Need a haircut not a crew cut!

tukkytuktuk

2 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

I have been here for 15 years and even the Womans Hair salons butcher your Hair I have my hair medium length and even after I tell them not short

PRESTO SHORT HAIR AGAIN

So the best way is to find an English  speaking hair stylist and walk them through exactingly what you want otherwise you are going to get a buzz cut every-time

Alternatively, you could always learn a few words of Thai :jap:

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

My wife cuts mine...mind you, it isn't that hard to do...I'm as bald as a coot. If I were you I wouldn't worry too much....at least your's will grow back.

Reminds me of the reply Winston Churchill gave to the Lady who accused him of being "Blind Drunk"...."maybe so'...he replied...."but you Madam, are a very ugly woman" ....."at least I will be sober when I wake up in the morning".....nice one... eh?

I was always told "The difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is about three weeks"

2 hours ago, monkey4u said:

The best hair cut I ever had in Thailand was in Sukhumvit soi 11

Shampoo shave haircut and  blow j>b all in the one place no waiting 

It was great till I got married, now she who must be obeyed gets out the clippers and thinks I'm a sheep  :huh:

I cant trust her with scissors  :unsure:

"The best hair cut I ever had in Thailand was in Sukhumvit soi 11".

Yes, that would be next to the Villa Supermarket.:giggle:

21 hours ago, upside said:

Do ear wax emporiums really exist ? something quite satisfying about cleaning my own ears so ive never looked for anyone else to do it for me.

I had a hairdresser snip a mole off the back of my neck and it proceeded to bleed like all hell 

Ouch !!!

If you want a straight haircut, tell the barber, "tad pom nit noi" which is cut hair a little and then mia ow crewcut,  Which is I don't want a crewcut, they do understand the latter.  Or alternatively, if you have a Thai wife or g/f, take them with you if you cannot speak Thai.  Given that it gets quite hot over here I opt for a 3 on top and 1 on the sides.  I go to this great little shop in the village, young guy, very clean air-conditioned and he only charges 60 baht, which includes a shave, if required.

I guess the moral is don't scrimp on a haircut if it is that important to you to get the one you want. When in doubt go to a 5* hotel, pay through the nose for the full jobby from a trained hairdresser.

Higher end hair cut people will use scissors more than clippers.

It's not always what you pay of course.

I tried a 500 baht place and thought it was very good but then my cutter left so I tried a 300 baht place and it was just as good. 

Edited by Jingthing

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah, go to a salon not a men's ear wax emporium and pay 300 baht instead of 80 baht and that won't happen unless you want it to. 

Went to a 300 Baht salon where I received the lousiest haircut ever.

My present hairdesser (lady) does it for 80 and gets a 20 Baht tip.

Happy with her cuts.

10 minutes ago, maximillian said:

Went to a 300 Baht salon where I received the lousiest haircut ever.

My present hairdesser (lady) does it for 80 and gets a 20 Baht tip.

Happy with her cuts.

Yes I agree you can get a bad haircut at any price.

But my experience with the under 100's is that it gets to a certain level and never higher. Not limited experience either, tried many of them over several years.

Depends on your hair and what you want of course. For me the mostly hand cut with scissors makes a big noticeable difference. 

Another thing that has helped me is that I took a picture of the 500 baht results and then I don't even have to try to communicate what I want. I seriously doubt any 100 baht place would ever do the same because they're  into high speed and mostly clippers. 

I don't have anything fancy or high fashion either. Too old to pull that off but fortunate to have "full head" of hair, heh heh. 

Another thing you can have fun with with higher end people is to ask them to actually look at your hair type and face shape and SUGGEST a style. You can do that at the cheap places too but they'll think you're crazy and just give you a generic cut. 

There is the "ethnic" factor too. Most expats aren't Thai or Asian. Thai cutters may legitimately have problems with dealing with different ethnic properties of hair. 

Edited by Jingthing

I normally go for a 3 or 4 on top with a 1 or 2 sides and back, I used to use a proper barbers shop when I was living in London. One day my Mrs decided it would be a good idea for her to cut my hair, she gave me the clippers and said put them on, I took this to mean plug them in so I did and handed them back to her, she went from my neck to the middle of the top of my head with no grader on the clippers, it couldn't be saved and I ended up looking like a tennis ball for a few weeks, needless to say she hasn't cut my hair since.

I used to go to the main town about a 10 minute drive, colour (yes colour) why not, women do, and a trim, 200 baht each time, suffice to say it looked like the hairdresser got a new laptop the last time I visited many years ago as she put me with an assistant, I kept saying too long with the colour and the hairdresser would raise her head and say ok ok my pen rye, timer, timer, I knew it was going to be a major F-up, because according to my watch it was more than 10 minutes, suffice to say it appeared the attendant forgot to set the timer or it didn't work, and I ended up with purple hair like one of the old boilers you see walking down the street, instead of brown hair.  

When I got home the Mrs drinking her coffee turned as I opened the door, took one look at me and sprayed the coffee in her mouth all over the place, laughing uncontrollably, (how insensitive), until she saw that I wasn't laughing, then she proceeded to wet herself, hahahaha

She went to the local shop, grabbed something and as she proceeded to put it in my hair and said, you look like a sexy old man, hahaha, and then I had a shower to wash it out, when I looked in the mirror, my hair was totally white, short of killing my wife and making the news, she told me that I had to wait a couple of days to re-colour, which she did personally, thank God for products like Just for Men, and a local hairdresser in the village who knows how to cut my hair, and for only 50 baht. 

I do however feel that she wants to jump me, because every time she finishes, she gets out a razor sharp blade to trim my sides and the back of the neck, and always smiles and says, handsome man, under her heavy breathing, or is it moaning, while she is shaving away, and that razor sharp blade in her hands makes me very very nervous guy, but excited at the same time.

Too bad she is over 21 otherwise I would put her away, so to speak 555

Edited by 4MyEgo

I've bared the brunt of many jokes today in my neck of the woods because of my haircut. Thanks for your advice everyone, much appreciated. Just one other question, a couple of Thai friend's I was having a beer with last night said I should visit the hairdresser they go to, a young women who does extra, nod, nod, wink, wink, for a big tip. I declined, but got me thinking, is that just this one women hairdresser or is this a national secret? Are most hairdresser a knocking shop? Anyways, probably my Thai friends were also winding me up. It seems to be the national sport here.
Cheers Tukky

I used to go to the main town about a 10 minute drive, colour (yes colour) why not, women do, and a trim, 200 baht each time, suffice to say it looked like the hairdresser got a new laptop the last time I visited many years ago as she put me with an assistant, I kept saying too long with the colour and the hairdresser would raise her head and say ok ok my pen rye, timer, timer, I knew it was going to be a major F-up, because according to my watch it was more than 10 minutes, suffice to say it appeared the attendant forgot to set the timer or it didn't work, and I ended up with purple hair like one of the old boilers you see walking down the street, instead of brown hair.  

When I got home the Mrs drinking her coffee turned as I opened the door, took one look at me and sprayed the coffee in her mouth all over the place, laughing uncontrollably, (how insensitive), until she saw that I wasn't laughing, then she proceeded to wet herself, hahahaha

She went to the local shop, grabbed something and as she proceeded to put it in my hair and said, you look like a sexy old man, hahaha, and then I had a shower to wash it out, when I looked in the mirror, my hair was totally white, short of killing my wife and making the news, she told me that I had to wait a couple of days to re-colour, which she did personally, thank God for products like Just for Men, and a local hairdresser in the village who knows how to cut my hair, and for only 50 baht. 

I do however feel that she wants to jump me, because every time she finishes, she gets out a razor sharp blade to trim my sides and the back of the neck, and always smiles and says, handsome man, under her heavy breathing, or is it moaning, while she is shaving away, and that razor sharp blade in her hands makes me very very nervous guy, but excited at the same time.

Too bad she is over 21 otherwise I would put her away, so to speak 555

Cheers for that post mate, made my day!!!!
:lol:

On 10/29/2016 at 8:54 PM, White Christmas13 said:

What is wrong with short hair? I have a number 3 all over every time I go for a cut

I get a Number 2 (2mm long)...here in my small town near CM, haircuts are 70 baht and they do a damn good job!...I have a beard and always get it shaved off when I get a haircut AT NO EXTRA CHARGE!!!...you can't beat that anywhere!

I take in a photo of my desired hairstyle each time I go to my barbershop in MBK and get my hair cut by Noi but I always have to remind her "No taper."  Her tendency is always to cut the sides very short tapering up longer hair at the top.  I refer her back to the picture to get her leave the sides a reasonable length.  It mostly works out OK.  She charges 300 and I give her a nice tip.

13 hours ago, DavisH said:

I think it depends on the system used. I normally get a 3 but from a google search that is 9 mm. A "1" is 3mm. Each number is 3 mm increments.

Whatever.  I definitely wouldn't want the same length all around, top, sides & back.   But I guess if you could learn which "system" they're actually using, you could always point to the top and give the number, then point to the sides & back and give that number, etc.  But I like things smoothly tapered rather than stair-stepped - so showing them the pics works for me.  They never seem surprised, so I gather I'm not the only one who does that. 

18 hours ago, possum1931 said:

A number three??? What is that? I assume it is one of these American marine haircuts. There is nothing wrong with short hair at all, but me being a handsome guy I have long hair, and have had all my teenage and adult life.

Number three refers to the attachment on the clippers.  I ask for a number two which results in about a quarter inch of hair all over.  I only have half a head of hair anyway so short is the way for me.  I go to a salon, same haircutter for years.  Trims ear, nose and eyebrow hair as well.  Cost is 150 baht.  She will run the clippers over chest and back for another 50 baht.  When finished she always comments, "Hansum man again!"

40 minutes ago, williet98248 said:

Number three refers to the attachment on the clippers.  I ask for a number two which results in about a quarter inch of hair all over.  I only have half a head of hair anyway so short is the way for me.  I go to a salon, same haircutter for years.  Trims ear, nose and eyebrow hair as well.  Cost is 150 baht.  She will run the clippers over chest and back for another 50 baht.  When finished she always comments, "Hansum man again!"

A number two is known as a crap (sh!t) in the UK. If I was bald, I would shave my head all over, but I have long hair, not a pony tail, though more than covers my ears, I get my hair permanently straightened about every six months to keep me handsum, it costs 500Bt, I think curly or wavy hair in a guy looks very effiminate. I am probably what would be known as an ageing rocker, though I used to play American country music back in Scotland.

The genes in my family,have always dictated that the men have always had thick hair,and lots of it.My hair is partly grey now(started at 19)I sported long hair back in the day of Led Zeppelin etc but quickly grew out of that as i got older.I have for the last 40 years had a no3.i find it easy to manage and comfortable in dealing with the Thai climate.My wife likes it,for reasons i will not explain on a public forum,and i have never wanted to change it.The only problem is,that my hair has always grown extraordinarily quickly,and I find that i have to get it cut every month.

The Sweeny Todd in our village gives me a good buzz cut and a shave,does my nose hair and eyebrows all for the whacking sum of 50 Bht.I always leave a proper tip and my wife always says i am a hansum man.

As a joke,i always ask him how much he loa khoa he has consumed the night before and get him to show me his hand,before he sets about me with his straight razor.I still have both ears and an intact trachea.:thumbsup: