Where did the Russians go?

james1995

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are going to start a  topic please be good enough to use the correct term for our friends from the Eastern Bloc. Thank  you.

I have now edited the topic title

They've tapered off in the last few years due to political, economic, and exchange rate issues.

I wouldn't expect a huge wave of them this year compared to their peak some year's back but of course a number are still around.

From my POV, when any one national group dominates here (excepting Thais of course) that's not desirable. I'm enjoying the more diverse BALANCE of nationalities we're seeing now. 

51 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Just wait till December when the baht buses from jomtien to Pattaya are jam packed with them. I wish they would shower more, hotel water is free

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Even last year it was way down from previous year's peak, so I would say don't really expect it to be so much this year either. 

1 hour ago, mcfish said:

Just wait till December when the baht buses from jomtien to Pattaya are jam packed with them. I wish they would shower more, hotel water is free

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

No chance,    they love to smell like there at home.  :thumbsup:

As for the Russians, I have been told that they have started to return to Patts and to the other nasty place known as Phuket, where a gang of them had a violent fight with some taxi drivers last week. 

IMHO there are fewer farangs about generally. Friends of 20 years are leaving. There are now more condos asking for tenants in Asoke and Sukh for 14,000b instead of 20,000.

Eddy

10 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

Many Russian marine engineers in Canada that I've met were wonderful fellows. Maybe you are just meeting the wrong ones?

Fair point of course, there are good and bad in almost every race. I worked in a hotel where Russian aircrew stayed, the GM couldn't wait for the contracdt to expire.

I had an altercation at work with a Russian yesterday, another one with a bloody awful bedside manner. I don't suppose I will ever meet the wonderful one's you did.

A lot have probably gone back to Moscow to book some room in one of the fall-out shelters being constructed to house 12 million Muscovites or join 40 million compatriots currently performing civil defence exercises in preparation for an expected nuclear attack by the US and NATO.

We'd all better start praying that the American electorate gives warmonger Hillary the elbow.

On 11/2/2016 at 8:48 AM, Jingthing said:

They've tapered off in the last few years due to political, economic, and exchange rate issues.

I wouldn't expect a huge wave of them this year compared to their peak some year's back but of course a number are still around.

From my POV, when any one national group dominates here (excepting Thais of course) that's not desirable. I'm enjoying the more diverse BALANCE of nationalities we're seeing now. 

My issue is that they insist on all the shops and restaurants having all their signage in Russian and cyrillic  - but surely they can see that a restaurant is a restaurant  and a tailor a tailor.  Thai is the language of Thailand and English the Language of the world but if even if for political reasons they do not wish to speak English must they insist that the Thai  food in the restaurants they visit  be so tasteless and anodyne? In many restaurants around Wongamat and Cozy beach the spicy Thai soups now taste like irish stew or Borscht.  The restaurant owners do not even both to put out the the little set of four condiments and spices! Last year when I asked for  phrik pom (chile powder), phrik dong (chile slices in vinegar) -They had none and gave me some kind of international, generic american tabasco or some such crap. Now I won't go in any Thai restaurants with Russian signage or menu. Some of the places round cozy beach have no English translations at all and have employed girls from Cambodia who speak Russian but not Thai or English.  I find the Russians with their unsmiling grim visages, small wallets and tasteless clothes a depressing bunch. Really depressing.

11 minutes ago, The manic said:

My issue is that they insist on all the shops and restaurants having all their signage in Russian and cyrillic  - but surely they can see that a restaurant is a restaurant  and a tailor a tailor.  Thai is the language of Thailand and English the Language of the world but if even if for political reasons they do not wish to speak English must they insist that the Thai  food in the restaurants they visit  be so tasteless and anodyne? In many restaurants around Wongamat and Cozy beach the spicy Thai soups now taste like irish stew or Borscht.  The restaurant owners do not even both to put out the the little set of four condiments and spices! Last year when I asked for  phrik pom (chile powder), phrik dong (chile slices in vinegar) -They had none and gave me some kind of international, generic american tabasco or some such crap. Now I won't go in any Thai restaurants with Russian signage or menu. Some of the places round cozy beach have no English translations at all and have employed girls from Cambodia who speak Russian but not Thai or English.  I find the Russians with their unsmiling grim visages, small wallets and tasteless clothes a depressing bunch. Really depressing.

I find the Russians with their unsmiling grim visages, small wallets and tasteless clothes a depressing bunch. Really depressing.

Amen to that.