Request Clarification on Visa Validity and length of Stay

If this question has been covered  previously then I apologize for asking and could someone direct me to the previous post.  If not could someone clarify these statements which I found on the Los Angeles Thai Consulate website:  

When entering Thailand,
the Immigration officer will grant a 90-day stay up to 1 year.

NON-IMMIGRANT VISA ( Maximum stay 90 days, extension of stay may be applied in Thailand )

I was under the belief if I am granted a one year Non-Immigrant Visa for the purposes of retirement I would be granted a 1 year stay and I am only required to report to Immigration every 90 days.  These statements seem to imply that a Border Run might be need even with a Long Term Visa.  I am now somewhat confused.   

It depends on which category of Non Immigrant Visa you get. You're referring to a Non 'O-A'.

• A Non 'O-A' Visa (Long stay - often called a retirement visa) is valid for 1 year and every time you enter during that year you'll get permission to stay for 1 year. You report every 90 days to immigration.
  • A Non 'O' Visa is usually issued as a Single Entry Visa and when you enter you get permission to stay for 90 days. During that 90 days you apply for a 1 year extension of stay and report every 90 days.

If you already have the visa, look at the visa class, number of entries and Enter before date.

If you have a Non Imm O-A visa, @elvajero has already explained fully.

If you have a Non Imm O visa it may be multiple entry (number of entries M) or single entry (number of entries S). If it is single entry, it allows a single entry of 90 days, entering Thailand before the Enter before date. If it is multiple entry, it allows you to enter as many times as you like up until the Enter before data on the visa, with each entry being for 90 days. If you want to stay longer, you need to leave and re-enter the country. Alternatively, close to the end of your permitted to stay until date, you can apply for an extension of stay for which the conditions depend on the purpose of your stay.

9 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Thank you for the replies.  The replies have completely clarified things for me.  The key distinction is Single Entry versus Multi-Entry.

Yes, for the Non Immigrant 'O'. You can also request a 60 extension to either the single or multiple for every entry. In other words you should be able to 150 days in Country after every trip outside on your return.

5 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Yes, for the Non Immigrant 'O'. You can also request a 60 extension to either the single or multiple for every entry. In other words you should be able to 150 days in Country after every trip outside on your return.

If your married or visiting children I belive is 60 days

3 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Yes I understand that Joe but has the op got a non o based on marriage or child then he won't get the 60 day extension will he???

You are absolutely right to point out that the OP would only get a 60 day extension as the spouse or parent of a Thai, however, it doesn't matter what visa is used to enter the country in order to get it. Any permit to stay can be extended one time to visit a spouse/child.

6 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You are absolutely right to point out that the OP would only get a 60 day extension as the spouse or parent of a Thai, however, it doesn't matter what visa is used to enter the country in order to get it. Any permit to stay can be extended one time to visit a spouse/child.

Yes I see this but in the op it clearly states retirement

6 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Yes I see this but in the op it clearly states retirement

Yes he does but that doesn't matter. He could enter with a Non 'O' or Non 'O-A' issued on the basis of retirement (over 50) and still be able to extend his permit to stay by 60 days to visit a wife/child.

3 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Yes he does but that doesn't matter. He could enter with a Non 'O' or Non 'O-A' issued on the basis of retirement (over 50) and still be able to extend his permit to stay by 60 days to visit a wife/child.

OK leave it there.  where in op does it mention married or dependent???  is what I was saying so therefore would not get a 60 day extension

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

OK leave it there.  where in op does it mention married or dependent???  is what I was saying so therefore would not get a 60 day extension

It doesn't mention it in the OP and the OP didn't ask about it, and you're now deflecting. You were clarifying your point to UJ and I am simply correcting your clarification. You claimed/questioned that if the OP doesn't have a "non o based on marriage or child" he wont get a 60 day extension. That is wrong and I have explained why.

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

Yes I understand that Joe but has the op got a non o based on marriage or child then he won't get the 60 day extension will he???

10 minutes ago, elviajero said:

It doesn't mention it in the OP and the OP didn't ask about it, and you're now deflecting. You were clarifying your point to UJ and I am simply correcting your clarification. You claimed/questioned that if the OP doesn't have a "non o based on marriage or child" he wont get a 60 day extension. That is wrong and I have explained why.

Whatever you say end of

Edited by Deepinthailand