Department defends rice substitution with maize

webfact

Department defends rice substitution with maize

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4Fs6uGYKaPwmZCyNVrhfzVzf

BANGKOK: -- The Agricultural Extension Department has defended its plan to reduce rice production and, instead, increase maize production which will bring more income for farmers.

The department’s director-general Mr Somchai Charnnarongkul said Thursday that the plan aims to reduce rice production which is oversupply and, at the same time, to increase maize production which is not enough to meet domestic need and, hence, the need to import the grains to make up the shortfall.

Pointing out at the advantages of maize, he explained that maize consumes less water than rice, using 500-700 cubic metres of water per rai compared to rice which requires between 1,200-1,500 cubic metres of water per rai.

Moreover, he said that maize generates better income for farmers than rice does as the price of rice depends on the demand of overseas markets.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/department-defends-rice-substitution-with-maize/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-10-28

So typical of this government run by soldiers rather than competent qualified civilians. Like the old story of the sinking ship. Plug one hole and another appears.

A government run contrived pilot project to experiment maize cultivation? Not hard to imagine how much fertilizer, herbicides, pesticides and water they used to get the results they wanted to justify their decision. 

Mr Somchai assured that "maize farmers need not be worried that their maize crops would not be saleable". That statement is a huge worry in itself.

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

Last year half the rice farmers in our village followed Govt advice and planted cassava. The price plummeted to just about breakeven.

If the Govt are now pushing maize I guess a fall in the maize price is not far off.

You're so right. Every time the government gets involved in the market it is messed up. rice, rubber, cassava and lets see what happens with corn.

1 hour ago, whatproblem said:

Why they not teach the farmers about diversity and crop rotation ,been doing it in U.K. Since Middle Ages ,so it's about the time difference to Thailand 

How much rice is grown in the UK, Corn does not fit the climate here. Hemp yes, but won't even consider that.

“Moreover, he said that maize generates better income for farmers…”

Which will be offset by the rise in costs of emergency room visits and medical care resulting from respiratory illnesses due to the increased smoke, as a result of burning the corn stalks. 

Once again, great thinking through  on the entire effects of a government plan.

2 hours ago, whatproblem said:

Why they not teach the farmers about diversity and crop rotation ,been doing it in U.K. Since Middle Ages ,so it's about the time difference to Thailand 

I agree, crop rotation is key to sustainability. But I think some lands are not suitable and by the time they become proficient to raise a new type of crop, they will be loosing even more money.

3 hours ago, whatproblem said:

For the same reason they weren't able to teach changing habits related to driving oxcarts to learning the new skills and protocols necessary for driving motorized vehicles. 

"This is the way we've always done it. It is the Thai way. It is the best way. Why change now?"

I would be amazed if this maize move did not turn into another rubber debacle. I can remember when I first arrived here the government was urging farmers to switch from rice to rubber. I think they were stretching things a bit. With all the rubber here Thailand could become the condom hub of the world different flavors and sizes. Sizes is always the problem I have when shopping for them. When I reach for the XL box it always has a sign saying "sold out" There must be other foreigners here with the same problem as me. We were truly blessed.

32 minutes ago, sandemara said:

I'm amazed any government department is prepared to offer advice to anyone abut anything.  Haven't they thought about the implications of the recent culpability and compensation decision against a senior former government representative?

Yes opening up your mouth on agriculture could definitely get ones head on the chopping block. After it fails you could be found guilty of agricultural coercion fined a 35 billion bahts and thrown into the slammer. I guess the list for budding politicians is getting shorter? or longer by the day. Just don't stray from the governments road map it could be fatal for your health. 

40 minutes ago, sandemara said:

I'm amazed any government department is prepared to offer advice to anyone abut anything.  Haven't they thought about the implications of the recent culpability and compensation decision against a senior former government representative?

Are they not all under the protective umbrella of article 44? or the law they passed protecting them from future prosecution?

7 hours ago, khwaibah said:

You still need water and in isaan its getting on to dry season. No rain for about 6 months. So bright guys WHERE IS THE FORKING WATER. At 5 baht per kilo for rice it won't go far.

5 bahts a kilo. Pack in the submarines here is an issue for the PM to get his teeth into which reminds me I better put mine in dinner approaches. 

Do i hear echoes of just a few years back when the then Government was telling everyone to plant rubber trees and they would all get rich ?   I would hope by now Farmers know better than to listen to people who are not Farmers, have never been Farmers and have no experience whatsoever of farming !

Around our way Farmers are selling off land as fast as they can because they have learned the hard way that everyone in the chain gets rich and they stay poor !

8 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

I would be amazed if this maize move did not turn into another rubber debacle. I can remember when I first arrived here the government was urging farmers to switch from rice to rubber. I think they were stretching things a bit. With all the rubber here Thailand could become the condom hub of the world different flavors and sizes. Sizes is always the problem I have when shopping for them. When I reach for the XL box it always has a sign saying "sold out" There must be other foreigners here with the same problem as me. We were truly blessed.

Or you tell porkies ....

It will not work ,rice fields are designed  to keep water in ,a maize crop  needs a normal filed if it is to grow ,maize dose not like being sat in water it  will just rot .

The cost  of converting a rice field in to a  normal  field fit to grow maize  is not going to be cheap ,big soil braking equipment will be needed and the tractors to pull them ,not cheap  and not easy to find ,and as one member said ,maize price is low this year ,if more maize is grown the price will drop more ,and more traditional maize  growing areas ,like mine ,will suffer .

Yet another idea by some one who should know better ,an Agriculture  Extension  Department ,is suppose to have some knowledge about what they are talking about ,and give farmers some good advice . 

2 minutes ago, kickstart said:

It will not work ,rice fields are designed  to keep water in ,a maize crop  needs a normal filed if it is to grow ,maize dose not like being sat in water it  will just rot .

The cost  of converting a rice field in to a  normal  field fit to grow maize  is not going to be cheap ,big soil braking equipment will be needed and the tractors to pull them ,not cheap  and not easy to find ,and as one member said ,maize price is low this year ,if more maize is grown the price will drop more ,and more traditional maize  growing areas ,like mine ,will suffer .

Yet another idea by some one who should know better ,an Agriculture  Extension  Department ,is suppose to have some knowledge about what they are talking about ,and give farmers some good advice . 

Like every other Government department, the 'Agricultural Extension Department' will be full of people who have 'bought' their positions or who are 'connected' or are some relative of someone who worked there previously.... who also never knew anything about farming.  'Officials' in this broken society are never chosen on merit; if they were, the country would be 50 years further ahead !

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The Agricultural Extension Department has defended its plan to reduce rice production and, instead, increase maize production which will bring more income for farmers.

Prior to reading the OP I was reading part of a Wikipedia article on the problem of slash & burn in the northern parts of Thailand and the resulting pollution. According to the article, it's caused primarily by maize. Here's the article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_issues_in_Thailand#Deforestation

Scroll down to the next section called "Field and forest burning" and then to paragraph 4 which begins: "According to the Bangkok Post....".

Also of interest is the fact that one Charoen Pokphand who we read about yesterday curtailing the sale of AIS in his 7-Eleven stores has been buying up maize harvests for use as animal feed. The suggestion now seem to be to induce farmers to grow coffee rather than maize since it produces a higher profit. CP seems to be willing to support farmers during the period coffee doesn't produce a crop (3½ years) according to Wikipedia.

So the Agricultural Dept recommending that farmers grow maize seems to be at odds with the above.

Edited by Xircal

On 28/10/2016 at 10:18 AM, Grubster said:

How much rice is grown in the UK, Corn does not fit the climate here. Hemp yes, but won't even consider that.

Why ,what's that got to do with crop rotation ,crop rotation is to stop the same goodness being took out the ground every year,in Thailand they put rice every year and have to buy increasingly more fertilisers