Thai driving licence exam

Anahech

I went to the driving center to get a Thai driving licence. Having an international one, I had seen on their website that we only had a few "physical" tests to get the local licence (sight, coordination, reaction speed etc).

Surprisingly, all farangs had also to undertake the 50 questions e-exam test that Thai people have to undertake ... We were all very surprised (not a good surprise when unprepared, of course !). Is it a new rule ? Have you had the same experience ?

Where did this happen?

So far the first such report that I can remember.

It is clearly against the known rules.

And also the theory test would always be followed by the practical/driving test.

Edited by KhunBENQ

8 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

And also the theory test would always be followed by the practical/driving test.

Correction:

there is the case of extending a Thai driving license which has expired between one and three years where the theory test is required without the driving test (does not apply to what the OP describes).

In May 2016 I got my drivers license in Bangkok and only did the physical tests which were simple. I had a current USA drivers license so they said I did not need to do any driving tests or written tests. There were probably hundreds of expats getting their license that day and no one did written tests in my group.  

The only issue was they would not allow you to get your drivers license if you wore shorts above the knees. They want you to wear long pants as a sign of respect. 

Nov 1 Khon Kaen   Showed my Mexican license and IDP [bought off an internet site], copy of passport/visa and I think my yellow book. This was at 11:30. I was told to come back at 1pm as not enough time to do the data entry - returned at 1:30. Everything was ready  save for taking the color blind test and having my foto taken.  305 baht total for 2 year temporary license.

54 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

In May 2016 I got my drivers license in Bangkok and only did the physical tests which were simple. I had a current USA drivers license so they said I did not need to do any driving tests or written tests. There were probably hundreds of expats getting their license that day and no one did written tests in my group.  

The only issue was they would not allow you to get your drivers license if you wore shorts above the knees. They want you to wear long pants as a sign of respect. 

Where did you go for your driving licence in Bangkok (adres) ?  What papers/copies  did they ask you ?  I think that you need to show more than your drivers licence.

2 hours ago, Wake Up said:

"you wore shorts above the knees". Quite right as well, that is just being disrespectful.

30 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"you wore shorts above the knees". Quite right as well, that is just being disrespectful.

One could just wear the shorts low-hung gansta-style to get them below the knees and apparently show the proper respect...

Image result for gangsta shorts low

the full test I have seen happen to a man who I met at the drivers license office in 2009. his drivers licence was expired longer than 1 year.

have heard more cases that have the same tests too.

this is not new at all.

I got my first Thai driving licence 13 years ago. I was the holder of a European licence but I still had to do the theory test on the computer, I was not surprised at this, after all, I was applying for a licence to drive in Thailand so why should've I be tested on the Thai rules of the road. 

4 hours ago, Wake Up said:

Shorts below the knees look a helluva lot worse.

I have a international driver license and a Canadian class one commercial vehicle like 18 wheelers or plus license  plus a motobike license like street bike.

I will try to get my Thai license in Buriram and will see what happen .

You should not need to take the theory test if you transfer an existing licence to Thai, just the eye and reaction test. However, there was some info on a similar thread that they no longer accept English licenses unless the copy is notarized by your embassy or consulate, including the IDP which is always in English. Perhaps some misunderstanding at the counter, maybe they tried telling you with the papers you provided you had to do the full test?

I had my German licence transfered this September, no test. But that was Chonburi, i.e. Pattaya. If in doubt, do that test. Some Russian guy has put up a website mimicking the actual test, here: http://thaidriving.info/

If you go through it two or three times you can pass that test, even if they have changed 2 or three questions. It's a doodle.

And actually: the test is always 305 Baht, regardless of whether you do the full test or a transfer, and the licence is always the same. So instead of having your old licence notarized for 1500 Baht or something, how about you just show them how we reverse-park a car in Europe?

I have heard and seen that with the international in hand other than the color and foot brake test nothing else was need to get a Thai Dl. I had no insider information and passed my me dl written yet after 2 tries. Went back for car dl and passed first time.  I have told everyone I know don't come here without the international dl as it makes things 1000% easier. This is the first time I have heard otherwise. My experience is with Phuket DTL only.

4 hours ago, mettech said:

I have a international driver license and a Canadian class one commercial vehicle like 18 wheelers or plus license  plus a motobike license like street bike.

The test for 18-wheelers here includes a successful overtake on a blind bend in the face of oncoming traffic. If you bottle out and touch the brakes you fail.

Thanks for your input. We are based in Samui.

A friend of us obtained the thai license a few months ago in Samui with the basic test only  (sight, color, reaction speed etc). So this is what we expected.

We came with a European license + an international license + all documents as required on the website.

We did the above mentioned tests on the morning, we were 6 farangs. Then they asked us to come back at 1pm.

We thought we would get the paper. instead, they asked all of us to go through the screen test - 50 questions to be answered within 1 hour, and to pass it you must get 45 answers right over 50 questions.

If you ask for motorcycle + car licence you have to do it twice. 

All the farangs were surprised and didn't understand why we had to do so. We asked very politely but had no other choice. 

My point is -  I don't mind doing the test (I failed 1 and passed 1 so we will try again next week!), but I would have liked to be informed and get a chance to prepare it properly ! 

Now I am also wondering if we will have to do the driving test. once again, I am able to drive, so fine. But I would appreciate having an idea of what is next :-) 

Surprising country !

14 hours ago, mettech said:

I have a international driver license and a Canadiseparate one commercial vehicle like  18 wheelers or plus license  plus a motobike license like street bike.

You would only get car licence,and have to ask for bike licence as they are 2 seperate Licences.with any luck you only need to do color test and reaction.

16 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

The test for 18-wheelers here includes a successful overtake on a blind bend in the face of oncoming traffic. If you bottle out and touch the brakes you fail.

Even with a btrain ah ah like driving in California.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2016 at 11:56 AM, Merron said:

Where did you go for your driving licence in Bangkok (adres) ?  What papers/copies  did they ask you ?  I think that you need to show more than your drivers licence.

I live Sukhumvit Soi  13 Wattana so I went to the drivers license office near Sukhumvit Soi  97. It is on the opposite side of Sukhumvit from Soi 62/1. From Sukhumvit Soi 97 or close thereto take a 10 baht motorcycle to the Drivers License office. Maybe 20 baht now but I had a Thai friend with me and they only charged 10 baht. 

If you google Bangkok drivers license offices  it will show you 5 or 6 drivers license locations and what office  you have to go depending on where you live. Take care. 

I am soon going to a tempt to get my Thai driving licence for a 650cc motorcycle. I have a full UK licence for both cars and motorcycles. However I am mildly red, green, brown, colourblind. For example when I try the "Ishihara" test, (the coloured dot test) I can not correctly see the numbers. But however when I look at the colours individually I can see red, green and brown clearly. For example I can clearly identify the respective traffic light colours....So, as I understand it you need a medical certificate from your local clinic or hospital which will include a colour blindness test. If so what is the test ?. Then also a further colour blindness test when you take the driving test. And this I am told is to identify coloured dots...So bearing in mind I can see red, green, yellow etc individually what are my chances on passing this test do you think ?..... 

You are not doing an Ishihara test. The girly in the land transport authority thingummy will rather point to a poster on the wall that looks like the page of the Ishihara with not hidden number in the dots, she will point at various random dots in rapid succession, like red, red, green, yellow, red and if that seems to work, that's it.

It's usually more or less binary in that you either can do it or you just can't. If you can do it slower, well, tell her and it should be ok.

5 hours ago, Saradoc1972 said:

You are not doing an Ishihara test. The girly in the land transport authority thingummy will rather point to a poster on the wall that looks like the page of the Ishihara with not hidden number in the dots, she will point at various random dots in rapid succession, like red, red, green, yellow, red and if that seems to work, that's it.

It's usually more or less binary in that you either can do it or you just can't. If you can do it slower, well, tell her and it should be ok.

Thanks for that Saradoc ,  I guess In that case it will just depend on how far away from this poster I am and how big the dots are....? Thanks....

On 11/5/2016 at 11:47 AM, khunbillmex said:

Nov 1 Khon Kaen   Showed my Mexican license and IDP [bought off an internet site], copy of passport/visa and I think my yellow book. This was at 11:30. I was told to come back at 1pm as not enough time to do the data entry - returned at 1:30. Everything was ready  save for taking the color blind test and having my foto taken.  305 baht total for 2 year temporary license.

Also at Khon Kaen in October 2016: Application. Passport/visa stuff including the TM-30. IDP (or in my case a copy of it I had as the original was lost}. Color blind test. Photo and payment. State issued photo driver's license - current. And some proof from the internet or from your state that the "Class" designation on your license (in my case NJ Class D) means operating an "automobile". Took all of thirty minutes.

23 minutes ago, Putmak said:

Thanks for that Saradoc ,  I guess In that case it will just depend on how far away from this poster I am and how big the dots are....? Thanks....

In Khon Kaen the color dots are actually pretty big. No squinting necessary.

3 minutes ago, avvocato said:

In Khon Kaen the color dots are actually pretty big. No squinting necessary.

....ok, so how big in diameter would you say ?...5mm, 10mm, 15mm......The reason I ask is because small coloured dots of about 5mm close together are a problem....10mm or bigger is ok. Really weird this colourblindness of mine....