Anyone think its so stupid that people put their A/C temp at 15-20 degrees and curl up in a thick blanket becuase they are freezing?

Sojuncoke

Oh and by the way, I don't understand it either why anyone should set the air-conditioning to a temperature where you need a blanket because you are freezing or wear a jacket and long pants at home...
Does anyone open the windows in winter because the central heating is set to 35° C ???

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, CLW said:

Isn't that "Inverter" technology working in that way?
I mean decreasing the power consumption when the desired temperature is reached instead of only the 100% on/off?

when you decrease the fan speed of a conventional unit the reduced power consumption is negligible (~20 Watts) because the main energy consuming compressor is still drawing full wattage.

yes, an inverter unit decreases RPMs of the compressor thereby reducing energy consumption but that does not increase dehumidification because less refrigerant is injected into the evaporator which increases surface temperature and reduces dehumidification. but most inverter units have also a specific "dry function" (low fan speed, high compressor speed).

12 hours ago, CLW said:

Oh and by the way, I don't understand it either why anyone should set the air-conditioning to a temperature where you need a blanket because you are freezing or wear a jacket and long pants at home...

some people like to eat smoked salmon covered with strawberry jam and dip the bites in prikh nam pla. to each his own :smile:

12 hours ago, CLW said:

Does anyone open the windows in winter because the central heating is set to 35° C ???

Well yes I used to set thermo at 22° and always had a window (small) open stops the dry heat and condensation build up

On 5-11-2016 at 0:48 PM, gk10002000 said:

Siiiigh.  I have to admit my aged mother does it down in Florida.  She will even go and put a sweater on during the day saying her arms are cold.  I tell her to just turn the air down but to no avail.

Having said that, I grew up in the North East USA with some cold winters.  And it did feel great to sleep in a cold room but a warm bed.  Once I moved to California and Florida and escaped winters, spent a dozen trips in Thailand, Jamaica, Bermuda, etc.  I am quite happy with palm trees and warm weather. 

Thanks for telling us mate! :sick:

5 hours ago, balo said:

I set the AC to 27 degrees at night. Just a perfect temp inside the bed room. No need to freeze.

as already mentioned... to each his own "perfect" temperature. i like to enter our bedroom when it's 18ºC (can't get it lower), switch off the aircons and shiver for a few minutes under a linen sheet before i sleep. then the bedroom warms up slowly just matching the temperature my body demands in order to feel comfortable.

Decades ago I had this apartment in Bangkok. The ac had pretty much one temp. Ice frigging cold. I used to hear my neighbor upstairs slip on his floor as the condensation from my ice chamber would turn his floor into a slippery mess.....