Overstay situation

All I can add and good luck by the way hope it goes smoothly.

I have travelled by air domestic in thailand numerous times always on passport  (have ID card/DL but as I'm going away from home I always carry and use passport). the only thing checked in passport is your picture page absolutely nothing else..

• Like 2

10 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

No, Passport will be checked for sure.  Bus!!

Obviously you haven't lived or flown much in this country. 

In the past 13 years I have only used my thai DL for check in without any problems,  same with hotels.

If you don't have a local DL, then of course you don't have any choice but to use your passport.

And airline staff are only looking at the ID page, they aren't immigration officers and couldn't give 2 hoots whether you are on overstay or not...

Edited by Chalard
Missed a letter
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chalard said:

Obviously you haven't lived or flown much in this country. 

In the past 13 years I have only used my thai DL for check in without any problems,  same with hotels.

If you don't have a local DL, then of course you don't have any choice but to use your passport.

And airline staff are only looking at the ID page, they aren't immigration officers and couldn't give 2 hoots whether you are on overstay or not...

Yes agreed although if the OP goes through stumbling and mumbling they may want a sqizz..I suggest you have your passport open at I'D PAGE. BE cool relaxed. They will whizz you through.

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I always have my passport with me when I travel here so that is what use for identification.

Traveling without having it with you here would be foolish.

True, but at the counter you may use whatever instrument applicable for identify yourself. I were able to use my old driving licence, factory entrance card valid for location in an other country.  Keeping your passport is wise and legally binding, but the question here was if he must use his passport when flying inside of Thailand. To this question the short answer is : No ...... 

Edited by Honthy

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I always have my passport with me when I travel here so that is what use for identification.

Traveling without having it with you here would be foolish.

It is true. Keeping your passport is legally compulsory in Thailand and telling the truth it is wise as well, but  the question was however, if he can fly without passport domestically. The correct answer to this question is yes.

21 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

Okay, let start with just the last few months

China, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Myanmar - in all of those countries I have needed my passport to fly domestically.

I travelled a lot in these countries. Believe me or not, I did not have to show my passport, when flying domestically. Actually, the reason the air company wants to know your identity, and for this other gears are quite good, like dl, WP, etc. I could travel using my international dl in Thailand and Malaysia.

As a foreigner wherever you are you have to have a passport with valid visa or stay permit and this is an international rule, exept in Shengen area or in USA where id is enough. In my country dl is not enough not being considered an identification dic and have to be accompained by the id card.

This said, you can travel without pp on your own risk, cause police has always the right to check and identify you, or travel with your pp in pocket and show other id or dl to airline staff to fly domestic in Thailand.

I forgat once my pp at home but could fly back and forth by showing my foreign id card once in Suvarnabumi and once in Phuket. Don't know if I was just lucky but it worked, nevertheless can't bet that will work again. Sometimes an inexperienced trainee staff could make problems out of nothing......

Before choosing the check in counter observe well which one looks less strict but don't ask if they accept an id or dl cause could make them suspicious.

Never forget that airport are always sensitive sites under military control even in our countries of origin and if there is an alarm situation they could check even one by one each passenger before entering the airport or at exit. Specialy with this ISIL situation and foreign fighters traveling arround and escaping from Mosul or Afganistan......

Wish good luck to any case

1 hour ago, Ian1980 said:

But when he has to go to the counter for check in the baggage, maybe that moment can be dangerous, if the staff will check all the passport.

What about when he goes to the 7-11 to buy a bottle of water? If not, why are airline staff more dangerous than 7-11 employees?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

What about when he goes to the 7-11 to buy a bottle of water? If not, why are airline staff more dangerous than 7-11 employees?

At 7-11 no need to show your passport for a bootle of water.

2 minutes ago, Ian1980 said:

At 7-11 no need to show your passport for a bootle of water.

When checking in for a domestic flight, you do not need to show your passport either, assuming you have another form of ID. Even if you do use your passport as your form of identification, it is fanciful to assume that airline employees are moonlighting as unpaid immigration officials.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

When checking in for a domestic flight, you do not need to show your passport either, assuming you have

another form of ID. Even if you do use your passport as your form of identification, it is fanciful to assume that airline employees are moonlighting as unpaid immigration officials.

But In case of International flights the check In staff has to check If you are holding a proper visa for your destination specialy If your return date Is booked exceeding the nr of days of the normal visa IIssued on arrival. That means that airport staff Is acting on behalf of police officers and they can easily call a police officer, having this right for security reason. Immagine that they can also refuse you to get on board for any reason If they want, by the way a ground manager can stop even a captain to get on board and drive a plane If they thing he Is not In the right condition.....

and wE never know what are the Instructions they receive each day.....

On Friday, November 04, 2016 at 1:45 AM, SaintLouisBlues said:

Australia, NZ? I don't resall ever having to have any form of ID with me when travelling in those countries. UK neither. Passport & visa to enter, yes

You can say or write what you want....you can even travel all your life without but an Identification doc Is required by law anyway and anyy where In this world. Try to explain It to any officer when they stop you. If you don't have they will bring you directly to police station for verifications. Then Is up to you to thing, act, and proceed how you prefear, It's sure not my problem

2 minutes ago, MaxiMaxi said:

You can say or write what you want....you can even travel all your life without but an Identification doc Is required by law anyway and anyy where In this world. Try to explain It to any officer when they stop you. If you don't have they will bring you directly to police station for verifications. Then Is up to you to thing, act, and proceed how you prefear, It's sure not my problem

True... especially in these modern times ... they want to know who you are and where you from and how long you staying... this is why the Thai authorities are requiring that foreigners coming to Thailand apply for and carrying a visa... it is a record of your details and they can inform your government if you are a bad person.. cant blame them with all the wanted characters roaming around Thailand and neighboring countries... with suspicious motives..

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BritTim said:

What about when he goes to the 7-11 to buy a bottle of water? If not, why are airline staff more dangerous than 7-11 employees?

Because you don't know, but they are officialy representing the police In that moment. Are not just a nice lady sitting there taping a keybord

2 minutes ago, MaxiMaxi said:

Because you don't know, but they are officialy representing the police In that moment. Are not just a nice lady sitting there taping a keybord

I disagree with what your wrote. The person at the check in counter or at the gate certainly do not represent the police in anyway.

When you pass through the security check those people do represent them but they are they are certainly not going to be interested in anything more than your passport for identification purposes. All they want to to see is your photo page in your passport.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yooyoo said:

True... especialy nn these modern times ... they want to know who you are and where you from and how long you staying... this is why the Thai authorities are requiring that foreigners coming to Thailand apply for and carrying a visa... it is a record of your details and they can inform your government if you are a bad person.. cant blame them with all the wanted characters roaming around Thailand and neighboring countries... with suspicious motives..

Thank you for this coment. I agree. Yes It's maybe unpleasant for us, cause we perceive It as violation of our privacy but they can do It and advise our embassies signing our lives In a bad way.

The global problems and the tight connection of Interpol Is creating strict rules more and more

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I disagree with what your wrote. The person at the check in counter or at the gate certainly do not represent the police in anyway.

When you pass through the security check those people do represent them but they are they are certainly not going to be interested in anything more than your passport for identification purposes. All they want to to see is your photo page in your passport.

You can disagree It's your freedom I don't mind but the reality Is very different from what Is the common thinking. And I confirm what I wrote: they can act on behalf of them...

33 minutes ago, MaxiMaxi said:

Are you referring to 7-11 employees or airline employees here?

42 minutes ago, MaxiMaxi said:

I can only speak for the UK. There was at one time a move to introduce a national identity card, similar to that used by (most) other countries. There was much public opposition, and the attempt never went far,. It was scrapped back in 2011 (https://www.gov.uk/identitycards). While not true in most countries, in the UK, there is no law that you must carry any form of identification, though many everyday tasks (such as cashing cheques, or entering clubs) do, of course, make it necessary. The police need good cause to detain you and require you to prove your identity. They cannot just stop you and take you to the police station because you lack id.

But In case of International flights the check In staff has to check If you are holding a proper visa for your destination specialy If your return date Is booked exceeding the nr of days of the normal visa IIssued on arrival. That means that airport staff Is acting on behalf of police officers and they can easily call a police officer, having this right for security reason. Immagine that they can also refuse you to get on board for any reason If they want, by the way a ground manager can stop even a captain to get on board and drive a plane If they thing he Is not In the right condition.....
and wE never know what are the Instructions they receive each day.....

No. That does not mean that they are acting on behalf of police officers. That means they are trying to prevent immigration problems and thereby expenses for the airline with the destination country.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

thats what he is trying to do, did you not read the op

No, that's not what he is trying to do. He is trying to catch a flight from BKK to Phuket (presumably to have some additional vacation) before hitting the 90 day limit that renders a ban. He is already in violation of Thai immigration law and should get out without any detours.

You read it but you don't seem to understand it.

30 minutes ago, ThailandLOS said:

No, that's not what he is trying to do. He is trying to catch a flight from BKK to Phuket (presumably to have some additional vacation) before hitting the 90 day limit that renders a ban. He is already in violation of Thai immigration law and should get out without any detours.

I no want to be rude, but its seem that you not understand.He wrote he will catch a Phuket-Bangkok flight and after fly out.

• Like 2

Best read properly before commenting.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Myran said:

How many people die every year from bus crashes in Thailand and how many die from plane crashes in Thailand? Utterly ridiculous comment and I refuse to believe someone can be this stupid. You must be trolling.

People are often not very rational on such matters. I know multiple people who are frightened to fly on top-rated airlines, but happily jump motorcycle taxis without wearing crash helmets. As they say in parts of England: "there's nowt so queer as folk".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

inincan onendy speak for the UK c There was at one time a move to intentification doduce a national identity card, similar to that used by (most) other countries. There was much public opposition, and the attempt never went far,. It was scrapped back in 2011 (https://www.gov.uk/identitycards). While not true in most countries, in the UK, there is no law that you must carry any form of identification, though many everyday tasks (such as cashing cheques, or entering clubs) do, of course, make it necessary. The police need good cause to detain you and require you to prove your identity. They cannot just stop you and take you to the police station because you lack id.

It might be as you say but can't thing how can be a country where doesn't exist an official Identification doc or card with your photo and datas....in case you don't want apply for passport. After the attacks happened In London, the police didn't stop and Identify people? Or they have an evoluated computer system where Is stored your picture and datas but as time passes the picture must be updated somehow....!!

When I flow from Liverpool an Inside euroopean flight I had to show my ID card at check-in and embarkation as well at hotel, UK citicens don't have to??.

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

I can only speak for the UK. There was at one time a move to introduce a national identity card, similar to that used by (most) other countries. There was much public opposition, and the attempt never went far,. It was scrapped back in 2011 (https://www.gov.uk/identitycards). While not true in most countries, in the UK, there is no law that you must carry any form of identification, though many everyday tasks (such as cashing cheques, or entering clubs) do, of course, make it necessary. The police need good cause to detain you and require you to prove your identity. They cannot just stop you and take you to the police station because you lack id.

Because there Is an alternative multiple Issuing system to have an ID card, that's why!

Screenshot_2016-11-06-00-51-16.png