates.

as long as the blue book,power of attorney and transfer form is signed by the seller there is no need for them to go with you to the DLT

transfer.pdf

umnart_drl6_.pdf

cor own_.pdf

English example_power of attorney_ umnart.png

11 minutes ago, orc said:

will a tourist visa be accepted at immigration to get a certificate of residence?

Its excepted in Pattaya/Jomtien    more than likely also excepted in Bangkok ( someone who lives in BKK will have to confirm or deny )

car is registerd in Pattaya by  a foreigner, and I live in Bangkok.

So I would need to go deregister the car in Pattaya first, give up the license plate, get to Bangkok, register and get a license plate.

Get back to Pattaya to get the car and put my plate.

Right?

If you go to Pattaya to look at  / buy  the car you could change the name at the Pattaya DLT  ( short weekday holiday required )

what you could do is take a short car buying "holiday" in Pattaya   get a "certificate of residence" from Jomtien immigration

(show them the hotel reciept and passport)  take the car to the Pattaya local DLT  they will change the name in the book ( mostly ) same day  I say mostly because sometimes they are too busy and tell you to come back to collect the book next day.. if you do it that way then no need to change the number plates.

32 minutes ago, orc said:

So I would need to go deregister the car in Pattaya first, give up the license plate, get to Bangkok, register and get a license plate.

No you deregister ( they call it "move" )  at your local DLT in Bangkok,( the destination DLT)

change names in Bangkok ( the destination DLT)

and are issued new Bangkok licence plates  at Bangkok DLT ( the destination DLT)

old plates also returned at the  Bangkok DLT  ( the destination DLT)

"Moving"  the vehicle to a new province is not a 1 day process.

Move to another province means you or the car don't have to  go to the original registered province.

Another option  ( by far the easier option ) is to go to a shop displaying this sign

logotoroor.gif

They can do all the "running around" for you , saves you lots of time and headaches   they charge a quite reasonable fee  of a few thousand baht.  ( you still need residence certificate and all other documents)

Edited by johng

If your going down to Pattaya to buy it just get it all done there you can tax and compulsory insure it at any DTO. You can keep it registered there and just use it as normal in BKK. Would save a lot of hassle. But you will need a cert of residence from bkk where you live last I heard tourist visa is fine to get a cert. To get it you will need your condo rental agreement and normal copies of your passport. Passport photo and cert of residence form.

I'm not sure if Pattaya  DLT will except a residence certificate from Bangkok  its certainly worth trying.

if not then try the "holiday" option.

if no luck with either of the above then just drive back to Bangkok and  register it there.

Edited by johng

I have a same situation bought a car from a expat and he delivered it to where i am staying it is all good the car is legit and registered into another province and have all gvt insurance but under the ex owner's name, The wife went to try to get it registered but no way we need the proof of the ex owner residence and contacted the person and no action so we have a car that we paid for and still under someone else name.

The ex owner told me it was ok since the insurance and paperwork for the car are up to date and I have to wait till he goes and get proof of residence. 

So what do I do???

54 minutes ago, mettech said:

I have a same situation bought a car from a expat and he delivered it to where i am staying it is all good the car is legit and registered into another province and have all gvt insurance but under the ex owner's name, The wife went to try to get it registered but no way we need the proof of the ex owner residence and contacted the person and no action so we have a car that we paid for and still under someone else name.

The ex owner told me it was ok since the insurance and paperwork for the car are up to date and I have to wait till he goes and get proof of residence. 

So what do I do???

You keep on his case constantly he can sell the car from under you or get a loan on it if it's in his mane it's his car

Thank you so much for the info.

Now hat I think about it you are right even though I have all paperwork blue book photoe copy and name and address also a receipt on his last 90 days reporting if it goes that way  I would have no other choice but report a fraud to the police.

I have email from the ex owner that I kept just in case I have to make a case.

I will contact him again and hope he will send proof of residency soon so I could do the transaction.

Thank you again really appreciate your info.

On 10/27/2016 at 1:48 PM, orc said:

car is registerd in Pattaya by  a foreigner, and I live in Bangkok.

Right?

No

Here is my recent experience of buying a car from a private owner

Some responses indicate that you could get the DLT office in Bangkok to do the 'deregistering' in Pattaya

Edited by LongTimeLurker

You take the car to your local main DLT ( has to be the main office for your local province if you goto a sub office they will send you to the main office) you inform the local DLT that you want to "move" the car to your local province they do the paperwork and give you new number/registration plates for the car. You dont have to go to the province the car is currently registered in ,unless you want to keep the current number/registration plates
If you want to keep current number/registration plates then you must do the name change at the DLT of the province the car is already registered in.....confused ?

12 hours ago, johng said:

You take the car to your local main DLT ( has to be the main office for your local province if you goto a sub office they will send you to the main office) you inform the local DLT that you want to "move" the car to your local province they do the paperwork and give you new number/registration plates for the car. You dont have to go to the province the car is currently registered in ,unless you want to keep the current number/registration plates
If you want to keep current number/registration plates then you must do the name change at the DLT of the province the car is already registered in.....confused ?

BUT you can only do that if you have a residence letter from the province that the car is already registered in, and the OP lives in Bangkok with the car registered in Chonburi.

I am in a similar situation, I recently cleared the finance on my car and need to get it registered in my name.

The car is currently on Bangkok plates.

I've got a non-immigrant B extension of stay, which was issued by CW immigration Bangkok, as I work Mon - Fri in Bangkok, however, the address that I want to register the vehicle in is in Chonburi province.

My two options for the residency certificate are to get one from the British Embassy, or one from Thai immigration in Jomtien, Chonburi.

The British Embassy cannot give me an appointment before 15th November 2016 for this.

BMW finance are saying that DLT Bangkok will require me to re-register the car with Chonburi DLT if I give a Chonburi address, as they assume it will be driven in Chonburi province. (in reality it probably works out as 50% in both Bangkok and Chonburi due to work!!)

Quoting BMW Finance after asking if it will be any issues supplying a Chonburi address for registration purposes: 

'LTD office in Bangkok will accept this issue but they will assume that this car will use in Chonburi. So, the plate of Bangkok will be invalid automatically, you have to get the new plate in Chonburi after you get the registration book from us.'

I was under the impression that this was a thing of the past due to the computerisation of car registrations? Certainly can purchase the road tax in any province these days.

When the car was originally purchased on finance, then they used my work permit at that time (no longer work for the same company) and as far as I can see the car is registered in my name using the then company address, which was in Laem Chabang, Chonburi province, so that sort of negates the argument that Bangkok DLT won't allow this!!! (The speeding ticket came to that company address :sad:)

Anybody know if it is an absolute DLT requirement to change the registration plate to the province the car is registered in?

Will do it if I absolutely have to, just a PITA to do whilst working etc.

BUT you can only do that if you have a residence letter from the province that the car is already registered in, and the OP lives in Bangkok with the car registered in Chonburi.

You get a residence certificate for the province you live in, you take the car to the main DLT of the province you live in you tell them you want to "move" the car to your local province,they do their thing and issue new number/registration plates.
You don't have to go to the province the car is already registered in .

Paying yearly tax and insurance is not registration and can be done in any province no matter where the car is registered.

@Mattd
When changing names in the blue book. You either have to do it in the province the car is currently registered in (complicated by residence certificate requirements for foreigners)
Or you take the car to your local DLT in the province where you have obtained a residence certificate and ask them to "move" the car to that province yes they will issue new number/registration plates.

Name change, move province and new number plates will take more than 1 trip to the DLT.

@Johng, 

There is no name change, it will be just an address change from one Chonburi address to another Chonburi address, the vehicle was registered in to my name from new, since the finance is now paid off I now want to put it in to my residential address as opposed to a previous Company address.

Just seems illogical that Bangkok DLT accepted the car as registered to a Chonburi address originally, but now won't accept a change of address within the same province.

Would also question how those that buy the enormously expensive private plates could ever manage to register them to another province address??

Many years ago I did change a BKK plated car to Chonburi, not an expensive process, but took ages to do, several trips and a total PITA, not very practical whilst employed and seems totally unnecessary, I know for a fact several dealers in the Chonburi area offer Bangkok plates to their customers.

So you're car's registered in Chonburi with Bangkok number plates ?

There are "agent's" and "fixers" located near every DLT that can do things no mere mortal can.

Those very expensive personal plates I expect come with some special privileges.

23 minutes ago, johng said:

So you're car's registered in Chonburi with Bangkok number plates ?

There are "agent's" and "fixers" located near every DLT that can do things no mere mortal can.

Those very expensive personal plates I expect come with some special privileges.

If it has BKK  plates it is registered in BKK.

I live in Pattaya but my Vigo is registered in BKK, my 90 day reporting is also done in BKK.

EDIT: just checked book. Chonburi address/BKK plates.

Edited by Don Mega

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

If it has BKK  plates it is registered in BKK.

Negative, as just stated it is 100%  registered to a Company address in Chonburi, this was the address that was on my work permit at the time of purchase.

The car was purchased on finance, however, the book was registered in my name from day one, complete with the Chonburi address, the book is still with the finance company, as they are going to get it changed to the other address, will double check the copy in the car.

I do know that the speeding fine came directly to that company address from the police and not via the finance, so it is on a computer somewhere!

It maybe that because it was on Finance that it was possible at that time to use a Chonburi address, this I'm not sure of.

There are a lot of Chonburi dealers that do sell cars with Bangkok plates, I know several of them and these are registered to a Chonburi address, so it must be possible / legal to do, just not sure how right now, tried asking the owners and they all don't know either, other than the dealers did it for them!

3 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Negative, as just stated it is 100%  registered to a Company address in Chonburi, this was the address that was on my work permit at the time of purchase.

The car was purchased on finance, however, the book was registered in my name from day one, complete with the Chonburi address, the book is still with the finance company, as they are going to get it changed to the other address, will double check the copy in the car.

I do know that the speeding fine came directly to that company address from the police and not via the finance, so it is on a computer somewhere!

It maybe that because it was on Finance that it was possible at that time to use a Chonburi address, this I'm not sure of.

There are a lot of Chonburi dealers that do sell cars with Bangkok plates, I know several of them and these are registered to a Chonburi address, so it must be possible / legal to do, just not sure how right now, tried asking the owners and they all don't know either, other than the dealers did it for them!

yeah I edited my post to add that my book has a chonburi address and BKK plates.

Edited by Don Mega

4 hours ago, johng said:

You get a residence certificate for the province you live in, you take the car to the main DLT of the province you live in you tell them you want to "move" the car to your local province,they do their thing and issue new number/registration plates.
You don't have to go to the province the car is already registered in .

Paying yearly tax and insurance is not registration and can be done in any province no matter where the car is registered.

But you advised

If you want to keep current number/registration plates then you must do the name change at the DLT of the province the car is already registered in

which the OP is obviously not able to do.

5 hours ago, Mattd said:

I am in a similar situation, I recently cleared the finance on my car and need to get it registered in my name.

The car is currently on Bangkok plates.

I've got a non-immigrant B extension of stay, which was issued by CW immigration Bangkok, as I work Mon - Fri in Bangkok, however, the address that I want to register the vehicle in is in Chonburi province.

My two options for the residency certificate are to get one from the British Embassy, or one from Thai immigration in Jomtien, Chonburi.

The British Embassy cannot give me an appointment before 15th November 2016 for this.

BMW finance are saying that DLT Bangkok will require me to re-register the car with Chonburi DLT if I give a Chonburi address, as they assume it will be driven in Chonburi province. (in reality it probably works out as 50% in both Bangkok and Chonburi due to work!!)

Quoting BMW Finance after asking if it will be any issues supplying a Chonburi address for registration purposes: 

'LTD office in Bangkok will accept this issue but they will assume that this car will use in Chonburi. So, the plate of Bangkok will be invalid automatically, you have to get the new plate in Chonburi after you get the registration book from us.'

I was under the impression that this was a thing of the past due to the computerisation of car registrations? Certainly can purchase the road tax in any province these days.

When the car was originally purchased on finance, then they used my work permit at that time (no longer work for the same company) and as far as I can see the car is registered in my name using the then company address, which was in Laem Chabang, Chonburi province, so that sort of negates the argument that Bangkok DLT won't allow this!!! (The speeding ticket came to that company address :sad:)

Anybody know if it is an absolute DLT requirement to change the registration plate to the province the car is registered in?

Will do it if I absolutely have to, just a PITA to do whilst working etc.

Last November it was no problem to change ownership[ of a car in its original province if you lived in a different province but I was told both in Nonthaburi and Rayong that the law has changed and now you must register the car in the province in which you live.