Anyone think its so stupid that people put their A/C temp at 15-20 degrees and curl up in a thick blanket becuase they are freezing?

Sojuncoke

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also try to use the "dry" setting on your A/C because when you set your temperature to 25 and the A/C unit outside turns off, your fan still shoots out humid air which makes you hot. and sleep naked with a thin blanket. 

Edited by Sojuncoke

7 hours ago, Sojuncoke said:

also try to use the "dry" setting on your A/C because when you set your temperature to 25 and the A/C unit outside turns off, your fan still shoots out humid air which makes you hot. and sleep naked with a thin blanket. 

Do all air conditioners have a 'dry' setting?

Mine just has 3 variables -

1. The thermostat setting.

2. The strength of the fan.

3. Whether the baffles (?) turn or not.

Why do some people make the bed every morning when they're just going to rumple it up again that night?

Strangely, I'm not at all upset by what other people do with their lives, their time or their money when it doesn't affect me.  Maybe I just don't get it?

Maybe like in our case it's so the air (which my wife calls oxygen) you're breathing is cool or cold. If I set it for less than "ice cream" she puts on like a fish gulping on the surface for air. I've gotten over it and switched sides so she is closest to the arctic draft and pull the covers to my neck. I don't begrudge her wanting to be happy at night as year round all waking hours are spent without a/c and she handles it as best one can.

9 hours ago, Sojuncoke said:

Given the available components in a split unit A/C, what makes the air "Dry" on the "Dry" setting?

IF you set your air at 25, and the compressor outside shuts off when the set point is reached, where is the 'hot humid air' coming from? 

9 hours ago, Sojuncoke said:

why do people do this? 

Aircon at 20 in the bedroom, thick comfortable duvet, curl up because its comfortable. 

Aircon at 24 during the day in the living room, because its comfortable and removes the humidity of the air. 

Maybe because we can afford this luxury and you can't, and thats why you have this issue? 

My condo bedroom had a 14,000 BTU air con. It was too big for the room. When the compressor cycled on it would run only a few minutes. The room was cold and damp with the temperature set at 25 C. The old unit finally died. I had a serviceman check it out and they wanted 8,000 baht to replace the compressor. They recommended that I buy a new larger unit. The Thai serviceman seem to want to oversize the units. I even had mold or fungus growing on my wood desk. I sent him on his way and bought an LG 10,200 BTU unit. It is much better but if I had it to do over again, a 9,000 BTU would have done fine. The longer the compressor runs, the more moisture it removes.

9 minutes ago, Gary A said:

My condo bedroom had a 14,000 BTU air con. It was too big for the room. When the compressor cycled on it would run only a few minutes. The room was cold and damp with the temperature set at 25 C. The old unit finally died. I had a serviceman check it out and they wanted 8,000 baht to replace the compressor. They recommended that I buy a new larger unit. The Thai serviceman seem to want to oversize the units. I even had mold or fungus growing on my wood desk. I sent him on his way and bought an LG 10,200 BTU unit. It is much better but if I had it to do over again, a 9,000 BTU would have done fine. The longer the compressor runs, the more moisture it removes.

That's an excellent point.  Oversizing an A/C doesn't allow it to run enough to dehumidify the room.

I stayed in a high rent hotel in BKK for a month one time and my room was always cold and clammy.  They hadn't learned that lesson.

I wish my aircons went down to 15, the daikin only goes to 17 and the samsung only does 16 - where are these 15 ones?

the girl who is coming over later on asks for it to be set at 25 in the bedroom! whats the point in that? she will be shivering and previously crying under my thick duvet tonight... i told her many times that she can go and sleep in the living loom on the sofa if she wants with no air.  She is actually lucky as its 6oc in manchester as I type this.

4 hours ago, impulse said:

Why do some people make the bed every morning when they're just going to rumple it up again that night?

Strangely, I'm not at all upset by what other people do with their lives, their time or their money when it doesn't affect me.  Maybe I just don't get it?

You don't get that this using unnecessary energy.It effects all of us.

2 hours ago, Strange said:

Aircon at 20 in the bedroom, thick comfortable duvet, curl up because its comfortable. 

Aircon at 24 during the day in the living room, because its comfortable and removes the humidity of the air. 

Maybe because we can afford this luxury and you can't, and thats why you have this issue? 

It is not about affording it,it's about caring about your children's future.Obviosly you don't care.

Just now, louse1953 said:

You don't get that this using unnecessary energy.It effects all of us.

Flying to Thailand is even less necessary.  But we've all done it.  I'm not going to get upset about people who burn more jet fuel than I do, nor eat up more A/C electricity than me.  We're all guilty compared to the majority of the world's population.  

Come back all judgmental after you shut down your energy wasteful computer.  Oh, wait...

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Flying to Thailand is even less necessary.  But we've all done it.  I'm not going to get upset about people who burn more jet fuel than I do, nor eat up more A/C electricity than me.  We're all guilty compared to the majority of the world's population.  

Come back all judgmental after you shut down your energy wasteful computer.  Oh, wait...

You didn't read what i said.Some energy use is necessary,some is not.

5 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

And apparently you get to be the judge and jury on that? You are cherry-picking what YOU consider important. A good nites sleep is very necessary to me.

1 minute ago, james1995 said:

Yeah and wasting electricity.  That stuff is expensive here.  Room = 5,000 a month and wasting 3000+ a month on electric is a dumb idea.

Its dumb because rent is ridiculously cheap? Back home a 'room' would be 15,000 baht a month and electric would be 4000+. Don't get your point.

4 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Sure I did,  But I believe flying to Thailand and riding in the car instead of walking a mile to the 7/11 are just as unnecessary as running the A/C.  Or, just as necessary.

I'm not going to judge.

Your remarks remind me of the wealthy environmentalists who leave their 5,000 square foot 2nd home in Colorado to fly first class to Zurich to demonize the people causing global warming.  You ever read the small print on the airline ticket that tells you how many tons of CO2 you created on that flight?  Keeping the room cold enough to hang meat isn't nearly as bad.

BTW, I keep mine at 26 degrees and only one room at a time, and only when I'm home.

My computer room in the upcountry house runs off solar panels and a battery bank. I didn't do that to save the earth. I did it because the main grid power is on and off several times a week. Only on the hottest days do I use the inverter air conditioner in the computer room. It runs off the grid and seems quite efficient.

I have a new bedroom air con in the condo and can't remember the last time I used the main air con for the kitchen and living room. I have a TV and a computer in my bedroom and spend very little time in the living room. I don't believe in using electricity wastefully but neither do I want to be uncomfortable.

12 hours ago, Sojuncoke said:

why do people do this? 

For the same reason people fly to the other side of the world to lay in the sun all day or just walk around.

They even might buy a solarium for above their bed at home.

And the aircon won't be at 15-20 degree's, 22-25 sounds more reasonable. In a climate like that you'll get more dry air which is healthier, high humidity isn't healthy.

I run on 24C and use  thin sheet/blanket. I don't like the humidity and feeling sticky all night. Even in the cool season its quite humid. Lekky is dirt cheap and about 1/50 of my salary. I'm not gonna feel uncomfortable every night just to save a 1000 baht. 

3 hours ago, Strange said:

Or it could be that he just like to save money whenever possible.

Actually that is what many rich people do to become rich and stay that way.