Mid Sukhumvit vs. Ratchada vs. Lower Sukhumvit

Tee Kay

Hi all,

I'm moving to BKK for a job in January and am considering three areas to live:

1) Mid Sukhumvit anywhere between Phrom Phong and Ekkamai

2) Ratchada, probably the Rama IX area

3) Lower Sukhumvit near Asoke

I'm looking in the 20,000-25,000 THB/month range for a 1B or studio. I really want to be near good/plentiful Thai street food, fun bars/clubs, grocery stores, and within a 10 minute walk to a BTS or MRT station (I'll be working in Siam). I will not be frequenting Soi Cowboy or Nana Plaza, so being near those places does not matter to me. I'd also like to live in an area that has at least some Thai locals and not all tourists. What can you tell me about the three areas I've listed above in regards to these criteria?

Thanks in advance!

sukumwit wherever is overpriced both for rent and usually for most restaurants.

i live in rachada near thailand cultural center metro. tons of inexpensive thai food, big c supermarket with lots of europe import food . theres italian food, korean, many more within walking distance. also the street mall with 24 hour burger king and other restaurants including chinese and dim sum. their food court is great and inexpensive thai food. theres also esplanade mall with movie theatres and more restaurants and a very interesting night market with more food, shiopping and many pubs including a few that have live music. rent is a lot more reasonable too. and normal thai people not toursim hassles

sukumwit road is 3 metro stops away, literally just 3-4 minutes.

Edited by atyclb

Ratchada near Rama IX has plenty of stalls, carts and other cheap food options. There's no shortage of western, Japanese, Chinese and Korean restaurants in the Central Rama IX Mall and other nearby malls like Fortune Town and Esplanade. Topps and Villa markets are right there, and Big C, Foodland and the Huay Kwang fresh market are just up the road. Lots of clubs and bars on Ratchada Soi 8 and many more close by, with almost exclusively Thai clientele.

You won't see nearly as many tourists in that area as you would in the Sukhumvit area, but you won't find much English spoken either. The MRT is right there too. 

Probably the best thing to do is to check out the different areas to see what suits you best. I live not too far from Ratchada/ Rama IX on a very quiet soi, and personally much prefer it to the Sukhumvit area. 

The Phrom Phong area can be extremely expensive to rent because it is the central area for Japanese expats and their families.

One thing is that the rents on the even side sois (22-38) can be a lot more reasonable than the odd side sois (31-55).

This is because Japanese people prefer not to live the other side of Sukhumvit, so the demand isn't there.

Ratchada will probably fit your needs but also check out the Ari, Phiya Thai, Victory Monument areas.  Not yet overpopulated with westerners yet many western amenities,  Close to Siam on a somewhat less jam-packed BTS direction.Many condo units in your price range 10 minutes walking distance from BTS.  

Easy access to Airport Rail Link.  

The inconvenience with Ratchada is you will have to change trains, from MRT to BTS to get to Siam.  During morning rush, that can be a major hassle...especially at Asoke/Sukhumvit.

There are units within your range in Ekkamai which has excellent food and entertainment variety though it is going more upscale recently.

Often difficult to enter the BTS there during morning rush, especially 7:30 to 8:30 am..sometimes have to let a train or two pass.

I've lived in all of those areas and if I had to live in Bangkok again I would choose Rachada. Sukhumvit can serve you well but you don't have to live there and Rachada isn't far at all from Sukh and with less of a grungy urban atmosphere. Rachada has somewhat of a less skyscraper boxed in feel as well. You can actually see the sky around there, something that seems to be disappearing in Sukhumvit. It is also much more Thai. Sukhumvit is rather sort of a pan global scene mostly, but is great for shopping, restaurants, bars etc.

sukumwit wherever is overpriced both for rent and usually for most restaurants.

i live in rachada near thailand cultural center metro. tons of inexpensive thai food, big c supermarket with lots of europe import food . theres italian food, korean, many more within walking distance. also the street mall with 24 hour burger king and other restaurants including chinese and dim sum. their food court is great and inexpensive thai food. theres also esplanade mall with movie theatres and more restaurants and a very interesting night market with more food, shiopping and many pubs including a few that have live music. rent is a lot more reasonable too. and normal thai people not toursim hassles

sukumwit road is 3 metro stops away, literally just 3-4 minutes.

Sukhumvit can not be overpriced since the market dictates the pricing. Lower Sukhumvit is all the rage and you can stroll back to your condo rather than try to make a dash for the Last sky train

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Thainess said:

Did I read that right? You not be frequenting Soi Cowboy or Nana Plaza? In that case, why bother living in Bangkok? Those are the only reason why anyone would want to live in Bangkok. Go and live in the middle of nowhere!

Some people have to work in central Bangkok. Living in the middle of nowhere isn't an option.

16 hours ago, Thainess said:

Did I read that right? You not be frequenting Soi Cowboy or Nana Plaza? In that case, why bother living in Bangkok? Those are the only reason why anyone would want to live in Bangkok. Go and live in the middle of nowhere!

He will be working there, there are lot much better places than NP and SC.

6 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:
16 hours ago, Thainess said:

He will be working there, there are lot much better places than NP and SC.

Do you mean there are better places than NP and SC that are like NP and SC or just places that you think are better but are not like NP and SC ??

3 hours ago, seancbk said:

Do you mean there are better places than NP and SC that are like NP and SC or just places that you think are better but are not like NP and SC ??

Both, places like NP and SC but without the loads of farang and nice places without working girls 

Edited by FritsSikkink

I lived just off Sukhumvit soi 38 and loved it. 5 minute walk to BTS which will take you to most of the parts of Bangkok most people would want to be. The traffic is horrendous but that is a Bangkok thing. My condo was on a very quiet side soi. I hope to be moving back into the same block with in the next month.

I'd recommend Sukhumvit Soi 10, 12 or 14.  Close to the parks and the elevated cycleway for when you need a quiet walk/run/cycle, close to BTS and MRT and close to Terminal 21 and Robinsons, Gourmet Market, Villa Market and lots of restaurants. 

The 'I want to live like a Thai away from all the falangs' is a nice theory, but most employed ex-pats will be working long hours - so the convenience of decent quality supermarkets, good restaurants and short commute will outweigh the dream of going native.

And rental prices don't fall significantly until you go past On Nut or a long way into the Soi.

Trust me, you'll not want a complex bike, boat, tuk tuk, MRT, BTS commute every day, and using a car is a grind, especially when it rains and everything stops.

The problem with Ratchada is that you will need to take the MRT in rush hour.

From that stop you will be crushed for 10 mins every morning.

As others have said stick to the BTS line and you will have an easier time.

25k Baht a month will find you a decent place there on a year contract.

5 hours ago, smokie36 said:

The problem with Ratchada is that you will need to take the MRT in rush hour.

From that stop you will be crushed for 10 mins every morning.

As others have said stick to the BTS line and you will have an easier time.

25k Baht a month will find you a decent place there on a year contract.

Thanks - is the MRT rush hour experience a lot worse than the BTS rush hour experience?

Ratchada's OK but just try getting a taxi to take you there in rush hour or after an evening/night out in Sukhumvit.

Yes, Asoke is expensive and yes, as a resident, I'm biased but the convenience is second to none.

MRT and BTS, cinemas, gyms, four 24 hour supermarkets, 2 cinema complexes (Emporium, T21), after hours clubs, bars, EM Quartier/Emporium/T21, gyms.

What's more - and this is something many don't think about - reliability of the electricity grid.

You still get power cuts every now and again but, typically, they don't last for more than a split second unlike the 1 or 2 hour blackouts you get in more residential areas.

Ratchada's OK but just try getting a taxi to take you there in rush hour or after an evening/night out in Sukhumvit.

Yes, Asoke is expensive and yes, as a resident, I'm biased but the convenience is second to none.

MRT and BTS, cinemas, gyms, four 24 hour supermarkets, 2 cinema complexes (Emporium, T21), after hours clubs, bars, EM Quartier/Emporium/T21, gyms.

What's more - and this is something many don't think about - reliability of the electricity grid.

You still get power cuts every now and again but, typically, they don't last for more than a split second unlike the 1 or 2 hour blackouts you get in more residential areas.

Yes I agree, penny pinching when it comes to bangkok will cost you more in the long run and the rise in blood pressure when the 5th cab tells you no.. Well..

Best stick to between nana and Asoke, the rent increase about 25% will be worth it in the long run

I've lived in all those areas too. And having moved out of BKK for 2 years until recently, spent 5-6 days a month in BKK. I found it very difficult to get a taxi home/hotel in either direction -- down Ratchada or outbound Sukhumvit -- during the late evening, not early morning. Also, the BTS is getting more and more crowded through all hours. At 10 pm, I've had to watch 2-3 trains go before I could get on the BTS outbound along Suk. It will only get worse as more condos come onstream at Phra Khanong and On Nut, not to mention the heavier traffic from mall shoppers at the Em District. 

Traffic is just getting worse overall. So, something to consider in terms of location to work and play.

One thing people could do rather than worrying about taxi's etc is to walk. I often drink in the Robin Hood and miss the last  train home. So I walk, Takes about 20 minutes can add another 10 to 15 minutes if you are around the Asok area and miss the train from there.

Seems to me far to many people forget they have legs once they arrive in Thailand.

One thing people could do rather than worrying about taxi's etc is to walk. I often drink in the Robin Hood and miss the last  train home. So I walk, Takes about 20 minutes can add another 10 to 15 minutes if you are around the Asok area and miss the train from there.
Seems to me far to many people forget they have legs once they arrive in Thailand.

Thailand is a retirement village really and so many have health issue so walking long distances isn't real possible for everyone

5 hours ago, berybert said:

Clearly, you don't live at On Nut, Bang Chak, Punna Withi, Udom Suk, Bang Na or Bearing. Or Ratchadapisek. Many people have moved well out of the tourist trap district. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 1:11 PM, YeahSiam said:

Rachada:

BIG C, Esplenada with cinema, Tesco Lotus, Fortune town, Central with cinema, kids playground and ice skating, Night market with food stalls, bars and live music, gyms