Duck for your life: Thais plea for officials to fix exposed cables on their overpass

webfact

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those damned things are everywhere. There are no overpasses/pedestrian walkways in Thonglor, as the BMA decided spending the money on pretty, but useless, street lights was more important, so the offending cables are at foot and face level, giving you the option of tripping over them or being strangled.

8 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"This instance, however, is tougher to joke about as people in Samut Songkhram have had to duck under the wires to avoid possible electrocution."

The cables appear to be insulated otherwise anyone touching those handrails would be electrocuted. It is not unbelievable to see this as some of the typical shoddy wiring practices carried out in this country have been shown on TVF may times in the past. The local authorities responsible for this pedestrian overpass should be hauled up on charges for allowing the electrical contractors / PEA to leave cables in such a manner.

There could be haul up insurance involved. 

4 hours ago, Estrada said:

These cables are not exposed as they are insulated, telecom and fibre optic cables and there is no danger whatsoever of electrocution.  This looks like a new pedestrian footbridge that has been built in the path of the cables so that there should have been contact with the telecom companies to move their cables before the bridge was constructed.

Sorry .. No excuse for this .. If you build a new footbridge l, then the "planners" contact the PEA and reroute the cables via junction box, the Internet cables just cut them a the nearest pole. 

And, before any starts, there are planners, surveyors and civil engineers here, I used to work at a college where they trained.

Like others say, this is not the only place or instance of ridiculous placement in this country - in Yala there is a row of very tall high powered street / flood lamps which run along the side of the road but with there must be a lack of suitable public land or the path of the road bends, because to keep the straight line one pole is placed in the middle of a lane and people drive around it ?!!? 

Edited by recom273

2 hours ago, Grubster said:

I would rather they worry about the thousands of razor sharp roof edges hanging about 6' ready to scalp unsuspecting taller people. TIT though, gotta love it. Shopping is very dangerous for tall people here.

Yes roofedges, trafficsigns, umbrellapins, ropes at umbrella's, busstop signs and they all have razor sharp edges...they were even too lazy to file the edges a bit more round...why would they? Who cares if somebody scalps their head or looses an eyeball??

5 hours ago, samsensam said:

a friend's husband's mother died when she was cutting mangos from a tree and cut through an electricity cable threaded through the tree.

shorting out all those tangled cables and securing them safely or replacing them underground would be quite a task.

Or she planted her mango tree under an existing cable. Either is common practice.

In my time living here I have got my head caught in a low hanging cable slung across an aisle in a very large supermarket, tripped on cables not taped down on shop floors and hit my head on various boxes brackets overhanging the pavements at eye level etc etc ! 

5 hours ago, dotpoom said:

They are not exposed wires, they are wires that are in people's way.....anyway, they are telecommunication wires.

More precisely, "They're reportedly telecommunication wires"

Source: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/10/31/duck-your-life-thais-plea-officials-fix-exposed-cables-their-overpass-photos

So this situation has existed for months, but has any concerned Thai citizen reported it to the government hotline 1111 or to the ombudsman? Most likely, an overpass stair would the be constructed on the overpass to walk over the cables.

As a last resort, somebody could cut the wires with an insulated pair of pliers if that spot is not covered by CCTV cameras.

6 hours ago, FredNL said:

Just get an axe and cut those wires. Problem solved !!!

The fibrecable to my home was cut by the gardeners from the project manager. For a week we had no internet, they had to make a new cable for about 500 metre or more.

The gardeners are very rude when they cut the tree's which grow into the cables, they even don't look and just cut and pull.

I expected the project manager had to pay for the new cable but they changed it for free :blink:

It took 3 guys and 1 girl a whole day to change the cable...when finished the old cable was laying on the road for 2 weeks, even the streetsweeper (who comes every day) refused to pick it up. Then somebody rolled it up and it's still laying on the sidewalk. Thailand only krab!

Not surprised at the poor installation of those cables. What does surprise me, is that some enterprising Thai has not connected into the said cables and is now running a small sweat shop for free, of the illegal supply.    :coffee1:

11 hours ago, Grubster said:

I would rather they worry about the thousands of razor sharp roof edges hanging about 6' ready to scalp unsuspecting taller people. TIT though, gotta love it. Shopping is very dangerous for tall people here.

no proplem...you walk into one of those things and you get an inch or two shorter, very quick.

12 hours ago, Grubster said:

Looks like plenty of room to go underneath the Bridge, I think the Bridge builder pushed them up without consulting the Communications company's.  It is not easy to cut reroute and splice these cables, probably cheaper to cut the bridge and rebuild.

It is expensive to splice some of these cables, specifically fiber optic cables, and requires some pretty high tech equipment, but still less expensive than replacing the bridge.  Hard to tell if these are fiber optic cables.  Several years ago I was surprised to find out that a critical fiber optic Internet "backbone" that connected the US to Canada ran along the the railroad right-of-way adjacent to my store when a tech supervisor stopped by the store to chat about a city construction project.  At that time the cost to a contractor who accidentally cut the line was about $30,000.  The city construction project would require raising the line above the ground and require security 24/7.  The additional cost to the city, totally unanticipated by the city, was in the neighborhood of $200,000. And that was about 10 years ago.

On 31/10/2016 at 8:08 PM, Grubster said:

Yes, those metal roof will scrape the skin of your forehead or top of your head if you are tall enough to hit the roof.

Occupier's liability? "what's that ?", the Thais asked. They don't know there is a law that says if you knowing or unknowing put someone in danger or caused injury in your place of work or residence you are responsible in the law(well, British common law, I don't know about Thailand).

They probably think you walked into the roof so it's your fault really, I don't think they even bother to apologize. ( To apologize means you admit guilty right?)

I will repeat what was said, "Thailand is Thailand".

However if you are a convicted murderer from a state in US that has death penalty (electric chair) and you got electrocuted by those wires hanging out there then it must be "Karma". Karma follows you like a shadow. Well, ZZZZZZZ sound then a couple of seizure and you are on your way.......maybe frothing at the mouth, lot of bubbles coming out. And you have strange looking hue on your skin.