Voter turnout 'explodes' among blacks, Hispanics in US

webfact

Voter turnout 'explodes' among blacks, Hispanics in US

MIAMI - Voter turnout among African American and Hispanic voters in the United States is surging, and this swell of minority participation could spell trouble for Donald Trump's White House hopes.

On Sunday -- the last day of early voting before Election Day on November 8 -- hundreds of people attended "Souls to the Polls" events, aimed at encouraging churchgoers to vote across the key swing state of Florida.

Some came straight from morning worship, wearing three-piece suits and dresses as they made their way past dozens of campaigners hoisting signs for local candidates and urging support for solar energy and education issues.

Full story: http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/government-economy/voter-turnout-explodes-among-blacks-hispanics-in-us

-- THE BUSINESS TIMES 2016-11-07

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Rob8891 said:

What a poor choice -America is screwed either way. All they can do now is bend over and pass the lube..... No, no, not you Trumpies....No lube for you! ?

They say every democratic country gets the government / president it deserves

This is not a matter of "poor" choice , when D. Trump is in the race - it's the opportunity to make an existential decision by voting for his opponent. 

Yes it makes a difference to cast you vote -  " every democratic country gets the government / president " it votes for.

Edited by Opl

While policies have not been a big issue on this election, those are behind the personalities. When I listened what kind of policies Clinton has, she sounds like a solid and thoughtful person who will continue improving USA and will be good for the western world values.

I think the idea of having 2 bad candidates only come from Trump's campaign. He has repeated it so many times, that many start to think it's true, while it's absolute bullocks. 

1 hour ago, Silurian said:

DT can't fool the minorities. They know a racist and his ilk when they see one. DT's own campaign did nothing but turn away the minority vote. It will be his downfall.

It's not just the minorities, educated white folks aren't buying Trump's con job either.  I do hope Clinton wins in a landslide.  Then these bigoted, racist, alt-right crazies can go back and hide under their rocks.  And yes, these loonies should not have a voice in how America is governed. 

37 minutes ago, oilinki said:

While policies have not been a big issue on this election, those are behind the personalities. When I listened what kind of policies Clinton has, she sounds like a solid and thoughtful person who will continue improving USA and will be good for the western world values.

I think the idea of having 2 bad candidates only come from Trump's campaign. He has repeated it so many times, that many start to think it's true, while it's absolute bullocks. 

I find neither of the very likeable. 

I look forward to seeing the lovely Michele in the White House.

Next time with Barack doing the cooking.

Edited by Enoon

I have a really hard time understanding why some people think that a crass, classless, rude, spiteful, tiny-minded, entitled, thin-skinned bully such as Trump would make a good president.

It irritates me when people say Clinton is the lesser of two evils. The choice is clear: One is a turd sandwich and the other is a perfectly good, though plain, cheese sandwich. Clinton may not inspire like Obama, but her capabilities, experience and commitment to work for the good of the nation are solid.

Spend today calling your friends and relatives in America to go out and vote. Most Americans are sensible enough to steer clear of the turd sandwich.

T

11 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

I have a really hard time understanding why some people think that a crass, classless, rude, spiteful, tiny-minded, entitled, thin-skinned bully such as Trump would make a good president.

It irritates me when people say Clinton is the lesser of two evils. The choice is clear: One is a turd sandwich and the other is a perfectly good, though plain, cheese sandwich. Clinton may not inspire like Obama, but her capabilities, experience and commitment to work for the good of the nation are solid.

Spend today calling your friends and relatives in America to go out and vote. Most Americans are sensible enough to steer clear of the turd sandwich.

T

pssst  wanna  buy  some  land

59 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Libya was Hillary's doing.

Next up, Syria/Russia.

She's falseness,greed, unbridled ambition & corruption incarnate.

Give it a rest. Lying  doesn't change what  happened. Libya was a France-Italy-UK   initiated regime change. In case you missed it, Libya was  causing serious problems for the Europeans by facilitating the  tens of thousands of economic migrants. Also,  Italy was dependent upon Libya's oil. The USa wanted  to stay out of Libya. Clinton didn't want to participate.

1 hour ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

The "Hispanic wave" that's been predicted for decades...the nation's still waiting for it  :sleepy:  And in any case, if it ever did materialize, it would have marginal effect as most Hispanics (and blacks) are concentrated in already solidly Democratic states.

A typical uneducated Trump supporter.  Hispanics now make up over 20% of the U.S. population.  The problem for Republicans is that the border states in the West, traditionally bastions of Republican conservatism (except for Cali), have also seen dramatic increases in their Hispanic populations.  The Hispanic populations of Arizona, New Mexico and Texas now exceed 30% of the total populations.  Hispanic population is also growing in Nevada (28%).

PH_2016.09.08_Geography-23.png 

I don't like Michael Moore, but I found his recent video on explaining the popularity of Trump to be quite enlightening:  

Edited by zaphod reborn

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

Give it a rest. Lying  doesn't change what  happened. Libya was a France-Italy-UK   initiated regime change. In case you missed it, Libya was  causing serious problems for the Europeans by facilitating the  tens of thousands of economic migrants. Also,  Italy was dependent upon Libya's oil. The USa wanted  to stay out of Libya. Clinton didn't want to participate.

Obama/the Pentagon wanted no part of it, Hillary did.

America "led from behind". You may have seen Hillary's jubilation at hearing the news of Ghadaffi's death.

Hillary on hearing of Ghadaffi's demise: "We came, we saw, he died".

Like Syria & Iraq, Libya was just another one of Israel's enemies not really bothering anyone outside their borders.

I know guys who worked in Libya during Ghadaffi's time, it was him who actually stemmed the tide, the Med/immigrant crisis became a problem after his death.

He is on record as saying "Without me, the Mediterranean will turn into a sea of chaos".

He was damn right!

Edited by Andrew65

1 hour ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

The "Hispanic wave" that's been predicted for decades...the nation's still waiting for it  :sleepy:  And in any case, if it ever did materialize, it would have marginal effect as most Hispanics (and blacks) are concentrated in already solidly Democratic states.

Oh really, you mean like Florida, Arizona, Texas, and Nevada?  And I guess you didn't read the article. There already is a surge in Hispanic areas. We know that because of something called arithmetic. 

9 minutes ago, zaphod reborn said:

A typical uneducated Trump supporter.  Hispanics now make up over 20% of the U.S. population.  The problem for Republicans is that the border states in the West, traditionally bastions of Republican conservatism (except for Cali), have also seen dramatic increases in their Hispanic populations.  The Hispanic populations of Arizona, New Mexico and Texas now exceed 30% of the total populations.  Hispanic population is also growing in Nevada (28%).

PH_2016.09.08_Geography-23.png 

I don't like Michael Moore, but I found his recent video on explaining the popularity of Trump to be quite enlightening:  

"Have also seen dramatic increases in population..." yeah...the mostly illegal and ineligible to vote; but I'm sure Corrupt Hillary will get them to the polls to fraudulently vote anyway...additional proof of election rigging.

1 minute ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

"Have also seen dramatic increases in population..." yeah...the mostly illegal and ineligible to vote; but I'm sure Corrupt Hillary will get them to the polls to fraudulently vote anyway...additional proof of election rigging.

Yes, I'm sure Florida, Texas, and Arizona, states with absolute control of the government, are welcoming illegal immigrants to the polls.  

4 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Yes, I'm sure Florida, Texas, and Arizona, states with absolute control of the government, are welcoming illegal immigrants to the polls.  

"States with absolute control of the government..." what the heck?  :blink:

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

5 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I think you left out an entire argument  :w00t:

How's this? Ohio, Iowa, Kansas and few other states governed by Republicans conducted massive voter fraud investigatons in their respective states. And you know what they uncovered?  Fraud in the tens of...ones. Virtually nothing.

Oddly enough, people who study this field say that the most potential for fraud is in absentee voting.  In person voting fraud is virtually non existent. Yet, even more oddly, for some reason Republican run states haven't even addressed this issue.  Could it be because absentee ballots tend to favor Republican candidates?

Edited by ilostmypassword

8 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

How's this? Ohio, Iowa, Kansas and few other states governed by Republicans conducted massive voter fraud investigatons in their respective states. And you know what they uncovered?  Fraud in the tens of...ones. Virtually nothing.

Oddly enough, people who study this field say that the most potential for fraud is in absentee voting.  In person voting fraud is virtually non existent. Yet, even more oddly, for some reason Republican run states haven't even addressed this issue.  Could it be because absentee ballots tend to favor Republican candidates?

Oddly enough, a candidate who has spent 30 years in the public eye, spent time supposedly warming the Presidential bed during another presidency (I know...a pretty scary thought), was a senator from a major state, served as Secretary of State and who some claim to be the best qualified candidate ever for the Presidency is running neck and neck for the presidency against a political neophyte who has never held elective office. Like she said..."why aren't I 50 points ahead?"

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Just now, OMGImInPattaya said:

Oddly enough, a candidate who has spent 30 years in the public eye, spent time supposedly warming the Presidential bed during another presidency (I know...a pretty scary thought), was a senator from a major state, served as Secretary of State and who some claim to be the best qualified candidate ever for the Presidency is running neck and neck for the presidency against a political neophyte who has never held elective office. Like she said..."why aren't I 50 point ahead?"

Is this irrelevant passage your way of saying you concede my point?

11 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Similar in the UK with postal votes apparently.