Overstay situation

The airline only checks your passport or other photo ID for identification purposes, but of course, there is always at least a very small chance that you could encounter a police check somewhere en route from home/hotel to your arrival at the airport in Bangkok.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Passport or government-issued identification? Where exactly is "quite a lot"?

Okay, let start with just the last few months

China, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Myanmar - in all of those countries I have needed my passport to fly domestically.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Honthy said:

where on the Earth you need passport,if you fly inside that country ?

I always have my passport with me when I travel here so that is what use for identification.

Traveling without having it with you here would be foolish.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Ian1980 said:

I am quite sure bus will be more dangerous that airplane.

Attire + Attitude = Status. None of which will matter a tinker's damn, once you mount a bus. Gently slapping a nice wallet on an airline counter with a proper and clear display window for your Thai DL/ID will go a long way in getting you anywhere you need to go, locally. If pressed, and you can cough up a Tabien Ban, so much the better. Keep the PP, however, under wraps unless revealing it becomes absolutely necessary. At which point, I would seriously consider aborting the mission (feign surprise and claim you left the freaking thing at home), and live to make another run at it with the bus.

This way you actually get two shots. Don't let anyone fool you. Overstay has become a very serious matter. So, if you value the path of least resistance, you will heed this advice. They are checking PP's for all sorts of ominous reasons, which with their 'betters' looking over their shoulders, makes once improbable outcomes much more likely. This is not the time for any of us to become cavalier; regardless of what conventional wisdom here might otherwise suggest; there is a great deal at stake for the OP. And before anyone else says anything, let me state unequivocally, the sky is in fact falling, so we  might want to forego our differences for a spell, and start looking out for each other, rather than airing our purported 'superiorities.'

I'll keep a light on, just in case this takes hold.

• Like 1

Just now, Argus Tuft said:

Okay, let start with just the last few months

China, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Myanmar - in all of those countries I have needed my passport to fly domestically.

I have never used my passport to fly domestically in Thailand or Malaysia. Any government-issued photo identification will do. Heck, I've even used my San Antonio Public Transit photo ID card. Look at the Nok Air FAQs, for example. They require "a photo identification card" and I've certainly flown with them showing just my Thai driver's license. The Cebu (Philippines) site says " valid photo-ID (such as passport, government or company ID and school ID)"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

I have never used my passport to fly domestically in Thailand or Malaysia. Any government-issued photo identification will do. Heck, I've even used my San Antonio Public Transit photo ID card. Look at the Nok Air FAQs, for example. They require "a photo identification card" and I've certainly flown with them showing just my Thai driver's license. The Cebu (Philippines) site says " valid photo-ID (such as passport, government or company ID and school ID)"

I'm very pleased that you used your San Antonio Public Transit photo ID card - you must be very proud.

As for me, I do not have a Thai drivers licence, so it was necessary for me to use my passport.

And I can safely tell you that as a foreigner you're not getting on a domestic flight on Myanmar with your bus pass or a drivers licence

No passport no flight. But please do go ahead and google away at more airlines and post their requirements. 

Precisely - it was necessary for you because you only have a passport. It is not necessary for everybody. So we're now down to a single country - Myanmar - that you can point to so as to support your ridiculous assertion that there's "quite a lot of the earth" where no-one can fly without a passport.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Precisely - it was necessary for you because you only have a passport. It is not necessary for everybody. So we're now down to a single country - Myanmar - that you can point to so as to support your ridiculous assertion that there's "quite a lot of the earth" where no-one can fly without a passport.

If you want to quote me - quote me in full please.  Don't pick and choose the few words that suit you.

And for goodness sake - of course I am not the only person who needs a passport to travel within a foreign country, and there are more than just Myanmar.  Stop being so pedantic

Just now, Argus Tuft said:

If you want to quote me - quote me in full please.  Don't pick and choose the few words that suit you.

And for goodness sake - of course I am not the only person who needs a passport to travel within a foreign country, and there are more than just Myanmar.  Stop being so pedantic

Still waiting for that list

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ian1980 said:

I am quite sure bus will be more dangerous that airplane.

By air is the best option. One friend was on overstay and went to Bangkok by bus and as he left the bus station with his luggage, a police officer corned him and got 10k from him with all the threats of sending him to the IDC and him missing his flight out of Thailand. When the police see foreigners at the bus station with luggage, they suspect that they may be on overstay and may be leaving. At the airport, they are mostly concern with checking your name and the name on the air ticket as well as the photo to confirm that you are the person.

Edited by Shatian
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Shatian said:

By air is the best option. One friend was on overstay and went to Bangkok by bus and as he left the bus station with his luggage, a police officer corned him and got 10k from him with all the threats of sending him to the IDC and him missing his flight out of Thailand. When the police see foreigners at the bus station with luggage, they suspect that they may be on overstay and may be leaving. At the airport, they are mostly concern with checking your name and the name on the air ticket as well as the photo to confirm that you are the person.

Yes the RTP use bus stations to extort and do what they do best nothing.