Dylan says he wants to attend Nobel Prize ceremony if he can

rooster59

Dylan says he wants to attend Nobel Prize ceremony if he can

NEW YORK (AP) — Bob Dylan says he "absolutely" wants to attend the Nobel Prize Award Ceremony "if it's at all possible" in December, finally breaking his silence about earning the prestigious honor.

The 75-year-old was awarded the 2016 Nobel Prize in literature earlier this month. In an interview with U.K. newspaper The Telegraph posted Friday, Dylan says "isn't that something." and "it's hard to believe" of getting the award.

The singer-songwriter was silent after the announcement and a member of the Swedish Academy that awarded him the prize said the icon's silence was "impolite and arrogant."

The Nobel Prize Award Ceremony takes place Dec. 10 in Stockholm. Dylan is the first musician to earn the Nobel Prize in literature.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-10-29

I dare say Bob appears to be following in the foot steps of Albert & Jean-Paul.

Albert Einstein: “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”   

Jean-Paul Sartre:  Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.

No Bob, you had your chance and blew it. Now it seems they are going to rescind and give it to Tony Orlando instead ( "Knock 3 times on the ceiling if you want me, twice on the pipe if the answer is no"...real poetry).

Starry-eyed an’ laughing as I recall when we were caught
Trapped by no track of hours for they hanged suspended
As we listened one last time an’ we watched with one last look
Spellbound an’ swallowed ’til the tolling ended
Tolling for the aching ones whose wounds cannot be nursed
For the countless confused, accused, misused, strung-out ones an’ worse
An’ for every hung-up person in the whole wide universe
An’ we gazed upon the chimes of freedom flashing

(Last verse 'Chimes of Freedom' 1964)

4 hours ago, Prbkk said:

No Bob, you had your chance and blew it. Now it seems they are going to rescind and give it to Tony Orlando instead ( "Knock 3 times on the ceiling if you want me, twice on the pipe if the answer is no"...real poetry).

Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannon balls fly
Before they're forever banned?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind

He screwed up. He should have left it just a few days for the required ambiguity in dealing with the establishment. By leaving it so long he just dug a nasty hole for himself. Eventually, he realised he was a member of the human race. Come on, Bob. You'll be gone soon enough. No need to be an a-hole till the very end.

The latest Dylan dish is that the Nobel yentas are REQUIRING good old Bob to either give a speech or sing a song if he does choose to attend. Can't leave good enough alone? In any case, nobody wants to hear him speak ... so ... the plot thickens. 

30 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

He can pen a fair tune, but,  I wish he would learn to sing.......

It's a bit late for that.

I always thought that was his charm. Incredible lyrics with THAT:shock1: voice ... 

If would be really funny if he could sing pretty and doesn't for effect! 

Edited by Jingthing

The Nobel committee should be accustomed to the arrogance and aloofness of the Great Minds they celebrate. 

Maybe they'll give his award to Donovan instead.  Or one of the other Dylan's from "I'm Not There."

2 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

With the exception of Jimi's cover of All Along the Watchtower and a few covers by the Grateful Dead, who sings Dylan better than Dylan? Jack White gave it a good go, but no dice.

Matter of opinion, but The Byrds, "Mr. Tambourine Man" does it for me. Emmylou Harris, "Every Grain of Sand". Peter, Paul and Mary, Blowing in the Wind".

9 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

Matter of opinion, but The Byrds, "Mr. Tambourine Man" does it for me. Emmylou Harris, "Every Grain of Sand". Peter, Paul and Mary, Blowing in the Wind".

Well, I have to agree with you about Emmylou's cover, but then again she could sing the phonebook and stir you.