"Road block hero" could face prosecution as Korat police circle the wagons

webfact

"Road block hero" could face prosecution as Korat police circle the wagons

a2.jpg

Picture: Daily News

KORAT: -- The man who has been hailed as a "road block hero" after he filmed himself live on Facebook telling Korat police what they were doing was illegal is now in hot water.

Korat police have hit back at allegations that what they were doing was illegal. And they have said that the man has confused the public and may face charges of violating the law himself, reports Daily News.

Activist Kriangkrai Thai-orn got cops at two locations in Nakorn Ratchasima to pack up their cones and go home after claiming they had no permission to set up the roadblocks. 

He said they needed permission under section 38 from the highways authority which they didn't have.

He had an online audience of 100,000 cheering him on.

But now Korat police spokesman Supakorn Khamsing has hit back saying that the police don't need permission from the highways authority to protect and serve the public by setting up roadblocks.

Referring to Kriangkrai he said that the man's actions were unhelpful and could constitute a deliberate attempt to confuse and misinform the public for which he could be prosecuted under technology legislation.

Kriangkrai has already explained that the law itself is unclear and now it seems as though a different interpretation may well land him in trouble rather than the officers who set up the roadblocks in the first place.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-09

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Korat police have lost face on this 1, so they will have to do something.

Cannot allow an upstart to make fools of us.

Time  for him to move i think, before he has a serious unexplained accident.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

Anyone who cites laws, especially when self-admittedly unclear, to the police has their sights set on becoming a martyr IMO.

Especially here! I wouldn't be posting/sharing his video on the great social media board either..................;)

40 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Having unclear laws suits officialdom as they can interpret as they see fit and they're always correct.

Yup but that was in the past.

Now we have the big General who can't live with that...guess he'll reply soon on this case.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Kriangkrai has already explained that the law itself is unclear and now it seems as though a different interpretation may well land him in trouble rather than the officers who set up the roadblocks in the first place.

And there you have it folks! Thats why nothing you do in Thailand is EVER water tight. There is always another contradicting law or authority or interpretation to land you in hot water if someone wants to make it so. And if that applies to Thai's then it applies doubly to foriengners. The one constant law to never disobeying in Thailand is: Never rock the boat!

Edited by Dukeleto

The guy who told the police to ship off might be in trouble for 'confusing' the public. Yet, the law itself is 'unclear'.

If the law is unclear, of course it's going to be confusing. Why not go after the law makers as well for confusing the public? No? Go after the small guy for making you lose face, yea?

Remember, you farangs - respect the law in Thailand! I completely respect that it's made up as they go along.

1 hour ago, trogers said:

Make Entrapment legal as Singapore has done.

This would induce fear in offering and accepting bribes.

That is fun.. can be used against you too.. and somehow i think that will happen more than it will happen against the police. Not to mention they are more powerful then you and can drag prosecution for ages. 

What the police brass is really miffed about is, how the officers meekly followed the directions of a civilian and left for their station with their tails between their legs. All it needed was a confident individual, some legalese and a live broadcast. If the police themselves had been convinced  their actions were legal, they would have arrested the man for obstruction, camera running or not.

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

That is fun.. can be used against you too.. and somehow i think that will happen more than it will happen against the police. Not to mention they are more powerful then you and can drag prosecution for ages. 

In Singapore, entrapment is carried out by undercover officers of the anti-corruption bureau that reports directly to the PM.

Even the police fears them.

32 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

What the police brass is really miffed about is, how the officers meekly followed the directions of a civilian and left for their station with their tails between their legs. All it needed was a confident individual, some legalese and a live broadcast. If the police themselves had been convinced  their actions were legal, they would have arrested the man for obstruction, camera running or not.

Lack of training and a suitably senior officer in command of the roadblok.

51 minutes ago, Dukeleto said:

And there you have it folks! Thats why nothing you do in Thailand is EVER water tight. There is always another contradicting law or authority or interpretation to land you in hot water if someone wants to make it so. And if that applies to Thai's then it applies doubly to foriengners. The one constant law to never disobeying in Thailand is: Never rock the boat!

ya , true .  or as i like to say , dont piss against the wind .

I am used to officers quoting me the articles I have violated before imposing their fine fine, so there is not a lot of room to argue about the offence. And that in a country where, according to the joke, a policeman comes to his officer and tells him about his new born baby and the cost involved whereupon the officer congratulates him and says: here you are, you can use the do not turn left sign for the whole week.  

The question is why the police left in the first place, did they not know the law ? Why not simple take the guy to the station for interfering with police-work.

In any case; another person got a minute of internet fame .. .. .. two minutes already .. .. ..
I'd just have ignored it and given proper instructions to officers on the road !

Sygmund Baumann's analysis about people living virtual lives, and losing skills to communicate, is spot on it seems.

Edited by KKr

I believe in most cases the police are Not serving the public by setting up road blocks .  Most often they are checking that cars have up to date road fund licences , which benefits the government .  The highway police come out on rare occasions but do little or nothing to serve the public or ensure road safety .