Car Jumps Red Light, Kills One and Injures Three in Chiang Mai

webfact

Car Jumps Red Light, Kills One and Injures Three

car-crash.jpg

CityNews – A car that ran a red light at the Susco Gas Station junction near Suan Dok Park, Suthep Road, crashed into a car and a motorbike, killing one and injuring three others.

A black car with a Bangkok licence plate ran a red light at speed just after midnight last night. The car crashed into a motorbike seriously injuring the rider, a local university student, who then later died in hospital. His female passenger was also injured.

The car also hit another car carrying two passengers who were also injured. The black car that ran the red light had three passengers who were also injured in the collision.

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/car-jumps-red-light-kills-one-and-injures-three/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2016-11-03

3 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

Well if the "red-light-jumper" is a HiSo, then nothing to worry about. Plead "insanity", make merit, become a temporary monk, and he's "home and dry". 

Given that the car model, license plate and driver name aren't in the press, I'd say that's a safe bet.

As an aside, when do you think Thais will begin to realize the awkwardness of complaining about tourist drivers from China, when home grown prime Bangkok specimens routinely pull intentional acts of mass destruction on the country's roads?

"Police told CityNews that the three passangers in the black Bangkok car were involved in a fight as they left a pub in the Nimmanhaemin area, resulting in one of the three being hit around the head with a bottle."

this interesting detail from the chiangmaicitylife source ...

5 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

Well if the "red-light-jumper" is a HiSo, then nothing to worry about. Plead "insanity", make merit, become a temporary monk, and he's "home and dry". 

The law doesn't work like that, but rather he feels so guilty that he pays a generous amount of compensation to the victims' families, he wai's them and apologies profusely. The victims' families accept his apology and make such a statement to the court. He is charged and convicted with vehicular manslaughter but because of this statement and his generous amount of "apologising", he receives the minimum sentence of a few hours of community service (3 years suspended with a few hours of community service if he's been drinking, maybe a couple of weeks of house arrest) but because he's rich he'll get the maximum financial penalty of 20,000 baht.

This system is available to everybody - it even exists in most western countries except that the minimum sentence for vehicular manslaughter is usually higher. It's just that either the poor don't have a good enough lawyer to advise them on this, or they value their own money more than the lives of their victims or they're so poor that prison isn't really a bad option for them.

Chiang Mai drivers are shocking for ignoring red lights at pedestrian crossings  even in broad daylight in the middle of the day.

I can think of   2 places immediately  where cars simply sail through red lights and you have to physically wait to see cars in all lanes have actually stopped before crossing.

One is at Chang Pheuk gate outside the 711 shop and another is further down Chang Pheuk road outside the Mercure hotel.

How does a car jump a red light

It cant   ( If it could, please enter it in the next Olympics, high or long jump )

The retard driver is to blame

Please report what happened not the drivers fairy tale  :whistling:

If you want fairy tales read Brothers Grim

56 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

Chiang Mai drivers are shocking for ignoring red lights at pedestrian crossings  even in broad daylight in the middle of the day.

I can think of   2 places immediately  where cars simply sail through red lights and you have to physically wait to see cars in all lanes have actually stopped before crossing.

One is at Chang Pheuk gate outside the 711 shop and another is further down Chang Pheuk road outside the Mercure hotel.

I think you better say all junctions the cars drive long after the light turns red.

Even if i approach a junction and have a green light i still slow down and look to my left , right,  under and above.

1 hour ago, monkey4u said:

How does a car jump a red light

It cant   ( If it could, please enter it in the next Olympics, high or long jump )

The retard driver is to blame

Please report what happened not the drivers fairy tale  :whistling:

If you want fairy tales read Brothers Grim

You apparently don't understand English!

12 minutes ago, true blue said:

Thought it was the only place to close bars at midnight??????

Don't know, I do not use bars or live in CNX. Only saying that drivers here in Thailand run red lights all the time, not just in Chaing Mai.

On a positive note, this week somebody I know got a fine for jumping a red light (with clear camera shots of the infraction provided).

This is the very very first time I hear about it in all my years in TH.

Not all hope is lost.

8 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

HiSo 101. He must be a HiSo only they would be so arrogant to drive like a mad man.  I wonder if he refused a breath test? Days pass fast get a good lawyer do the merit trip offer the dead and injured a token baht gesture spread some dough around take a holiday and soon it will be a pin point problem in the future. The future is a great thing until you reach the ripe old age of 78 like me. Then it becomes a guessing game like the election in the states. I hope I make it till Tuesday should be a firecracker day and I was there. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. 

Edited by elgordo38

lots of stuff about red lights and bar hours.... for myself, I think hitting a motorcycle with people on it involves quite a lot more than..... running a red light.  it's misdirection.  no excuses.   driving a car after being involved in a fight?  if that's true alone... even totally sober... that's a red light.   but.... we know "where" this happened and..... most of us see it everyday, sometimes many many times a day.  

Edited by maewang99

I went to a funeral today 25 kilometers from Sisaket. Was in a convoy of three. Entering the the Ampuer close to our destination , the lead car went through a green and turned red asap. Lead car was the only one with GPS. I stopped at the red and seconds later the light flashed yellow three times. ( that means CAUTION PROCEED ) I looked both ways  ( clear ) proceeded and a copper jumped out and I explained I was following a lead car ( we and the trail had no GPS ) lead car from UBON consistently did not pay attention to trail vehicles and I stopped at red light until yellow ( flashing three times ) then went through the light . Copper ( jumped out in front , pulled me over and insisted that I ran a red light. Trail saw the whole thing. I stopped at red and proceeded on flashing yellow. Got a ticket for jumping red light. When at the funeral all said he had a remote ( was a con ) . 400 baht to me ( 200 for police 200 ) for officer. Just a set up. Paid 500 baht to the funeral family to pay my ticket because I had to pay it local. It is all corruption. Just BS. Oh well!!! Thats Thailand. Not only here but some corrupt BS in the states. Humph.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, Mitker said:

On a positive note, this week somebody I know got a fine for jumping a red light (with clear camera shots of the infraction provided).

This is the very very first time I hear about it in all my years in TH.

Not all hope is lost.

Wow, with CCTV, got to be a first.

Don't hold your breath waiting for the next one though....

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

In Thailand stopping at a red light is regarded as a suggestion rather than a requirement.

It seems for many In Thailand that stopping at a red light is the sign of a coward. Especially if the driver has drunk male passengers. The tiny brain can feel loss of face for such cowardice.

Until the police actually start enforcing the law, occurrences like this will never diminish.

I've yet to see any law enforcement of road rules apart from their 'checkpoints' to gather funds from tourists without motorcy licence.

Fines for any infringement are a joke.... perhaps why they keep occurring.