Anyone think its so stupid that people put their A/C temp at 15-20 degrees and curl up in a thick blanket becuase they are freezing?

Sojuncoke

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Siiiigh.  I have to admit my aged mother does it down in Florida.  She will even go and put a sweater on during the day saying her arms are cold.  I tell her to just turn the air down but to no avail.

Having said that, I grew up in the North East USA with some cold winters.  And it did feel great to sleep in a cold room but a warm bed.  Once I moved to California and Florida and escaped winters, spent a dozen trips in Thailand, Jamaica, Bermuda, etc.  I am quite happy with palm trees and warm weather. 

Not sure how many remember Pattaya about 20 - 25 years ago when black-outs were common place almost every night during the high season between 17:00 & 18:00? This was generally attributed to the mass migration of the tourists from their 'roasting' sessions on the beach or in the parks back to their hotel rooms where the aircons, almost as one, would be switched on and cranked down to their lowest settings.

Anyway, just a nostalgic walk down memory lane to show that aircons do use enough electricity to drop the grid when enough are used at the one time on already overloaded circuits ......:shock1:

Ironically, (I was informed by a reliable source) this was further compromised by the later unified turning on the showers and setting them to hot! A lot of strange folk about in those days.

14 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

I have always wondered why some people do it. It's so damn annoying. Never occurred to them that if they set the temperature a bit higher they won't need the blanket LMFAO 

it annoys you at what ambient temperature other people prefer to sleep? are you for real?

3 hours ago, louse1953 said:

You don't get that this using unnecessary energy.It effects all of us.

Cherry-Pick Much? 

It is not about affording it,it's about caring about your children's future.Obviosly you don't care.

So if I use my air conditioning, I don't care about my children future? How will using my aircon effect my childrens future? 

You didn't read what i said.Some energy use is necessary,some is not.

According to who? You? 

8 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I set the AC on high then sleep under a duvet...I can't sleep otherwise and sleeping is important...

too difficult to understand?

1 hour ago, Johnniey said:

I find it more comforting to have a blanket:passifier:

Seriously, it reminds me of my home country and I get a better sleep but usually around 24C.

I don't know anyone who sets their bedroom AC at 15-20C, but envy those who prefer this temp. at night and can afford to snuggle up under a duvet and pay the consequent elec. bill.  Snuggling under a duvet is just sooo comforting :smile:.

But the very few I know that have lived here (or elsewhere in Asia) for decades are used to the heat/humidity.  Some genuinely prefer a fan to AC unless its very hot (as we experienced earlier this year) and others are more comfortable with 27C aircon at night.

Having lived here a decade, I think its the humidity that 'gets' to me more than anything at night.  Regardless of whether I use AC or the lowest setting on a strong fan, the end result is that at various times during the night I'm either too hot or too cold!  The light 'blanket' goes up and down like a yo-yo :lol:.

7 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

But the very few I know that have lived here (or elsewhere in Asia) for decades are used to the heat/humidity.  Some genuinely prefer a fan to AC unless its very hot (as we experienced earlier this year) and others are more comfortable with 27C aircon at night.

Some expats are from areas of the world with similar climates to Thailand. Im from Florida. Hot as shit and humid, but 'nips' down to freezing at night like 4 times a year, and only for like a couple hours. 

10 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I think its the humidity that 'gets' to me more than anything at night.

This. 

16 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

I have always wondered why some people do it. It's so damn annoying. Never occurred to them that if they set the temperature a bit higher they won't need the blanket LMFAO 

What part and how is it annoying?  Personally, environmentally,  psychologically?  In what way, I'm curious?

49 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I don't know anyone who sets their bedroom AC at 15-20C, but envy those who prefer this temp. at night and can afford to snuggle up under a duvet and pay the consequent elec. bill.  Snuggling under a duvet is just sooo comforting :smile:.

Having lived here a decade, I think its the humidity that 'gets' to me more than anything at night.  Regardless of whether I use AC or the lowest setting on a strong fan, the end result is that at various times during the night I'm either too hot or too cold!  The light 'blanket' goes up and down like a yo-yo :lol:.

Used to "crank" the AC when I stayed in hotels here during one month stays.  It is kind of a luxury snuggled under a comforter with a little spinner watching your breath as you exhale.  Fortunately a fan and howling sea breeze works fine now.

6 hours ago, louse1953 said:

It is not about affording it,it's about caring about your children's future.Obviosly you don't care.

I wanna blow up the world...under me duvet with the AC on...

Personally i sleep wery well on a cool room under a nice duvet. But then i also have a heel of a matress and my bed is heaven. 

If you are happy sweating balls under a flimsy sheet, power too you - you are more than sanctimonious enough for the both of us.

I grew up in a cold climate, so I am used to cold rooms and big covers, and without a thick cover I don't sleep well.

For what it's worth, the energy used up to power computers for people to answer this pointless tedious topic is greater than that I use to keep my air con on icy every night.

You're welcome.

Never liked AC.....never will. A simple fan circulating the ambient air is good enough for me.

I appreciate we are all different....I personally do not like the cold, that is why I chose to live here in Thailand, I am comfortable with the heat and humidity.....each to their own.

Cheers,

My better half used to do this all the time when I first moved here and we stayed in a condo. She wrap herself up and I'd be freezing. 

When I asked her why she did it, she told me she just wanted to wrap herself up at night. It was "sabai". Something different for her. Coming from Western Europe, I hated it as it reminded me too much of the long, cold winter nights. 

In the mean time she is a lot more environmentally conscious.

I came from Canada. There many of us like a really cold room to sleep in and a warm blanket to curl up in.We believe a cold room is better for sleeping. Some of my family leave their bedroom window open to get cold air in all winter.Even when it is minus 40 celsius cold outside.  

ACs need a lot more improvement. When the outside unit turns on and off its not really helping with the humidity. They tried to help that with the Dry setting but it doesnt work for everyone.  There should be a % power adjustment setting on the outside unit

27 minutes ago, Sojuncoke said:

ACs need a lot more improvement. When the outside unit turns on and off its not really helping with the humidity. They tried to help that with the Dry setting but it doesnt work for everyone.  There should be a % power adjustment setting on the outside unit

what you are suggesting is technically not possible with a compressor driven by AC (alternate current). the "dry" setting works perfectly assuming the unit is not overdimensioned. those with older models which don't have the "dry" feature can increase dehumidification by switching to the lowest fan speed.

low fan speed = lower evaporator temperature = higher dehumidification.

Edited by Naam

On 11/5/2016 at 11:17 AM, louse1953 said:

Not everybody has children. Perhaps if the world would learn to curb their irresponsible breeding I could run my air con all damn night and get a good night's rest. Anybody with children has no business lecturing anybody about wasting unnecessary resources. 

• 2 weeks later...
what you are suggesting is technically not possible with a compressor driven by AC (alternate current). the "dry" setting works perfectly assuming the unit is not overdimensioned. those with older models which don't have the "dry" feature can increase dehumidification by switching to the lowest fan speed.

low fan speed = lower evaporator temperature = higher dehumidification.

Isn't that "Inverter" technology working in that way?
I mean decreasing the power consumption when the desired temperature is reached instead of only the 100% on/off?