British pounds. Transfer now or wait?

Hutch68

Hi, I usually transfer some British pounds at the beginning of each year, Jan, feb enough to help see us through the year. Would it be best to transfer now or maybe wait till later next year? I could probably get through till march on what I already have.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Change your Baht now. Things are only going to get worse as the ramifications of Brexit become manifest.

Don't change yet, sterling is on the up and up as the world realises that Britain is not only open for business, but, one of the most capitalist friendly countries in Europe (geographically).

Hope that helps,

Yours Truly,

Boris.

Might be worth hanging on seeing as the High Court's forcing the British government to put the triggering of Article 50 to a parliamentary vote.

Don't think it will necessarily put Brexit on the backburner but the markets could give sterling a breather.

Downing Street is appealing the High Court ruling in December and Theresa May says she wants to trigger Article 50 by the end of March 2017, so these will be two key dates for the value of the £ to rise or fall in my opinion. See more info on BBC website - http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32810887

It's going to be a very long and drawn out process whatever happens.

Change your Baht now. Things are only going to get worse as the ramifications of Brexit become manifest.

Don't change yet, sterling is on the up and up as the world realises that Britain is not only open for business, but, one of the most capitalist friendly countries in Europe (geographically).

Hope that helps,
Yours Truly,
Boris.

Eee bye eck, what a to do.
Is there any hope Boris?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Another option could be to open a GBP account here.

Halifax charge a flat fee of  £9.50 for any amount.

Bangkok Bank charges you a fiver.

You only get a bank book and can withdraw in Baht at whatever the rate is on that day.

I know that the bank of Audhaya have a cash card option so you can withdraw from the cash machine.

Hope this helps.

Norman 

Transferring in British pounds sounds a very good idea and you should  get a much better rate of exchange.Otherwise just transfer in tranches which hopefully will spread the risk.Dont use a uk bank to transfer the money without comparing their rates with other options

52 minutes ago, NormanW said:

You only get a bank book and can withdraw in Baht at whatever the rate is on that day.

I know that the bank of Audhaya have a cash card option so you can withdraw from the cash machine.

Hope this helps.

Norman 

When I looked at opening a foreign currency account the charges were so high there seemed to be little benefit in having the account (Krungsi bank)

At any information Hard Brexit the pound fall.
At any information soft / Brexit the pound rises.

Currently it seat up on the bet that May will be barred from bringing the total rupture with the EU.

But she announces that she will commit this break in any case.

Finally, no one can say with certainty that she really wants this total exit. Its sometimes contradictory statements may be purely tactical.

Consequently I have only transfer a third of what I wanted, waiting without haste better fortune.

20 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Yesterdays answer was, nobody knows. Today's answer is change it fast and take advantage of the uptick.

Pity it did not happen at the beginning of the month and save a large chunk being chopped off my pension!

1 hour ago, NormanW said:

Hope this helps.

Norman 

Hello Everyone.

Many of you may be aware already but we all know that Western Union is a fast method for transferring funds but can be very expensive what with  fees and exchange rates, if collected in cash.

However they have an online service but only up to a maximum  £4000.00 and the fee is just £2.90 and surprisingly as long as you are sending £501+ then the rate they give you is comparable with the yellow TT exchange booths here in Pattaya.

Note the funds have to be drawn using a UK debit card and paid into a Thai Bank here. 

You will get a summary page showing rate, fees and total before you click send.

I have used this service  quite a few times and the amount they quote is what is paid into your Thai bank.

I hope this may be helpful to some.

To be more flexible while keeping your liquidity going I suggest you open a Foreign Currency Deposit Account, i.e. an account in UKP, EUR, USD or CHF. Not all banks offer this but bigger branches do. 

This will allow you to transfer UKP as UKP onto an UKP-account here in Thailand. If you have a telbanking programme installed, then you can sell/transfer (during banking hours though only) UKP realtime into THB and puts you in control of what exchange rate you decide on. 

I have all this running with Bangkok Bank; took a moment to install but works perfectly ever since. I bring in foreign transfers and change it into Baht whenever I want at the exchange rate I agree (and not the bank). 

1 hour ago, geejay said:

Hello Everyone.

Many of you may be aware already but we all know that Western Union is a fast method for transferring funds but can be very expensive what with  fees and exchange rates, if collected in cash.

However they have an online service but only up to a maximum  £4000.00 and the fee is just £2.90 and surprisingly as long as you are sending £501+ then the rate they give you is comparable with the yellow TT exchange booths here in Pattaya.

Note the funds have to be drawn using a UK debit card and paid into a Thai Bank here. 

You will get a summary page showing rate, fees and total before you click send.

I have used this service  quite a few times and the amount they quote is what is paid into your Thai bank.

I hope this may be helpful to some.

You are correct geejay, but, if you ahve not used western union before, you can only transfer £800:00 the first time. You than have to confirm your ID to gain the £4000 transfer. However, £4000 can be transferred every three days ofter the ID confirmation is complete. But as you say it must transfer to a Thai bank, if you want to collect cash the fee is £30

On 03/11/2016 at 7:27 PM, Kwasaki said:

Your'll be waiting a long time 43 today go for it

Goldman Sachs and others reckon that the £ is overvalued and likely to fall another 10%. Just changed today and obtained 43.1. That said if the Trump team win next weeks hopefully the US$ will take a tumble.

Just remember the rate you get all depend on the strength of the pound the strength of the American dollar and the strength of the Thai Bart.  Watch these three closely and transfer of the most favourable time hahaha

It's all a gamble so do it whenever is convenient