Thaivisa survey: Half of expats have considered leaving Thailand in the last year

rooster59

23 hours ago, mercman24 said:

its the jumping through hoops thing that sticks up my craw, they like to take my money, i bet my monthy spends are  more 12 of your average thai,(probably more) if we all decided to up sticks one day (ok it aint gonna happen) this place would be bancrupt overnight,

55,Thailand did alright before we invaded their space and and they would do fine after we all left.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mcfish said:

It truly fascinating. Pretty much every one that left has no regrets
.. The fact that most won't get laid ever again should be enough but....

.. then you have freezing weather, rampant unemployment, sky high rentals so it's back to sharing with 4 others, real inflation, your pension allows chicken mince after expenses, then there is real deadly violence in most Western cities makes the lady boy wallet grab a bit of laugh really

Surrree there are no regrets? LMAO

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

DEpends on where you move to and what you end up doing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jobin said:

Vietnam has offered a one year visa for USA, maybe others.  An option, if Cambo not good.  But VN, like China, has bad commie govt, highly restrictive rules but fair food, maybe OK ladies.

55,you haven't been to Vietnam,have you?

21 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I think many of us are a bit nervous as we see the visa/extension requirements being ever increased - which makes more obvious the general (as opposed to Thais that know us as individuals) dislike of foreigners.

And what requirements are they?

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:41 PM, Johnniey said:

I'm every year about half of expats consider leaving the country.

The long-term newbie with 5 years fall off their pink cloud. The long-term expats learn how to have an attitude of gratitude and accept things as they really are.

The main reason they are unhappier as they realize after a few years that the somewhat exotic dark-skinned Issarnite is not in fact desirable anymore.

The above, plus many have been ripped of their money then Brexit collapsing the pound has made a few nervous.

A friend has just been ripped by his wife of many years, borrowing on his house behind his back to pay off the brothers gambling debt.

A once happy man now a very worried man.

Returning home to most countries does not look good, the world is in a horrible state.

Thailand is not to bad but it is not so safe anymore and getting expensive.

• Like 2

Why Good riddance, I have been here coming up 11 years, the last 8 in Hua Hin, I believe I have given a lot more to Thailand than its given back to me, Had a great time, but I dislike so much injustice , I decided that I couldnt live where maybe 5% of the country is above the law and the rest are left to scrummage around dustbins for plastic to get by each day, where a mushroom nicker gets 10 years and murderers walk free. No I am off to the nanny state, where I can say what I like about who I like, where I can complain about  a product or how a company is run without worrying about being sued by the company for defamation. Where I can drive without worrying about a six up motorbike hitting me and then being blamed cos I farang. Where i can still watch a one on one rumble and not a 10 to 1 cowardly attack. I have made some great mates here and when i was on the wrong end of a corrupt police and justice system, they were there for me, but they were all ex pats, the Thais just accept that we are here to supply the bahts. Yes I am going to miss alot about Thailand . But its seems to me that there are a more than a few expats thinking the same as me, and mostly the attitude of the good riddance brigade comes from the ones who have sweet F A to go back to and probably end there days sitting outside a 7/11 with a tinnie in hand.

Classy post. I bet my last baht you just run out of money and are bitter and twisted and that's how you come across! Good ridenace. But don't blame the Thais for all the strife you appear to get into, trouble will follow you wherever you go

• Like 1

Enough said, everybody has their own opinions which fields are greener. For those like me moving to either Cambodia and Vietnam.....off course we would like to one day (in the short future...at the rate that thinsg are going, maybe a year or so) sit down and clap in glee at all those expats who said great things about staying in Thailand and stayed on. Off course it will be sad to see their heads and the heads of their loved ones, hanging from trees though! lol! Just hope that it does not come to that but at the rate the xenophobic and nationalistic messages are being put into the brains of the local things, one can never say. It seems to all thais these days , all foreigners are bad except foreigners money!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fruitman said:

We are thinking of New Zealand.

But what has the junta done to you? I don't get it.

Thaksin was good in fighting drugs and a more strong leader but the police was corrupt and he didn't care. They still don't work but at least don't stop you for nothing but paying cash.

In the past all Thai respected foreigners much more than now, guess they have seen too many tourists. Farang are only good to ask a triple price, for the rest they don't give a ... about them. Even in places like MacDonalds they can't speak a word english, the other day i ordered 3 hamburgers and the poor girl had no idea what i was saying. This was in BKK though, not up in the fields or so.

Well they go for the chinese now, let them do. They even call them quality tourists, oh the irony.

You can't even order 3 hamburgers in Thai,deary me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

Enough said, everybody has their own opinions which fields are greener. For those like me moving to either Cambodia and Vietnam.....off course we would like to one day (in the short future...at the rate that thinsg are going, maybe a year or so) sit down and clap in glee at all those expats who said great things about staying in Thailand and stayed on. Off course it will be sad to see their heads and the heads of their loved ones, hanging from trees though! lol! Just hope that it does not come to that but at the rate the xenophobic and nationalistic messages are being put into the brains of the local things, one can never say. It seems to all thais these days , all foreigners are bad except foreigners money!

Don't know about some of this.  My experience is that Vietnamese are really hard nosed people. Unsentimental and a lot more likely to take your last penny and leave you dying on the road. There is a lot of recent history in Vietnam and Cambodia that might indicate a halt on things before thinking that Thais are more likely to do you harm than Viets and Cambodians.

15 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

Things weren't much different 25 years ago, but i still came here and moved to live here 11 years ago, and love it.

Good luck to you and your b/f (? !).

41 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

Are you being serious I doubt it well at least I hope not. You are suggesting that Thais will behead me and my family and place them in trees are you completely mad. are you moving to Vietnam??? I seem to remember they are butchers along with Combodia's killing fields. Good luck keep your head you never know.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mcfish said:

It truly fascinating. Pretty much every one that left has no regrets
.. The fact that most won't get laid ever again should be enough but....

.. then you have freezing weather, rampant unemployment, sky high rentals so it's back to sharing with 4 others, real inflation, your pension allows chicken mince after expenses, then there is real deadly violence in most Western cities makes the lady boy wallet grab a bit of laugh really

Surrree there are no regrets? LMAO

THis is the post of someone who puts up a brave face but deep down inside knows they have made the wrong decision.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Not sure it qualifies as 'anti Thailand' but anyone who commits 'all in' so to speak, without the options to walk away if needed is indeed a fool.

Things change and our ability to adapt to changing circumstances says a lot about us.

Those who refuse to see changes and act accordingly are ultimately the losers

So if you commit all in as you say in your mother country wherever it may be then that's fine??? why would I need an escape plan never had one in any other country I've lived in and I really don't see I need one here so according to you I'm a fool. I have managed pretty well up to now and unless I pop my glogs tm I can't see a lot changing in the near or distant future for me anyways. 

I belive it sort 9f does qualify for Anti Thailand really  quote " 

Half of expats have considered leaving Thailand in the last year"

Now if it had added as it should

Half of expats have considered leaving Thailand in the last year based on 579 people who took part in this survey.

Then that would have given the article a whole diffrent direction.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Your Home Country is probably a stable democracy. For better or worse governments come and go, but fundementaly things don't change in terms of law and justice

Well wake up and smell the roses, you ain't in Kansas anymore. Things here can change 180 degrees on a dime.

What is OK today, could at the whim of whatever junta is in place change.

So, be happy with the life you have today, but don't whine and whimper when some General turns that ideal life upside down, and you don't have an exit plan

Who's winning and wipering  not I and never will be seen changes in Thailand over the years non have affected me and I don't belive they ever will. Again why have an exit plan. if they decide and they won't but let's say they give forigners 30 days to leave the country no problem there's my exit plan right there. I have no house land buisness here. Mrs owns all that they ain't going to kick a thai national out. I move to another close by country mrs carries on businesses here in Thailand and we live on close by country simple really . And YES I do trust my wife.

Just now, Deepinthailand said:

Who's winning and wipering  not I and never will be seen changes in Thailand over the years non have affected me and I don't belive they ever will. Again why have an exit plan. if they decide and they won't but let's say they give forigners 30 days to leave the country no problem there's my exit plan right there. I have no house land buisness here. Mrs owns all that they ain't going to kick a thai national out. I move to another close by country mrs carries on businesses here in Thailand and we live on close by country simple really . And YES I do trust my wife.

Then you have a nice life, watch the nightly fantasy show at 8PM and all will be well

• Like 1

THis is the post of someone who puts up a brave face but deep down inside knows they have made the wrong decision.

And you sound like the many thousands of middle age men who fled thailand and is now couch surfing with elderly parents.

I just wish that those who failed and couldn't carve out a life for themselves in Los would just come out and say.. Im a failure!

My guess is that around 50% were losers before they got here and back to being losers on welfare in the their nanny state!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

I have no idea why you are so negative and to tell the truth I don't care I was mearly answering you question no fantasy involved pure facts. 

I think you're missing the point here

I live here, have done for many years. But I'd be a fool if I didn't consider the options 'if' things took a turn for the worse.

• Like 1