how to pay for uk passport-anykind of debitcard is ok?

i dont have a debit card at the moment and i remember seeing here that

some debit cards dont work fo paying for uk pport

i have a savings account at SCB bank and they want 350b a year for a simple card. id do it

but got to make sure first. anyone had problems with SCB?

or.............if theres one of them newfangled one-time only cards one could use and save

paying 350b

any help appreciated

There have been reports of debit cards from Thai banks not working for a UK passport application. Not sure if the SCB card will work.

Many people have had to use friends or family members cards to pay for the passport.

I don't think 350 baht is a lot to pay for a ATM/debit card you and use for many things. Not sure what I would do without mine.

• Like 2

ive got quite a problem here.........to get to my interview its an 11 hour bus journey

plus a few hours more travelling across bangkok to the office, present my documents

and find that its not possible to pay the fee

then i try and get hold of another debit card....how? hassle someone on the street

asking if i can use their debit number, then arranging another interview

so next interview i present the documents and the new card doesnt work also

why must it be so difficult?

3 minutes ago, jikwan said:

ive got quite a problem here.........to get to my interview its an 11 hour bus journey

plus a few hours more travelling across bangkok to the office, present my documents

and find that its not possible to pay the fee

then i try and get hold of another debit card....how? hassle someone on the street

asking if i can use their debit number, then arranging another interview

so next interview i present the documents and the new card doesnt work also

why must it be so difficult?

You just fill out the credit/debit card form to submit with your application at Trendy. The payment will not be processed until it gets to the UK. If there is a problem they will contact you about it. You can then call them with info about a different card.

• Like 1

I am collecting my new Passport from Bangkok tomorrow. I used the Kasikorn Kbank Shopping Card (virtual credit card). It was processed without any problems.  However, I understand that the same card is not being accepted at the Consular Office for Income letters.

Personally I would have expected the complete opposite........

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JustinCredible said:

I am collecting my new Passport from Bangkok tomorrow. I used the Kasikorn Kbank Shopping Card (virtual credit card). It was processed without any problems.  However, I understand that the same card is not being accepted at the Consular Office for Income letters.

Personally I would have expected the complete opposite........

ah! something that is proven to work. ok, can i just buy this card without having an

account at kasikorn or they will only give it if youve already got an account?

15 minutes ago, jikwan said:

ah! something that is proven to work. ok, can i just buy this card without having an

account at kasikorn or they will only give it if youve already got an account?

It's an add on to a savings account so you'd need to have an account first.  I'd imagine SCB might well have something similar.

Debit cards are definitely accepted, I paid with one (UK based) in May but in other threads it has been often reported that the standard ATM/Debit card issued by the banks here are the most likely to fail.

Do you really not know anybody who's card you could use?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jikwan said:

good to know that. thanks

UK Debit cards are accepted, I used mine to pay around 8 months ago

Some Thai bank cards do not work online or cannot be used for debit transactions, I have a Bangkok Bank B1ST account and these work online

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Maybe they mean UK ones, the UK Embassy cannot speak for Thai banks.

1 minute ago, Lamkyong said:

as they do not specify  uk/eu/thai         do they expect people to guess

this guessing isnt right. im looking for a sure fire way of paying for this pp

there should be no doubts at all in paying the fee

if we hammer it out a bit we could find a guaranteed formula and save everyone

from needless suffering

regarding asking to use other peoples cards........i hesitate to ask. people dont

trust each other much these days. they might think youd use their number to

buy cars and houses and run off

im staying in a temple. most people here dont have money never mind a bank account

ive just had an idea that might guarantee the correct means to pay.........

anyone can know for sure if they first email the processing centre in uk

one would ask if i used SBC would you accept?

if i use bangkok bank debit would it be accepted?

if they say yes its guaranteed

would their office respond to "minor" quieries like this?

• Like 1

I agree with you that is not so good to borrow someone else's credit/debit card details, but from what I can see your only option just now is to pay the 350 baht and get the SCB card and see if it works.

As Joe said earlier, if it is declined then they will give you plenty of notice to work on another solution.

one other thing to add, you mentioned about your 11 hour journey, remember you will need to do this again when your passport arrive as you need to pick it up in person from trendy.

as mentioned earlier and from my experience 3 months ago, the Bangkok bank B1st debit card definitely works.

Edited by Doiger
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doiger said:

I agree with you that is not so good to borrow someone else's credit/debit card details, but from what I can see your only option just now is to pay the 350 baht and get the SCB card and see if it works.

As Joe said earlier, if it is declined then they will give you plenty of notice to work on another solution.

one other thing to add, you mentioned about your 11 hour journey, remember you will need to do this again when your passport arrive as you need to pick it up in person from trendy.

oh, thats news to me. i thought they used a special delivery and it would be delivered

to ones doorstep! ok, i never knew that

im going to take a look at their site and see if i can email them first

1 hour ago, Doiger said:

I used my Bangkok bank debit card with no problem 3 months ago.

It seems they have changed their system since the last reports of problems with local bank debit cards. Back then Bangkok Bank cards could not be processed.

I think the SCB card will work now as well.

• Like 2

You are required to pick it up in person so they can cancel your old passport (cutting the corner off of it)

you can get a third party to pick it up as long as they have a copy of the arrival letter from trendy towers and your old passport (apparently)

• Like 1

heres what ive done

ive just sent this a minute ago (they know i live in thailand)

I am about to renew my passport but I'm told there are many credit/debit cards
not accepted by your office.
I have a savings account at one of Thailands biggest banks and they would
issue me with a simple debit card. It's the SCB bank. Would you accept payment
if I used their card?
I'm worried you'll not accept it which means I must travel on the bus about 25 hours
in total to make a new application.
Any advice appreciated

this is the page

https://eforms.homeoffice.gov.uk/outreach/Passport_Enquiries.ofml

they state it could take as long as 15 days for their reply!

this could very well be the solution to our payment woes

17 minutes ago, Doiger said:

You are required to pick it up in person so they can cancel your old passport (cutting the corner off of it)

you can get a third party to pick it up as long as they have a copy of the arrival letter from trendy towers and your old passport (apparently)

unless you use the tv endorsed passport service  about 500 bht   (plus p/p fee  they accept cc/debit /bank transfer

Edited by Lamkyong
more info

I used a debit card from Kasikorn to set up an online virtual shopping card. The payment was accepted no problem The only problem was setting it up Kasikorn in my experience of dealing with them on this and other matters are staffed by lazy incompetent fools.

SCB have told me that I can use my card in a similar way. You might want to email their customer service center they will send you a link to the page to sent everything up.

Edited by johninbkk71

10 minutes ago, johninbkk71 said:

I used a debit card from Kasikorn to set up an online virtual shopping card. The payment was accepted no problem The only problem was setting it up Kasikorn in my experience of dealing with them on this and other matters are staffed by lazy incompetent fools.

SCB have told me that I can use my card in a similar way. You might want to email their customer service center they will send you a link to the page to sent everything up.

ok, you get a debitcard first, then pay using a shopping card. id guess if it works using

a shopping card it must definately work using the basis---the debit card. i know what

you mean with bank staff. id like to eliminate/minimize any contact with them

i like the idea of a one time only card. i would get that. i have no need for all year round

credit cards

My daughter recently renewed her British passport.  Her Kbank debit card was no problem at Trendy.  As people have already pointed out, the payment is processed in the UK and not here.  I got a call a week or so later from the UK pointing out her Kbank card could not be processed.  The lady said that most Thai bank cards are 'red-flagged'.  I paid it over the phone using my UK debit card which they processed immediately.  Still waiting for my daughter to reimburse me!!! Cost of being a father!

My wife used her BE1st from Bangkok Bank about a year ago to renew her passport and it was rejected.  The safest way is using a UK debit or credit card.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HHTel said:

My daughter recently renewed her British passport.  Her Kbank debit card was no problem at Trendy.  As people have already pointed out, the payment is processed in the UK and not here.  I got a call a week or so later from the UK pointing out her Kbank card could not be processed.  The lady said that most Thai bank cards are 'red-flagged'.  I paid it over the phone using my UK debit card which they processed immediately.  Still waiting for my daughter to reimburse me!!! Cost of being a father!

My wife used her BE1st from Bangkok Bank about a year ago to renew her passport and it was rejected.  The safest way is using a UK debit or credit card.

The lady said that most Thai bank cards are 'red-flagged'.

whaaaat? its difficult enough the procedure, travelling time, making appointments etc

they compound it by making it hard to pay for it

ive written to the uk pport office and if their reply isnt satisfactory i will demand

they produce a list of redflagged cards and acceptable cards

i dont know a single british citizen i can ask for them to use their card in thailand