Brexit hits speed bump as court rules lawmakers must get say

webfact

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you might be able to buy them back at a nice discount soon   ; )

Cash heavy, asset light at the moment. Always a silver lining? That said, sad to see the US become a bit of a laughing stock arround the world. Gullible or what? Looking foreward to be tired of winning. (Charlie Sheen?)

It depends on which side of the market you are on. Those who were complaining about the baht to the Pound might be doing a gig by the end of the week.

I am British so Baht/Pound is a concern. A lot of people think the Baht is pegged to the US dollar, not true. Just because the Dollar drops against the Pound does not automatically mean the Baht will. Made money from Brexit, lost money on exchange rate. Sticking a finger up at the establishment is fun. Historically it generally ends in tears.

15 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

I am British so Baht/Pound is a concern. A lot of people think the Baht is pegged to the US dollar, not true. Just because the Dollar drops against the Pound does not automatically mean the Baht will. Made money from Brexit, lost money on exchange rate. Sticking a finger up at the establishment is fun. Historically it generally ends in tears.

I know it is not pegged with the dollar but if (looks very likely already) it crashes or becomes weak other currencies become strong, including the baht.

I know it is not pegged with the dollar but if (looks very likely already) it crashes or becomes weak other currencies become strong, including the baht.

So what is your prediction for the Brexit outcome with a Trump victory. Will it help or hinder a "deal"? Seems the West is navigating into uncharted territory.

6 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

So what is your prediction for the Brexit outcome with a Trump victory. Will it help or hinder a "deal"? Seems the West is navigating into uncharted territory.

Well first Trump has said the UK will be at the front of the trade deal with the USA not the back like with Obama/Clinton. That can't be a bad thing. What this could do is start a cultural right wing revolution across Europe, basically ending the EU as it is. People have had enough of mass immigration and having their cultural identities eroded. They are fed up of been accused of being racist or xenophobic when you don't want other cultures and religions overtaking your town or city.

A Trump victory can only help Brexit in my opinion as what Trump has been saying in his speeches is about national identity coming first. I will admit though, that the way Trump say these things, are not as eloquently put as Nigel Farage but maybe now, there will be a great partnership. Anyway I am off to celebrate.

11 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

Trump promised UK first in line for trade deal, possibly end of TIPP,TPP

Well first Trump has said the UK will be at the front of the trade deal with the USA not the back like with Obama/Clinton. That can't be a bad thing. What this could do is start a cultural right wing revolution across Europe, basically ending the EU as it is. People have had enough of mass immigration and having their cultural identities eroded. They are fed up of been accused of being racist or xenophobic when you don't want other cultures and religions overtaking your town or city.
A Trump victory can only help Brexit in my opinion as what Trump has been saying in his speeches is about national identity coming first. I will admit though, that the way Trump say these things, are not as eloquently put as Nigel Farage but maybe now, there will be a great partnership. Anyway I am off to celebrate.

I have to like you. Trump said we will be at the front for a deal. He only talks the truth. Picked myself off the floor.

You did ask for my opinion. Stay positive.:welcomeani:

Agree. Brexit? Against. Vote was in favour. I accept. Turns out they had no real plan. Courts rule for a parliamentary decision, will still go ahead. Again no plan. Trump. Lots of talk but no plan. Trump wins? I accept. All good fun?

Back on topic, I admit that I can't be bothered to read through the trial transcripts (or whatever) to discover whether the court was correct in saying that invoking Article 50 requires parliamentary approval - despite a referendum in which the electorate were told that the government would abide by their decision.

I've lost track.  Has May said what is going to happen as a result of this court decision?

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Back on topic, I admit that I can't be bothered to read through the trial transcripts (or whatever) to discover whether the court was correct in saying that invoking Article 50 requires parliamentary approval - despite a referendum in which the electorate were told that the government would abide by their decision.

I've lost track.  Has May said what is going to happen as a result of this court decision?

Last I heard she was in India.  I think there's going to be a quiet spell now while TM and her troops get their ideas straight.  The crowds will continue baying, but nothing much will happen unless the courts get involved again.

Incidentally, I still (vaguely) remember the original referendum about whether or not to join the Common Market.  I've no idea why, as I was too young to vote and wasn't interested in politics!

The main thing I remember is prices increasing shortly thereafter - or perhaps I'm confusing it with the earlier decimalisation of the pound :lol:!

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Incidentally, I still (vaguely) remember the original referendum about whether or not to join the Common Market.  I've no idea why, as I was too young to vote and wasn't interested in politics!

The main thing I remember is prices increasing shortly thereafter - or perhaps I'm confusing it with the earlier decimalisation of the pound :lol:!

yep!  UK was royally screwed by Wilson and his cronies --  almost as much as by Brown...  ; )

Edited by jpinx

Just now, jpinx said:

Last I heard she was in India.  I think there's going to be a quiet spell now while TM and her troops get their ideas straight.  The crowds will continue baying, but nothing much will happen unless the courts get involved again.

Its a shame as surely the best thing to do would be to call an immediate parliamentary vote in view of the court decision?

I believe it is a point of law, parliament has to approve "the will of the public". Brexit will go ahead, there is no going back. The lady who bought up the case only wanted proceedings done legally. Why are people are upset about the law?

Just now, alanrchase said:

I believe it is a point of law, parliament has to approve "the will of the public". Brexit will go ahead, there is no going back. The lady who bought up the case only wanted proceedings done legally. Why are people are upset about the law?

I don't think its a case of being upset by the law on the subject.

Some are upset that the electorate was told that the government would accept the referendum result - only for the court to over-turn this promise.

The woman who brought the court case did so for her own reasons....  Why on earth would someone spend so much money to negate the referendum result otherwise?

Some are upset that the electorate was told that the government would accept the referendum result - only for the court to over-turn this promise.

The woman who brought the court case did so for her own reasons....  Why on earth would someone spend so much money to negate the referendum result otherwise?

For the government to accept the result it requires a vote by MP'S. As I said it is a point of law. The referendum vote will stand. The lady who bought the case did so to ensure parliamentary procedure was followed.

1 hour ago, alanrchase said:

I have to like you. Trump said we will be at the front for a deal. He only talks the truth. Picked myself off the floor.

Hot off the Press.

Mr Trump's trade adviser has previously said the UK is a "friend" of America and will be front of the queue for an arrangement with the world's largest economy,

Dan DiMicco said Britain would be a higher priority for a deal than the European Union (EU). 

Last year Britain imported more than £32billion of US goods, while the UK exported £38bn of goods to America, according to HM Revenue and Customs data. 

When recently asked if the US would do a deal with Britain ahead of the EU split, Mr DiMicco said: "Absolutely."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/730328/donald-trump-usa-president-brexit-trade-deal-britain

22 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

7 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

For the government to accept the result it requires a vote by MP'S. As I said it is a point of law. The referendum vote will stand. The lady who bought the case did so to ensure parliamentary procedure was followed.

OK :lol::rolleyes:

Hot off the Press.

Mr Trump's trade adviser has previously said the UK is a "friend" of America and will be front of the queue for an arrangement with the world's largest economy,
Dan DiMicco said Britain would be a higher priority for a deal than the European Union (EU). 
Last year Britain imported more than £32billion of US goods, while the UK exported £38bn of goods to America, according to HM Revenue and Customs data. 
When recently asked if the US would do a deal with Britain ahead of the EU split, Mr DiMicco said: "Absolutely."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/730328/donald-trump-usa-president-brexit-trade-deal-britain

Well, Donald said so. Must be true.

43 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

There was no initial referendum to join, the referendum you recall in 1975 was to continue or not , The UK joined the EU in 1972 

Gina Miller was the lead claimant , other persons and groups ,some crowdfunded were involved .

The HC case was about who is responsible to trigger Art 50 ,Executive or Parliament, not about the merit of the ref. result

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Yeh! Bring on nationalism! Scrap the trade deals. America first! Great stuff, not had a decent war in ages! Jesus...

I just knew you would be pro Trump. ?

Trump's winning strategy was to say he would bring back jobs to the USA. Not sure how this fits with making UK imports into USA cheaper? More likely, he will want any American companies in U.K. to bring the jobs back to the USA. Financial services springs to mind

But, on the bright side, good job we kept our nuclear deterrent because I'm unsure if NATO will survive....

Inter-personal squabbles in here aside --

Trump has made it very clear that UK is first on his list of trading partners in the NE Atlantic area.  That will boost the PM's leverage with Mr Tusk when the "hard talking" starts.  Now that Brexit is being defocussed and the chatter is all about the US, it seems that Brexit is accepted as an inevitability and people are more relaxed about discussing how they will deal with it and what they need in the exit deal.