fish and chips Chaing Mai

jippytum

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, LivinLOS said:

I dont pay much attention.. But if I had to make a wild guess.. 125 ??? 2 bits of fish and homecut chips.. 

and this place just off 108 and at junction with Big C ?

Looked at a map an as usual conflicting info...had a push pin in What Ket next to Gymnkana  as well for it!

I had the fish & chips at hard rock cafe yesterday 3 decent size pieces of white fish ( not sure what kind but probably not cod or hadddock) that were done in batter very tasty & nice chips ( not fries) , not for the cheapskates  was 370 baht but was good

On ‎01‎.‎12‎.‎2016 at 5:30 PM, Paul Catton said:

I hope you were "just passing " trade and stopped in the hope for something more than an off the street 7/11 snack or a 24/7 McD burger thus without reservation being non too-plussed with the premises being closed.

I empathise with many small enterprises sometimes having to close shop contrary to general expectation and personally would always being calling ahead.

?????????

Do you know that for a small place like that no one "calls ahead"? There are another hundred within a five minute walk.

I have been there 4 times, 3 times it was closed ( various times of the day, today about 3 pm ), and once when it was open but devoid of staff, so I was unable to obtain one of their apparently excellent pies.

If the management don't wish to abide by Thai norms, they would be advised to put up a notice detailing when they will be open.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That is more than I pay back home for excellent fish and chips.

Why should it cost less if using cod etc ?? 

People need to get used to the idea Thailand will not, and even for many many things now already is not cheaper than the west. 

Breadcrumb Fish and Mash !

A perverts idea of Fish & ? for sure.

Now't beats Beer Batter, Toni at Yummy has his staff well trained and I feel reassured when they pull a Half pint before making my Cod, Battered Cod that is.

john

15 hours ago, dave2 said:

we will continue to Suffer in our little hell.

you carry on :( ... the un irish do a lovely bit of fish in breadcrumbs

but its a bit dry

so i stick with the beer batterd one thats nice and moist :)

dave2

un irish breaded fish mash 1 nov 16 20161101_171654~01.jpg

It might be OK eating but clearly that is not fish and chips !! 

re

jonwilly wargeordie and loaded

three poor ~ ~ ~  ~ who prefer the rock hard dry chewy tasteless fries they serve up in

most of thailand

to the nice creamy portion of mash that they serve in the un irish with anything you want in exchange for the fries must be right !

and im wrong to prefer it ?

how sad :(

ps ... i agree on the salad but the cook thinks it makes the plate look good :)

dave2 

sheep with lambs 14 apr 11 DSC06893.JPG

20 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Why should it cost less if using cod etc ?? 

People need to get used to the idea Thailand will not, and even for many many things now already is not cheaper than the west. 

LOL. I only put up with the dirt, decrepitude and the terrible traffic because it is cheaper. If they want to charge western prices, they'd better wise up and provide western standard infrastructure and do something about the moron drivers.

4 hours ago, dave2 said:

re

jonwilly wargeordie and loaded

three poor ~ ~ ~  ~ who prefer the rock hard dry chewy tasteless fries they serve up in

most of thailand

to the nice creamy portion of mash that they serve in the un irish with anything you want in exchange for the fries must be right !

and im wrong to prefer it ?

how sad :(

ps ... i agree on the salad but the cook thinks it makes the plate look good :)

dave2 

sheep with lambs 14 apr 11 DSC06893.JPG

I make my own F& C, Atlantic Cod which is really Pacific Cod from RimPing,double fry the chips,

so crisp outside and  soft inside, and over time i have just about perfected the batter,plus i have

a supply of dried marrowfat peas, for the mushy peas,and Sarsons vinegar,NO lettuce,mash,on my plate.

its not really difficult,but only fancy F&C once ,twice a month.prefer curries.

regards worgeordie

4 hours ago, dave2 said:

re

Not tried Papa Rocks chips I see !! 

nahhh ... coz a friend sent me a pic of them about a month ago :(

dave2

papa rocks fish and chips from tony 7 oct 16 20161107101305.jpg

Was Nicke in the building ?? Never seen anything that bad produced while I was there.. 

On 12/9/2016 at 4:16 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

That is more than I pay back home for excellent fish and chips.

Although you are not comparing like for like .

You could probably get F&C cheaper for that in a Grimsby take away fish and chip shop , but the Hard rock is a branded restaurant .

F&C would be more expensive in the UK if you went to a Hard Rock restaurant in Manchester .

Cod is also expensive in Thailand because Cod do not live locally , it has to be imported

The BBC are reporting in the future there will be no Cod left for

F&C ,as the seas are warming around the UK,so the Cod are

moving to colder waters,while Squid are moving it,so it looks

like it will be S&C , squid and chips in the future.

regards worgeordie

Soon, there will no seafood to eat.  Not a fish, nor a squid, nor a prawn, not even a mollusk.  You may laff aloud at such an incredible idea but believe me every chinese wants to eat lobster and cod and they will pay.

Soon no elephants left on earth coz every chinese wants to eat with ivory chopsticks. That is the way the world is going. 

Suggest you try sardine sandwiches, on whole wheat toast.  But not those sardines in tomato sauce, only use sardines in oil.  Olive oil good but expensive.  Safflower, sunflower oil also good and less costly.  Very tasty and good nutrition.

No, you won't be saving any fish or squid from the chinese nets but may learn a new taste treat.

No North Sea Cod and COD is the only Fish for Fish & Chips, means the cod will go north and west Iceland and such.

I understand that Newfoundland was discovered by Spanish seamen chasing and hunting cod long before Cris C found American.

john

Edited by jonwilly

I make my own F& C, Atlantic Cod which is really Pacific Cod from RimPing,double fry the chips,
so crisp outside and  soft inside, and over time i have just about perfected the batter,plus i have
a supply of dried marrowfat peas, for the mushy peas,and Sarsons vinegar,NO lettuce,mash,on my plate.
its not really difficult,but only fancy F&C once ,twice a month.prefer curries.
regards worgeordie

Right, I'm round at yours this week end, don't forget a good thick crust with real butter as well!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app