fish and chips Chaing Mai

jippytum

2 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Fair enough, just so long as it's not being suggested that the advertised cod is really dory.

I bought the cod last time I was there and was disappointed. It seemed slightly rubbery. I enjoyed the food on all my previous visits so will give them another go.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Loaded said:

I bought the cod last time I was there and was disappointed. It seemed slightly rubbery. I enjoyed the food on all my previous visits so will give them another go.

I was in Bridlington East Yorkshire of all places two weeks ago, the place is jam packed with fish and chip shops (and sod all else). I had cod and chips twice in one week and it was very poor both times, tasteless and rubbery, I put it down to modern healthy cooking oils and frozen fish. Bring back dripping I say!

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

I was in Bridlington East Yorkshire of all places two weeks ago, the place is jam packed with fish and chip shops (and sod all else). I had cod and chips twice in one week and it was very poor both times, tasteless and rubbery, I put it down to modern healthy cooking oils and frozen fish. Bring back dripping I say!

Get yourself to Lincoln next time :smile:

Nothing wrong with kiwi fush and chups (As an Aussie would think we say)

But it was always a Friday night dinner and damn did it taste good.  Mushy peas were never on the menu.... he'll that's starting to get healthy and we can't be having that.

How else were we to produce big rugby players?

Snapper, blue cod, orange roughy and rig (lemon or young shark) Were the main fish used. From the cold waters around NZ and very tasty they are too.

Never heard a bad word re fish and chips in NZ.

On ‎14‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 2:09 AM, Paul Catton said:

Fish and Chip royalty moved to NZ or didn't you hear, chasing the snapper as the cod & haddock supply in the Northern hemisphere became decimated. 

Dave2, "Sarsons" Malt Vinegar not Heinz.

Lived in London 10 years and didn't like the way they do takeaways there- cook a big batch and leave it under lights- but never had a complaint about N Z takeaway fish and chips. In fact that is one of the things I really like about N Z.

I don't eat in London or NZ restaurants as my employment didn't give me enough redies, but I can't imagine food on an average restaurant table being THAT much better than what is served in the good takeaways.

I don't normally like the fish served in LOS much, but I tried Gekko Garden and I found it to be very OK, and LOTS of food on the plate at a very reasonable price.

All their food seems great, but I like reasonably priced tasty food and lots of it over fancy food and not much of it at a high price. No doubt the "connoisseurs" would not like the place as not being classy enough, but I like it there.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Lived in London 10 years and didn't like the way they do takeaways there- cook a big batch and leave it under lights- but never had a complaint about N Z takeaway fish and chips. In fact that is one of the things I really like about N Z.

I don't eat in London or NZ restaurants as my employment didn't give me enough redies, but I can't imagine food on an average restaurant table being THAT much better than what is served in the good takeaways.

I don't normally like the fish served in LOS much, but I tried Gekko Garden and I found it to be very OK, and LOTS of food on the plate at a very reasonable price.

All their food seems great, but I like reasonably priced tasty food and lots of it over fancy food and not much of it at a high price. No doubt the "connoisseurs" would not like the place as not being classy enough, but I like it there.

Friday night fish and chip night 105bht

Had the Gekko Garden Fish and chips for the second week running yesterday and can highly recommend them for quality, quantity and price.  The fish is done in breadcrumbs rather than batter but that is how I prefer them. 

PS;  In a Scottish F&C shop, fish done this way are called 'Special Fish' and cost more than the standard battered 'Fried Fish'

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I went there about 9 pm and it was closed. Not going to be doing much business if it isn't open to do so.

I hope you were "just passing " trade and stopped in the hope for something more than an off the street 7/11 snack or a 24/7 McD burger thus without reservation being non too-plussed with the premises being closed.

I empathise with many small enterprises sometimes having to close shop contrary to general expectation and personally would always being calling ahead.

1 hour ago, JaseTheBass said:

The missus and I shared a platter of fish & chips from Rustic & Blue on Nimman 7 the other day. While not traditional take-away F&C, it was the best one I can remember having in Thailand by a mile.

Yes good food there very tasty bit small portions but excellent value for cost.

Happened to try the pope approved Friday special at Papa Rocks last week.. 

OK so the fish is dory not cod, simply no economics in trying to sell cod, but the batter was superb, just the right crunch and no oilyness.. 

Was about the best I have had here at normal price points. 

3 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Happened to try the pope approved Friday special at Papa Rocks last week.. 

OK so the fish is dory not cod, simply no economics in trying to sell cod, but the batter was superb, just the right crunch and no oilyness.. 

Was about the best I have had here at normal price points. 

How much ?