Has anyone recently installed CCTV at their house in Thailand

ghworker2010

After reading about the tragic circumstances of farang being murdered recently in their houses (guy in cha am near the dog kennel and guy in Chiang mai who lived alone in his house) I want to install CCTV. 

If you have recently purchased and installed a system can you provide details i.e. a spec and costing. 

I was in global hardware and they have a set of CCTV for 20,000 baht. The set includes 4 cameras and a box which I assume has the 1TB memory card which I presume is looping for 1 month. 

Do all of these systems have access to an app on the smart phone?

If you have recently installed a system what is the resolution of the cameras?

Any info is appreciated. 

May the presumably innocent victims mentioned above RIP. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMO don't bother with cctv. I paid about 15,000 for 4 cameras in Lamphun 3 years ago

I'd have been better off by far putting the money into physical security.

Points against.

unless you can disguise the cameras the bad guys can see them and take precautions, and it's difficult to disguise them satisfactorily.

if the power goes off they don't work, so you'd need to put in a back up.

you need a tv to go with the drive, so add that to the cost, unless you have a tv in the right place.

no matter how good the resolution, and on HD mine are brilliant, it's almost impossible to get  a face well enough to be of any use. even a hat makes it impossible.

they don't stop you getting murdered. I put mine in because of theft, but it was a waste of money, as the 7 foot steel fence and lots of barbed wire has prevented any since. Of course, any fence can be breached, but that would require planning in my case, and most theft is probably spontaneous. It did help that our house didn't look like there was anything worth stealing.

Worth noting- the installers were the usual cowboys that did a shoddy job. It was I that was up in the roof running the coax cable out of sight, and drilling holes in the wall to remove the easily cut cables outside.

53 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO don't bother with cctv. I paid about 15,000 for 4 cameras in Lamphun 3 years ago

Points against.

unless you can disguise the cameras the bad guys can see them and take precautions, and it's difficult to disguise them satisfactorily.

you need a tv to go with the drive, so add that to the cost, unless you have a tv in the right place.

no matter how good the resolution, and on HD mine are brilliant, it's almost impossible to get  a face well enough to be of any use. even a hat makes it impossible.

they don't stop you getting murdered. I put mine in because of theft, but it was a waste of money, as the 7 foot steel fence and lots of barbed wire has prevented any since. Of course, any fence can be breached, but that would require planning in my case, and most theft is probably spontaneous. It did help that our house didn't look like there was anything worth stealing.

Worth noting- the installers were the usual cowboys that did a shoddy job. It was I that was up in the roof running the coax cable out of sight, and drilling holes in the wall to remove the easily cut cables outside.

Sir  i do not entirely agree with you.

Yes cameras do not stop people stealing, but i find them a deterent.

As most members know i am paraplegic, as only wife and myself live here security is a major point.

I have cameras placed so they can be seen, reason being they should deter most thieves.

They are  day time/ nightime cameras.

I want people to see them, so they will go away and not try to get in.

Also the company i used were first class, no shoddy work everything was done to my complete satisfaction.

bought  3  ip  cameras  set them up around the land 15 rai and one in the front door  of the house (inside) works thru wifi or  hard wired can watch the house/land from anywhere with internet access worldwide cost  6000baht set  up 10 minutes

Chinese "Eye 4" good  enough for what  i  need, cameras  can  be  remotely  controlled  also, ie  you  can rotate them up-down-left-right has microphone and speaker so you can hear and speak thru them, records to sd or  anywhere you  like ie  cloud if  u want

My internet isnt brilliant out here in the semi  boonies but its good  enough for  this

http://www.eye4.so/product/c38s.html

http://www.eye4.so/

cctv.jpg

Edited by kannot

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Points against.

I appreciate all the opinions. 

What about installing all the cameras inside the house pointing at the main access points. Similar to the one photo of the member above that has a camera pointing at the door on the inside. that way no one knows we have CCTV until when they are trying to gain entry. do you think thats a better idea than having them on the outside?

1. You need one equiped with IR LED's for night.

2. My IP camera sends me an email with photo immediately if triggered. Gripe : the resolution is poor compared to the the resolution of the camera.

3. It will also upload photos to a file server if triggered. Gripe : I wanted it to send up video, but I can't get it to work.

4. The application software is poor. Gripe : there is a webinterface and a smartphone app, which are not equivalent and a pain to work with.

5. I have the camera and wifi router on a UPS, so it still works if the power is cut for about 40 minutes.

If you store the data locally I can't see the point, as any intruder will just take/destroy the harddrive.

I forget the specifics but after tiring of petty thieves and jealous neighbours who might plant some H on my property (or whatever), and/or throw rocks, I elected to install an inexpensive, 8 cam security system that can be monitored 24/7 - even while I'm on the beach. Maybe it's overkill, but most idiots are stopped in their tracks when they notice that they are already being recorded - and then hastily retreat. I paid about 10-12k baht I think. I can also keep an eye on the gardner and housekeeper to ensure quality work performance. A good deterrent, me says.

I wanted high quality video and good night vision and I went with Nest Cam's which I bought in the US. Easy to set up, works off wifi, keeps video in the cloud for a monthly fee and I run both the cameras and my wifi router off a UPS so they work even when the power goes. Each Nest Cam runs US$200 and the monthly fee for recording up to 10 days of video is US$99 a year for the first camera and $50/year for each additional camera.  I can view live video or recorded video on a laptop or on a phone -IOS or Android. And I set up all my cameras outside. More expensive than the other options mentioned above but you get what you pay for. Hope this helps.

I have numerous camera all mounted behind the tinted windows of my house looking out over my yrard and front and rear gates with auto flood lights illuminating those area's at night.Iit records to my computer using iSpy.

Cams, PC and modem/router are all on a large UPS, obviously at night if the power goes out my security lights dont work rendering my cams useless.

We have three cameras mounted outside and one mounted inside. We had the system professionally installed and the infrared ability of the cameras is very impressive. We can view them from anywhere, take snapshot photos or save some or a portion of video via an internet app. I believe the entire system cost us about 20 thousand baht.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

28 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I have numerous camera all mounted behind the tinted windows of my house looking out over my yrard and front and rear gates with auto flood lights illuminating those area's at night.Iit records to my computer using iSpy.

Cams, PC and modem/router are all on a large UPS, obviously at night if the power goes out my security lights dont work rendering my cams useless.

Cams don't have IR?  Even the cheap VStar ones have IR and work at night.

17 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

No.

Brand. V­STARCAM

• Image Sensor. 720P 1.0 megapixel, H264
  • Lens. 2.8~[email protected]/88~23˚
  • Digital Zoom. 4xOptical Zoom
  • Pan/Tilt RangeHorizontal.Pan:355°,Tilt:85°
  • Water proof grade. IP66 Waterproof
  • Min. Illumination. 0.8Lux/F1.4(color mode),0.3Lux/F1.4(B&W mode)
  • IR Range. 15m 22pcs
  • Memory. Support TF Card up to 64GB
  • ONVIF. Yes
  • Warranty 1Y

3bb records everything cheap much as I remember.

6 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

I appreciate all the opinions. 

What about installing all the cameras inside the house pointing at the main access points. Similar to the one photo of the member above that has a camera pointing at the door on the inside. that way no one knows we have CCTV until when they are trying to gain entry. do you think thats a better idea than having them on the outside?

Seems ridiculous to wait that the savages break the door to show CCTV ! Seems like you have never been a bag guy and don't know how it works...

Thinking about to install a security sistem long time ago, I just decide to buy a CCTV reading all your replies... Is not a bad idea the Dog,  sadly nobody can take care of him when we are traveling. thanks for all your informations.

12 minutes ago, AsianScamDoctor said:

So good !

Was it wasy to set up ? how often you change the batteries ?

Thanks.

the  three systems in the airconditioned house last 4-4½ years, the one in the "pumphouse" which secures our water supply 3-3½ years. based on now 10½ years experience.

22 minutes ago, AsianScamDoctor said:

And then people keep telling that a house is better :-) I would not let my family living in any house !

it all depends in which area the house is located, e.g. no problems in a small mooban with good day and night security. never thought of installing a security system although we had them in our house in Germany as well as in Florida.

1 minute ago, Dtrump said:

I have 4 ups units that cost 3000 baht each.  With a little knowledge you can replace the batteries for 400 baht instead of the whole thing. 

what is sold as UPS are most of the time just toys to bridge a power cut of perhaps 30 minutes up to 1 hour. for "proper" systems, like the one i posted, the two batteries cost around 7,000 Baht. but with an inverter (cost another 7,000 Baht) they provide continous power for 3-4 PCs, 2 big screen TVs (each with SAT-receiver, mediaplayer, music system) lighting and ceiling fans for up to 12 hours.

2-3 times a year we experience a full day power cut with notice given some days ahead. then it's comforting to have uninterrupted internet, TV and most important no need to flush a toilet with a bucket of water taken from the pool. 

Had six cameras installed, four outside two inside the pictures are brilliant access by mobile phone anywhere in the world, 23,000 baht.

company PSI. They also do satellite dishes

ps pictures in full color .

i live in Korat but they are a national company with highly trained work force.