Kawasaki Versys 300 (Baby Versys) is coming

guzzi850m2

I never really "got" the big adventure bike thing either, unless you're riding around the world. Too big and heavy for serious off roading, and clumsy on the road (compared to real sports tourers). I guess it's a compromise but for the price they charge you could get a decent road bike like a CBR650/Ninja 650/Versys for touring (all are pretty comfy and capable of 200+ kph) plus a decent off road bike like a KLX250 for off road, plus a new Aerox 155 for the city/711. 

I do think the 650-800 capacity is more of a sweet spot than a 300 though. I've met guys touring on a CB500X that said it was underpowered in the mountains so I'm guessing this 300 would really struggle 2 up on something like the Mae Hong Son loop (I know I had to rev the pi$$ out of my Ninja 250 on that route and can't imagine this 300 would be that much stronger).

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed on the size for touring, nothing below 650cc would be good/fun.

Sure some does very long touring trips on Wave's and other small bikes, but I rather not.

The Baby V might be good up in Myanmar where the roads are pretty crap and high speeds impossible.

The riding position on my V650 is perfect for me and the bike has just enough power to be fun and I only ride single since my son was born.

Okay this 300cc might suit some that are happy riding at 100km/h but I normally go faster than that.

3 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Agreed on the size for touring, nothing below 650cc would be good/fun.

Sure some does very long touring trips on Wave's and other small bikes, but I rather not.

papa has toured about 27,000km on '08 ceeber150,

Thailand , Laos, Cambo.

Like to cruise @ 120 [indicated], but can 140, need be.

passed & left a group of liter-bikes in my wake yesterday on the 1188.

seemed good/fun to me,

but WTFDIK?

Edited by papa al

16 hours ago, Richard-BKK said:

My idea about the Kawasaki Versys-X 300 is that it’s a perfect bike for Thailand. A 300cc parallel-twin is excellent for cruising and exploring the country.

As said before I not think big adventure bikes are the perfect tool for Thailand, I have been in to much situations that I was wishing my motorcycle was lighter. Sure a plus 1000cc adventure bike can do over 150km/h, but really think about that… if you want to go over 120km/h did you not buy the wrong motorcycle?

100% Agree

This bike would be a perfect "Thailand bike" 

8 hours ago, papa al said:

papa has toured about 27,000km on '08 ceeber150,

Thailand , Laos, Cambo.

Like to cruise @ 120 [indicated], but can 140, need be.

passed & left a group of liter-bikes in my wake yesterday on the 1188.

seemed good/fun to me,

but WTFDIK?

Good on you papa.

I seems to recall I saw a photo of you on your bike on of of those touring trips and it appears you are a quite short person? No pun intended.

I am +185cm and don't fell comfortable on many bikes and I certainly don't like to have my knees bent too much while riding longer rides.

papa too irresponsible/unskilled to have a nice, fast, expensive bike.

prefer cheap, easy-to-fix ride.

[one year ago crashed near Phayo;

hit-and-runner;

but back on road in 2 hours;

thanks to help from cops & hospital [262baht] and

local shop finding 2nd-hand replacement part

[foot peg bracket] for 500baht fix]

it would have been end-of-tour on a Versys.

less is more

plan to ride Chiang Rai ==> Pai today.

Buddha willing.

Edited by papa al

21 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I never really "got" the big adventure bike thing either, unless you're riding around the world. Too big and heavy for serious off roading, and clumsy on the road (compared to real sports tourers). I guess it's a compromise but for the price they charge you could get a decent road bike like a CBR650/Ninja 650/Versys for touring (all are pretty comfy and capable of 200+ kph) plus a decent off road bike like a KLX250 for off road, plus a new Aerox 155 for the city/711. 

I do think the 650-800 capacity is more of a sweet spot than a 300 though. I've met guys touring on a CB500X that said it was underpowered in the mountains so I'm guessing this 300 would really struggle 2 up on something like the Mae Hong Son loop (I know I had to rev the pi$$ out of my Ninja 250 on that route and can't imagine this 300 would be that much stronger).

Hey I did that loop on a Forza and had a blast! ? The 300 segment is hot right now and I'm loving all these bikes coming out.

I think 300cc is the perfect compromise. Enough power for touring and light weight enough for a daily city driver. 

I have a 150 now. Wish it had more power... Too slow for touring 2 up. I had a 650 in the states. Way overkill for the roads here. Now I'm saving for an R3. 

Touring doesn't mean the same for everyone I guess. If I'm going two-up with full gear and luggage for a long trip (1000km+, several days driving) then a 300 gets old really fast if there are mountains involved. There's a steep incline on one road in Phuket and I have to rev my CBR500R in first gear to get some kind of accelleration and then switch quickly into second without much hesitation and that's without any luggage. Sure it's doable and not a huge hassle (scooters drive there every day) but I prefer a bit more oomph. A 650 would be enough (I did Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen and back on a stock CB650F) but the Honda Africa Twin will be sweet for those long trips. Big comfy seat, long travel suspension and big wheels. Do I wish it was 50kg lighter? Absolutely. You don't want to drop these big bikes or go through some difficult terrain. But for long trips, over mountains, through some shitty potholed roads... perfect.

There's a reason why most people who do long rides prefer the bigger bikes. If the smaller ones were better then most people would use those. The big advantage is the weight but I haven't been in many situations where I've found the weight of a 650 for example really annoying. I don't do serious offroad (apart from going through the jungle on a mounting with a Honda Click but that's another story :)) but if I did, I'd get a proper offroad bike.

If guys can afford several bikes then go for it! Just thinking this 300 is a good compromise. I've spotted some of those big adventure bikes in Saigon. My god they are enormous. Wouldn't want that as a daily driver to run down to the corner store. Especially with those side saddle boxes. I'd clip someone in traffic with those for sure. 

3 hours ago, Still Living said:

If guys can afford several bikes then go for it! Just thinking this 300 is a good compromise. I've spotted some of those big adventure bikes in Saigon. My god they are enormous. Wouldn't want that as a daily driver to run down to the corner store. Especially with those side saddle boxes. I'd clip someone in traffic with those for sure. 

I never use my big bike downtown Pattaya, I use my PCX (with 40l top box), wife a Scoppy i.

Also dressed more comfortable when riding the scooters, big bike: fully dressed/geared up.

It will be impossible to find one 2 wheeler that can do everything very good.

Most big bike riders I know in Thailand have a scooter for shopping duties.

1 hour ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I never use my big bike downtown Pattaya, I use my PCX (with 40l top box), wife a Scoppy i.

Also dressed more comfortable when riding the scooters, big bike: fully dressed/geared up.

It will be impossible to find one 2 wheeler that can do everything very good.

Most big bike riders I know in Thailand have a scooter for shopping duties.

So you're saying I should keep my 150 and also buy a 650? ?

1 hour ago, Still Living said:

So you're saying I should keep my 150 and also buy a 650? ?

That is off-course up to you and what your needs are and where you live, to a certain degree.

It's very hard to give good advice to anybody as our needs and monthly income vary a lot.

On 12/7/2016 at 1:27 PM, JonnyF said:

Never had an issue with my 2007 KSR110 or 2008 Ninja 250. I ordered parts for the KSR last month, just messaged them on the Line app and they posted them to me the next day. Never had to leave my desk.

I never see ZX130's on the road so I'm guessing they didn't sell many and get very few inquiries for spare engine parts and therefore don't keep stock. I'd be amazed if they wouldn't order them for you though.

Maybe you have seen a few Kawasaki ZX130, but they look more like a Honda Wave so you maybe not paid much attention. To be honest, spare parts for the whole line of step-through Kawasaki bikes is badly organized in Thailand. Even for a model Kawasaki still sells, the Kaze 125 spare part distribution is nothing positive... If you have the Kawasaki Kaze 112 or the ZX130 you in for some problems sooner or later...

• 3 months later...

Anyone seen a Versys 300X on the road yet?  I sat on one at the Bangkok Motorcycle Festival,  and was quite impressed,  but with the Touring version of the 300X costing more than a CB500X, it would have ride well to justify the price.

I like the spoked wheels and 19 inch front, and details like the power point, luggage rack and gear position indicator are nice to have, but the CB500X just looks like a bike from the segment above,  and some details on tbe 300X look a bit budget and fragile in comparison, like the strange plastic shrouds either side of the fuel injection,  and the lawnmower style exhaust headers.  All non LED lighting looks a bit budget too.

2017_0201_14502200_20170311001815818.jpg

1 hour ago, Familyonthemove said:

As there's no test reports on-line yet, what's the thoughts of Ninja 300 owners about the Ninja motor in a light (ish) adventure bike?

looking at the specs on the US site it is the same weight as the N300 (175/174 kgs).

https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2017-Versys-X-300-ABS

As for thoughts about being an adventure bike, i really don't have much to compare to. I like my N300, it is quick enough for me and is able to out accelerate (or at least keep up with) most run of the mill cars/pick-ups. I haven't done any long rides on it, an hour at the most, but i love it on twistie roads. Straight line stuff i find boring, i am comfortable at about 120-130 kph (now that i have changed to Pirelli DR2) and have had it up to 165 but getting tossed around by wind doesn't appeal either. I find the motor nice and tractable, i can lug along in a higher gear if i want or can keep it wound-up. So i can imagine that as an adventure bike the Versys-X 300 would be fun, though i'd imagine not too adventurous. :smile: Even in the US sales video it doesn't show it off road.

As much as i love the N300, i am looking at eventually upgrading. For me the Yamaha MT07 would be a great bike, only 8 kgs heavier than the N300/300X and 689cc. As others have said, i'd imagine a lightish bike around 650cc would be more fun as adventure/touring bike.

As is it is 30kg heavier than a CRF250L. What you would gain by removing all the plastic and making it more an off road model I could not tell. But it should perform well on twisty mountain roads, and off road if not too technical. I went here - https://www.google.ca/maps/place/บ้านป่าข้าวหลาม/@19.2883058,98.7221316,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xc38890239ea3c9a7!8m2!3d19.2962662!4d98.710345

Don't know what is happening with this website ... Continued ...

on my CRF with 17's and caught up with two riders. One on a BMW R80GS and one on a 500X. Both slogging along in first gear. Passed them at the first opportunity. Sometimes light bikes win out over heavy ones.

My friend just went up to Changmai and back to Pattaya on his AT 1000 and I saw a video his wife shot of him crossing a river on it. Okay he is a hard core off roader with a 600cc crosser in his garage that can't be registered. So people saying you need a small light weight bike for serious off roading don't know what they are talking about.

As a side note: I can't do that myself and stay on tarmac.

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw a Versys 300 at my local Kawi shop and am quite impressed.
Looks just the touring ticket for Thais and smaller westerners. About 35 litres of combined pannier storage, nice looking riding position and larger front tire.
Got nothing on performance or ride but think it should do well here.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 12/7/2016 at 1:46 PM, JonnyF said:

In the 2 months I've owned my Africa Twin, I've taken it places many on smaller bikes wouldn't dare.  Yes, it is heavy, but it is balanced well.

20% bike, the rest is rider.

34 minutes ago, pbas400 said:

Versys 300 i m a bit surprised by the price, similar Honda CB500X

200K THB - 220K THB

300 is a little underpowered.  As you say, the 500x isn't much more but will offer much more as a capable tourer/adv with a few mods.

My 650 Versys was a great bike, even off road after a little treatment here and there.  

Edited by BBJ

300 is a little underpowered.  As you say, the 500x isn't much more but will offer much more as a capable tourer/adv with a few mods.

My 650 Versys was a great bike, even off road after a little treatment here and there.  

Probably better than the plastic Goliath Versys 1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12.3.2017 at 7:48 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

My friend just went up to Changmai and back to Pattaya on his AT 1000 and I saw a video his wife shot of him crossing a river on it. Okay he is a hard core off roader with a 600cc crosser in his garage that can't be registered. So people saying you need a small light weight bike for serious off roading don't know what they are talking about.

As a side note: I can't do that myself and stay on tarmac.

River crossings and gravel roads are not serious offroad stuff and a normal rider will not be able to do seriuos offroad riding on a big 1000ccm bike!(one of the world top enduro pros may be able to do it)

A 6oo crosser is still a relativly lightweight bike with a shitload of power that needs very experinced hand....

"So people saying you need a small light weight bike for serious off roading don't know what they are talking about"...yes they know what they talkin about!

On 7/12/2559 at 10:55 AM, Richard-BKK said:

My idea about the Kawasaki Versys-X 300 is that it’s a perfect bike for Thailand. A 300cc parallel-twin is excellent for cruising and exploring the country.

As said before I not think big adventure bikes are the perfect tool for Thailand, I have been in to much situations that I was wishing my motorcycle was lighter. Sure a plus 1000cc adventure bike can do over 150km/h, but really think about that… if you want to go over 120km/h did you not buy the wrong motorcycle?

My g/f bought a Kawasaki Versys 1000, she doesn’t really like it as the seat height is a bit uncomfortable for her. She still has her BMW F650X which she still rides the most. The BMW has a seat height of 785mm while the Kawasaki is a good amount higher at 838mm

The aim is to do 130km plus, off road on an adventure bike!  Forget the tarmac.