What % of your diet is Thai food?

joeyg

Curious for travelers and tourists.  I eat pretty much like a Thai but vegetarian.  About 80% fruit, nuts, seeds smoothies etc.

Then a little sticky rice, red rice but preferably Jobes Tears when cooking at home.  Big C carries the Jobes Tears ( Yi Yi Ren) which is worth it's weigh in gold for medicinal properties.  Eat Som Tum almost everyday.  Very careful about what I eat out though.  Most things are loaded with MSG and or sugar.

When I eat out with friends, seems most guys go for American/Euro/Western type food.  My big guilty treat is a couple slices of pizza.  From Bronx Pizza on Soi Diana.  Very good. Or a cheese, tomato, lettuce sandwich at home.

While living or traveling here how much of your diet is Thai food?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Breakfast - muesli at home, sometimes toast if I can find some decent multigrain bread (more difficult than it sounds)
  2. Lunch - fruit from the street vendors
  3. Dinner - depends. If I'm in, things like maize (corn) and other lentils. Baked beans. Never meat. If I go out, Western food largely because jasmine rice is absolutely jam packed with sugar, and that's my meat intake as well

1 minute ago, SaintLouisBlues said:
  1. Breakfast - muesli at home, sometimes toast if I can find some decent multigrain bread (more difficult than it sounds)
  2. Lunch - fruit from the street vendors
  3. Dinner - depends. If I'm in, things like maize (corn) and other lentils. Baked beans. Never meat. If I go out, Western food largely because jasmine rice is absolutely jam packed with sugar, and that's my meat intake as well

Sounds pretty yummy... :smile:

I try to avoid the white rice as well.  I do eat sticky rice sometimes but it doesn't seem to be affecting glucose levels adversely.

With one great Thai cook in the house/kitchen teaching our 16 y/o how to + the 9 y/o helping out; I'm probably around 90%+ Thai food......

This is a good thing....

Once, maybe two times a week we'll/ l will go out for some non Thai food....Sometimes I'll grab the girls & we'll prepare a western meal or bake - not too often though as it's not as healthy -  but tasty....

I'm not much of a western foodie & don't really care about the next greatest discovered place to eat - it's usually not worth the traffic or the hassle.....There's enough local places that have a few choices enticing enough to enjoy.....

Usually some sourdough toast along with breakfast for a day starter.....Seems to always taste good....Along with a nice cold glass of 0% milk......

Edited by pgrahmm

Maybe one evening meal a week is Thai food. It must contain a curry (preferable Penang) or it'll be sent back to the kitchen! :)

Weekday breakfast is an omelette, home-made museli or poached eggs on homemade dark rye with home-made baked beans and a layer of Marmite.

Weekday lunch is salad with a home-made dressing.

Weekday dinner is maybe a spag-bog (again, home-made), fish & veggies or other simple meal.

Friday is usually a BBQ (ribs, burgers, chicken tikka skewers, Thai pork and dipping sauces, etc - always home-made everything).

Weekend breakfasts are usually a grilled full English with home-made sausages, beans & dark rye bread.

Sunday dinner yesterday was a 'Sausage King' Cornish Pasty with beans and chips. Yum!

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

Once, maybe two times a week we'll/ l will go out for some non Thai food....Sometimes I'll grab the girls & we'll prepare a western meal or bake - not too often though as it's not as healthy -  but tasty....

This BS again! How is Thai food healthier than western food ? Everything Thai is fried or overcooked, laced with sugar and oil, even som tam etc is full of sugar and far from healthy, and the size of vegetable portions, if included at all, are tiny.

They cook in the cheapest thin pots, so masses of oil are necessary to stop it sticking anyway, that's just how Thai's like it, oily and sweet!

Compare that to boiled and jacket potatoes, boiled or steamed vegetables and grilled meats and fish, pasta, salads, no comparison, western is way healthier.

59 minutes ago, Steiner said:

This BS again! How is Thai food healthier than western food ? Everything Thai is fried or overcooked, laced with sugar and oil, even som tam etc is full of sugar and far from healthy, and the size of vegetable portions, if included at all, are tiny.

They cook in the cheapest thin pots, so masses of oil are necessary to stop it sticking anyway, that's just how Thai's like it, oily and sweet!

Compare that to boiled and jacket potatoes, boiled or steamed vegetables and grilled meats and fish, pasta, salads, no comparison, western is way healthier.

I'm talking about at our house - not street food....My wife is very health conscious & looking to improve....

Constantly reviews processes & recipes....Lot's veggies & fruits around here....Coconut oil to cook with - not a lot, but some frying, lot's of soups....

Not much processed in our fridge either....Mostly veggies....Fruit is like candy at our place.....

Added sugar? None ever at our table.....Coffee sweetened with honey.....

Salads - not too much at home but they'll order and enjoy when we go out....Not sure why we don't have more at home...

I'll take this any day over my old US staples....

Just what is the obesity rate now in most western counties? Appalling.....

Edited by pgrahmm

How do you prepare a "healthy" deep-fried Mars Bar which - so I'm told - is the national dish of Scotland

Please, dude.

I used the word MANY.

I did not use the word ALL. 

Western food is very varied and I do think some national cuisines are fundamentally more unhealthy than others.

For example, Greek vs. Polish.

Greek being a Mediterranean cuisine is obviously GENERALLY more health promoting. 

Edited by Jingthing

How do you prepare a "healthy" deep-fried Mars Bar which - so I'm told - is the national dish of Scotland

It may be prepared the same way as a deep fried twinkie- I hear is the hillbilly dessert of choice in the southern united states.

1 minute ago, HLover said:

It may be prepared the same way as a deep fried twinkie- I hear is the hillbilly dessert of choice in the southern united states.

I've never seen it on any menu. It's more of a novelty food at seasonal country FAIR events.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I've never seen it on any menu. It's more of a novelty food at seasonal country FAIR events.

They sell them at the boardwalk amusement park in Santa Cruz, CA...Much akin to a county fair....Never had any thoughts about trying one though.....Other than that I've never seen them.....

2 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Obesity in the states is down to greed, the portions people eat there is incredible.

Other western countries aren't as bad.

I did read a recent survey that said Thailand is now 3rd in the world for diabetes and very high for strokes.

1 in 13 adult Thais now have diabetes, that's no small potatoes considering the dodgy health system and self medication that goes on here, further masking numbers of sufferers until they drop dead.

Thailand is now 2nd in SEA for obesity numbers.
America 38% Thailand 32% considering the relevant portion sizes, who's eating the worse food? 

Your house is obviously an outlier.

fThey have been eating the same food here for years.. and the obesity and diabetic problems are just a recent thing... so it can't be down to the Thai food. 

It is no coincidence that obesity and diabetes started to increase significantly with the arrival of AMERICAN FAST FOOD AND SUGAR DRINKS LIKE COLA.

Its these highly processed foods that are the problem, not the traditional diet... same goes in Europe and America.  Years ago most people in the UK were not overweight.. and they ate traditional foods like pies, baked cakes, meat, eggs, etc.  They even used butter, lard and dripping to cook with.. and yet still were not overweight.  Now we have so many fast food places, and people have forgotten how to cook a simple meal.. so they buy processed frozen or microwave meals. 

I eat about 90 percent Thai food.  I only eat farang food if I go to a restaurant.. which is not often.. and then usually its Italian food I eat.  Don't have bread at home, and never eat breakfast cereal.

Edited by jak2002003

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

fThey have been eating the same food here for years.. and the obesity and diabetic problems are just a recent thing... so it can't be down to the Thai food. 

It is no coincidence that obesity and diabetes started to increase significantly with the arrival of AMERICAN FAST FOOD AND SUGAR DRINKS LIKE COLA.

Its these highly processed foods that are the problem, not the traditional diet... same goes in Europe and America.  Years ago most people in the UK were not overweight.. and they ate traditional foods like pies, baked cakes, meat, eggs, etc.  They even used butter, lard and dripping to cook with.. and yet still were not overweight.  Now we have so many fast food places, and people have forgotten how to cook a simple meal.. so they buy processed frozen or microwave meals. 

I eat about 90 percent Thai food.  I only eat farang food if I go to a restaurant.. which is not often.. and then usually its Italian food I eat.  Don't have bread at home, and never eat breakfast cereal.

Id  say its  totally down to more cash to spend now, when I was a kid  few  were fat, can see old videos mid 1970's, just didnt have enough spare  cash to buy  junk food. It was available though

Simply not true. Traditional staples, especially in Isaan are the primary cause of diabetes. For example, white rice, especially sticky rice is awful crap and it makes up the bulk of the meal out in the villages.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

9 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

With one great Thai cook in the house/kitchen teaching our 16 y/o how to + the 9 y/o helping out; I'm probably around 90%+ Thai food......

This is a good thing....

I'm not much of a western foodie & don't really care about the next greatest discovered place to eat - it's usually not worth the traffic or the hassle.....There's enough local places that have a few choices enticing enough to enjoy.....

Usually some sourdough toast along with breakfast for a day starter.....Seems to always taste good....Along with a nice cold glass of 0% milk......

I like the toast and milk breakfast. Excellent!  As I'm understanding more about the adverse effects of wheat on our bodies I'm trying to minimize it.  But I am addicted to it.  try and stop eating it and see how you feel, as an experiment.  

Very interesting research coming out on wheat's connection to Alzheimers's disease.  Also components of wheat have a similar profile to opiate molecules and effect similar opiate based receptors in the brain.

8 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Maybe one evening meal a week is Thai food. It must contain a curry (preferable Penang) or it'll be sent back to the kitchen! :)

Weekday breakfast is an omelette, home-made museli or poached eggs on homemade dark rye with home-made baked beans and a layer of Marmite.

Weekday lunch is salad with a home-made dressing.

Weekday dinner is maybe a spag-bog (again, home-made), fish & veggies or other simple meal.

Friday is usually a BBQ (ribs, burgers, chicken tikka skewers, Thai pork and dipping sauces, etc - always home-made everything).

Weekend breakfasts are usually a grilled full English with home-made sausages, beans & dark rye bread.

Sunday dinner yesterday was a 'Sausage King' Cornish Pasty with beans and chips. Yum!

Actually sounds pretty good.  For me I'd edit out the meat and pretty healthy I think.

8 hours ago, Steiner said:

Just for clarity.  I mentioned in the OP that lots of Thai food was loaded with MSG or sugar.  I mostly prepare food at home, Thai style.  Or my Lao girlfriend makes very nice clean Lao veggi food at home.

You do know about the dangers of grilled meat.  Of course you do.  Dozens more links like this.  Educate yourself.  Or not... http://blog.doctoroz.com/oz-experts/the-hidden-dangers-of-grilling

7 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

I'm talking about at our house - not street food....My wife is very health conscious & looking to improve....

Constantly reviews processes & recipes....Lot's veggies & fruits around here....Coconut oil to cook with - not a lot, but some frying, lot's of soups....

Not much processed in our fridge either....Mostly veggies....Fruit is like candy at our place.....

Added sugar? None ever at our table.....Coffee sweetened with honey.....

Salads - not too much at home but they'll order and enjoy when we go out....Not sure why we don't have more at home...

I'll take this any day over my old US staples....

Nice.  Good for you and your family.  I think you're headed in a tasty and healthy direction... 

7 hours ago, HLover said:

I ate one of these once at a County Fair in San Diego.  It was delicious but I threw up shortly after.

4 hours ago, Steiner said:

Obesity in the states is down to greed, the portions people eat there is incredible.

Other western countries aren't as bad.

I did read a recent survey that said Thailand is now 3rd in the world for diabetes and very high for strokes.

1 in 13 adult Thais now have diabetes, that's no small potatoes considering the dodgy health system and self medication that goes on here, further masking numbers of sufferers until they drop dead.

Thailand is now 2nd in SEA for obesity numbers.
America 38% Thailand 32% considering the relevant portion sizes, who's eating the worse food? 

Your house is obviously an outlier.

Excellent stats/info.  I know, I've spent a good bit of time in India the past couple of years doing NGO Medical work.  Thailand I think was a close second.  It's a diabetes disaster.  I believe it's #1 for type 2 diabetes...

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

99%... but not tonight!

P_20161031_210115 (Small).jpg

Ya gotta have fun once in a while anyway... :smile:  I got crazy today and had three slices of pizza and 6 Dark Beer Lao... ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz....... 

I am probably 40-50% Thai food (living currently in Hawaii, USA). We are moving soon to Thailand and I expect that when we get there the percentage will be more on the order of 80-90% Thai. When we make Som Tom it is made with papaya, tomatoes, chili, lime, green beans, and fish sauce (maybe a pinch of MSG). You can ask for it to be made without sugar.