Poll: Does Phuket need more virgin beaches?

webfact

Poll: Does Phuket need more virgin beaches?

The Phuket News

1477997628_1-org.jpg

Sun loungers on Karon Beach. In their heyday, sun loungers were available on nearly every beach in Phuket. Photo: Brunner Hans Rudolf / Flickr

PHUKET: -- The new governor of Phuket, Chockchai Dejamornthan, last month stated that he plans to remove all “10 per cent zones” from Phuket’s beaches, thus leaving all sands along Phuket’s coast as “virgin beaches”.

The hotly debated “10% zones” are last bastions where vendors may work on beaches in Phuket, and were introduced by Phuket’s previous Governor, Chamroen Tipayapongtada.

However, the “beach rules” in Phuket specifically apply only in Phuket.

The 10% rule does not apply anywhere else in Thailand, not even in Khao Lak, just one hour’s drive north of Phuket, or even on Phi Phi or elsewhere in across the bay in Krabi.

Gov Chockchai last month noted,, “I have thought a lot about what to do about this, as there are actually no laws which allows 10 per cent zones on beaches.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/poll-does-phuket-need-more-virgin-beaches-59682.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-11-02

As a expat retiree and beach goer, early 60's of age.  I'm appalled that you've wiped out all beach lounge chairs on Phuket just because the greed of a few i.e.: owners of the beach chair concessions.  I must admit it was out of control but it wouldn't have take a great deal of thought to remedy the problem instead of the knee jerk reaction and banning them totally.  I used to go to the beach during high season and happily pay the 100 baht for a comfortable chair for however long i wanted to stay for that day.  Now i go down there for a swim, stand around, go for another swim and then return home.  Before i would spend 100 baht for comfy chair + bottles of water, maybe some fruit.... now i spend zero and i'm not very happy!!  How many other elderly people has this effected?  Not only the local expats but think of the number of elderly people who have been coming here for years to enjoy the sun and beach and now have decided to go to other countries or places within Thailand that still have beach chairs available.. i just DON'T GET IT!!  You want to make all beaches pure and virgin... go ahead... see how many more people decide to go elsewhere.

28 minutes ago, pattayadgw said:

I used to go to the beach during high season and happily pay the 100 baht for a comfortable chair for however long i wanted to stay for that day.

using a comfortable beach towel is your solution

1.jpg

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Keep all commercial interests off all beaches.

Time and time again it's been proven that if you give anyone an inch in this country they will take a mile.

Yup, very true.

Make all beaches "virgin" beaches.

If a few tourists are put off by that, great! It's not like we have a shortage of tourists here.

Edited by KarenBravo

2 hours ago, Aeiou7 said:

using a comfortable beach towel is your solution

1.jpg

Sorry mate - this is not an option for many people - myself included.  due to numerous back injuries sustained throughout my working life I am unable to sit as pictured on the beach.  I know I am not alone amongst the silver generation.

Also there is the lack of shade from the heavy duty beach umbrellas.

This also affects those with young children who do need some shelter from the sun.

Time was when if you had a hangover you could go for a swim and then flop on a sunlounger for a snooze.  This is no longer an option and many new and long-time tourists complain about it.

I feel desperately sorry for all those who have lost their livelihood due to this insane rule.

DON'T  TELL ME TO TAKE TAKE MY OWN LOUNGER, PARASOL ETC., TO THE BEACH AS i RIDE A PUSHBIKE AND IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO CARRY ALL THIS 'STUFF' ON MY BACK.

Bring back the loungers is what I say.

As a expat retiree and beach goer, early 60's of age.  I'm appalled that you've wiped out all beach lounge chairs on Phuket just because the greed of a few i.e.: owners of the beach chair concessions.  I must admit it was out of control but it wouldn't have take a great deal of thought to remedy the problem instead of the knee jerk reaction and banning them totally.  I used to go to the beach during high season and happily pay the 100 baht for a comfortable chair for however long i wanted to stay for that day.  Now i go down there for a swim, stand around, go for another swim and then return home.  Before i would spend 100 baht for comfy chair + bottles of water, maybe some fruit.... now i spend zero and i'm not very happy!!  How many other elderly people has this effected?  Not only the local expats but think of the number of elderly people who have been coming here for years to enjoy the sun and beach and now have decided to go to other countries or places within Thailand that still have beach chairs available.. i just DON'T GET IT!!  You want to make all beaches pure and virgin... go ahead... see how many more people decide to go elsewhere.

How did you survive on beaches in the West?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

The junta is on a drive to clean up thailand, they started in cities of importance, bangkok first and now phuket probably Pattaya next. The pristine beaches of Australia don't have deck chairs and everyone uses towels and some bring beach umbrellas

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, mcfish said:

How did you survive on beaches in the West?

I agree, I never saw loungers and brollies until I arrived in Phuket, and I have been to some of the most famous beaches around the world. Mind you was a lot of years ago, maybe now all gone the same way ?

4 hours ago, pattayadgw said:

What's wrong with using your towel as millions of beachgoers world wide do? :wai:

Edited by Si Thea01

1 hour ago, Si Thea01 said:

He did, where?  Obviously I am reading a different post to you.  :wai:

I quote ....

"Sorry mate - this is not an option for many people - myself included.  due to numerous back injuries sustained throughout my working life I am unable to sit as pictured on the beach.  I know I am not alone amongst the silver generation."

4 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

I quote ....

"Sorry mate - this is not an option for many people - myself included.  due to numerous back injuries sustained throughout my working life I am unable to sit as pictured on the beach.  I know I am not alone amongst the silver generation."

My error, didn't see the follow up post but I too have back injuries, also a knee replacement and fused ankle and am still capable of using a towel to lie down on the sand.  Given that he is capable of riding a pushbike, which I cannot owing to my injuries, then swims, stands around and swims some more before heading off home, again, I assume on his pushbike, then what is alleged doesn't appear to affect those other actions that he is capable of undertaking.  Maybe more behind this than meets the eye.

Many posters and the original journalist taking this story at face value.

When you understand that the real reason for these actions and policies is to wrest control of extremely valuable state or CPB land from the previous de facto possessors (powerful factions linked to local politicians) to the current administration (the military-run establishment), then it all makes perfect sense.

The real issues are nothing to do with whether beaches should be virgin or have loungers, it is about control of resources with values totalling billions of baht.

If you want a Tourist based economy you must provide the services tourists want..  If not, you end up with empty virgin beaches and no tourists.  If that's what the Thai people want it's their country and their right to have them just as it's my right to go elsewhere.  

20 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Keep all commercial interests off all beaches.

Time and time again it's been proven that if you give anyone an inch in this country they will take a mile.

But yet the new Guv never even mentioned the jet ski and parasail thugs that effectively take up a large chunk of the beach.  Good thing he's got an out on that in saying " It's not my responsibility, it's Marine Park 5's responsibility".

If the stories are true about 1K per day per jet ski to be allowed on the beaches, I wonder if the para sail guys get a free pass under the jet ski payments?  What's the cut of the guv to be so blind as to not even mention jet skis and parasail "operators"?

I have a stuffed back, two hip replacements, two buggered knees, ankles that don't work and am in a wheelchair. I'm rarely able to get on a beach anymore, let alone get up and down on a towel.

Yet, I still believe the only way forward for Phuket is to get rid of all the thugs, scammers  and selfish manipulators from the beaches, it's not just about self.

Perhaps somewhere down the line, when all the crooks and their masters have disappeared,  it will be possible to properly manage the beaches here to cater for all.

1 hour ago, Artben said:

If you want a Tourist based economy you must provide the services tourists want..  If not, you end up with empty virgin beaches and no tourists.  If that's what the Thai people want it's their country and their right to have them just as it's my right to go elsewhere.  

I hardly believe the way it was was the the tourists wanted it,it was forced upon them.

There are other options but that will involve some compromise from all parties involved.