Shocking footage from Thailand shows lorry crossing double lines on bend in the wet to overtake as cars approach

webfact

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? That's just your normal rural traffic situation in Thailand....Just prepare for everything when you drive....

An anecdote: I once bought a big rod map with all the Thai road signs on it and put it up in on the wall of my office. maybe 90% of my Thai coworkers could not explain what even one of the signs meant.

Edited by AlQaholic

One post has been removed.   Please do not use the thread as a vehicle to bash Thailand.  The accident speaks for itself in the country, but select your words with a modicum of care.  

Thanks.  

14 minutes ago, ezflip said:

I asked a dozen different Thai drivers (friends of the family) what the difference was with all the yellow separation lines painted on the roads and none of them knew apart from indicating which side was which. Lack of driving school is my guess... Learning from an uncle, father, brother, a relative, etc. only teaches them how to operate a vehicle but only a little bit about regulations.

As these double lines are in dangerous areas common sense alone tells you not to go.I say,"mai hen,mai bai."The ol CS is sadly lacking in some might is right truck drivers and mini van drivers.

1 hour ago, catman20 said:

catch the driver ban him for a few years.

No chance ,they wouldn't even breathalize the one who rammed into the back of me 2 weeks ago ,obviously drunk and keep smoking to try hide the smell ,smoked about one pack in the 1 1/2 it took for insurance to work out a scam

2 minutes ago, MorristheRunt said:

Just a normal day on the roads of Thailand!

The reaction of the pick up driver in sums up part of the problem....acceptance of dangerous , idiotic driving....they never even hit the horn!

I wouldn't hit the horn in that situation either. No point, it's not going to change anything.

I would be doing what that driver did, looking for a way out. Couldn't go bush because of the crash railing so all he could do is park up against it and try to look small!

Those people who regularly drive in Thailand know that this is a common thing when there is oncoming traffic many drivers overtake recklessly. There is nothing shocking here. It is a daily occurrence. At least it is good that people try to voice out this problem. To stay more or less safe on Thai roads you must always drive defensively.

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

This type of mentality comes from the top, no education, no enforcement, has desensitized the driving popular that this type of behavior is normal and excepted.  They gravitate from motorbike to vehicles taking the same attitude not knowing a vehicle is a weapon.  Government is the problem!

Not disagreeing with you - but is it really the governments job to teach common sense, humility, respect to other human beings ?

Surely if your actions will end in the possible death of someone then you should check yourself.

No surprise at all to road users I am sure. I have lost track of the amount of times I have had to take evasive action while traveling up country due to trucks, buses, pickups and the likes crossing onto my side of the road to overtake and just flashing their lights at me as if I am in the wrong and to get out of the way. I now never travel on major holidays as its far to dangerous because of this type of driving mentality.   

3 hours ago, The man from udon said:

I tried to tell the wife what these yellow lines were for and what intermittent lines were for.she replied oh I thought it was to save paint.thank god she can't drive or ride else I would be a widow very quickly.

Tell the wife what these yellow lines were for and what intermittent lines were for.she replied oh I thought it was to save paint.thank god she can't drive or ride

You have answered your own question, if she doesn't ride a bike or drive a car what need has she to know what the lines mean, Some years ago i had a friend in Leeds UK who did not drive and i gave him a lift home from another city with him directing me, came to a one way street(against my direction of travel) and was told to go down it, when i said i couldn't i was asked why not i walk down here every day

I have a collection of clips like this from my helmet cam. I encounter similar several times a day when riding on long trips. This is such standard behaviour, questioning the driver as to why will only produce confusion. Those who drive like that honestly believe that they only did what was normal and justify it by the resulting lack of accident.

He should be fined and have his license taken away. Complete idiot. We all see  bad driving every day in Thailand. I've been run off the road deliberately on my big bike twice, all down to jelousy. Education, better policing and bigger penalties required. 

3 hours ago, The man from udon said:

I tried to tell the wife what these yellow lines were for and what intermittent lines were for.she replied oh I thought it was to save paint.thank god she can't drive or ride else I would be a widow very quickly.

save paint ! 

my wife is the worst driver I know. but she is the timid kind behind the wheel and has never overtaken a car in her life. probably never exceeded 90 kmh in her life. obviously I do all the driving or she is riding with another. probably better for the roads. I wonder ... she cant be the only one just incapable of operating a motor vehicle. 

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

There's a different video of the dangerous drivers of Thailand uploaded daily to the internet as the car camera becomes more popular. The Mirror also reported this one a few days ago http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/951546-horrifying-fatal-crash-caught-on-camera-after-minivan-is-knocked-off-road-in-thailand/

Thaivisa could make a sub forum for all the videos.

To be fair, it's not always the rider/drivers fault. The roads themselves can be a death trap. Wonder if this recent video will be next on the Mirror website?

Really am surprised that we are remotely shocked at anything that happens on the Roads of Thailand?? Allegedly there are approximately 80 Deaths on Thai Roads DAILY making it the 2nd worse Country Internationally for Traffic Fatalities. Just need to take extreme caution when youre driving!

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Where's the chief of police commenting on this? Why's he not threatening Thai people  about the laws against dangerous driving? 

who do you thinks driving the truck:shock1: