Trump bucks protocol on press access

webfact

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beyond the expected destruction of the social safety net in the US due to the Republicans' free rein over all three branches of the govt, there is now range of outcomes that, while none of them is likely, all are a lot more likely than they were as recently as last Monday, such as:

1.  A military coup against Trump if the military can't stomach him.

2.  A revocation or suspension of the Constitution to enable Trump or Pence to retain power beyond term limits in 2024.

3.  A declaration of martial law and/or suspension of certain civil liberties.

4.  The largest roundup and forced deportation of people en masse in history.

All of this becomes conceivable, if not yet likely, because both Trump and the Republican party are profoundly anti-democratic.  It's not for nothing that Trump expresses admiration for a tinpot dictator like Putin.  Republican state govts have actively been suppressing voting rights to a degree not seen since the Jim Crow era.  It won't stop, because it suits the agenda both of the billionaire donor class and of the white Christian reactionary voters.  Since it won't stop it will likely go beyond   the traditional bounds of democracy in America.

This is the way fascism proceeds.

4 minutes ago, CaptHaddock said:

Beyond the expected destruction of the social safety net in the US due to the Republicans' free rein over all three branches of the govt, there is now range of outcomes that, while none of them is likely, all are a lot more likely than they were as recently as last Monday, such as:

2.  A revocation or suspension of the Constitution to enable Trump or Pence to retain power beyond term limits in 2024.

All of this becomes conceivable, if not yet likely, because both Trump and the Republican party are profoundly anti-democratic.  It's not for nothing that Trump expresses admiration for a tinpot dictator like Putin.  Republican state govts have actively been suppressing voting rights to a degree not seen since the Jim Crow era.  It won't stop, because it suits the agenda both of the billionaire donor class and of the white Christian reactionary voters.  Since it won't stop it will likely go beyond   the traditional bounds of democracy in America.

Somehow I suspect that the Americans (many of who have guns) will not accept a military coup or martial law/suspension of civil liberties....

Edited by dick dasterdly

40 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well, for one thing, when I tell foreigners my nationality, I will say I'm an American that opposes trump. It embarrasses me deeply that all Americans will now be associated with that horribly unfit, dangerous and hateful clown that has enacted a takeover of my country by the alt-right, a movement deeply infected with Nazis and all flavors of anti-intellectual regressive anti-civil rights HATERS. 

You know, when I meet a Russian unless they appear like an "alternative" type, I assume (sadly usually correctly) that they support their dictator Putin. 

I feel sorry for you! You should never feel embarrassed about your country. Or you could immigrate to Canada or New Zealand.   

6 minutes ago, CharlieK said:

I feel sorry for you! You should never feel embarrassed about your country. Or you could immigrate to Canada or New Zealand.   

Not qualified. I will always be American. 

I am a proud to be American but embarrassed that strangers would assume me to be a pro trump American. That's the difference.

I think Americans abroad that are anti-trump should start thinking about this the same as Russians might or Germans during the Nazi era.

Do you want people to assume you're a trumpist or do you want to say something if you're not? 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

My understanding is it costs 65K to relinquish your citizenship. I really don't understand what all the fuss is about, Trump won't be able to do half the things he said he will do. The GOP will control Trump's excesses. As for press protocol, they are just wolves looking to manufacture the news rather than report it. So good on him if he does keep them at a distance. 

That you allow yourself to believe all the BS shows just how gullible you Americans are, you people are almost scared of you're own shadow. That's how the media have played the American public with fear and paranoia. IMO

42 minutes ago, CaptHaddock said:

You & jing know no limit to your sensationalism of something you know nothing about

1 ..it was the Obama administration that saw so many groups like oath keepers spring up. We were a hell of a lot closer to a military take over than now

I know many still serving as marines....they all  wanted out  due to poor leadership

2..look at how Obama shredded & sidestepped the Constitution  ...which is why Trump has often mentioned restoring it

3...martial law suspend liberties?? What the heck you think that Patriot Act Obama kept extending long after the National State Of  Emergency ended was???

4..Largest roundup??? Good because if there are large amounts of illegals in any country that got in  illegally  ...then yes round them up...ship them out....If they come up again illegal get harsher on them & Those hiring or hiding them

We do after all offer a legal entry & even a pathway to citizenship after being in the US for 3 years.

You will not find easier than this IMHO 

Lastly before anyone cries about who will pick their fruit....welcome to the self service section....if you still want immigrants hire them...legally ...there are companies that import such labor on temp work permits. But if the real reason is you want to pay dog wages....your day is over.....till the next dem president 

PS: you want to talk fascism ?

the 12 warning signs were all over the last administration as well as Hillary's campaign 

https://polimasaren.wordpress.com/2014/09/22/12-warning-signs-of-fascism/

Edited by mania

25 minutes ago, CaptHaddock said:

If you are looking to politicians to provide you a social safety net then you are jn for a rude awakening ;-)

Edited by ClutchClark

2 minutes ago, CharlieK said:

My understanding is it costs 65K to relinquish your citizenship. I really don't understand what all the fuss is about, Trump won't be able to do half the things he said he will do. The GOP will control Trump's excesses. As for press protocol, they are just wolves looking to manufacture the news rather than report it. So good on him if he does keep them at a distance. 

That you allow yourself to believe all the BS shows just how gullible you Americans are, you people are almost scared of you're own shadow. That's how the media have played the American public with fear and paranoia. IMO

You're being absurd.

He's going to repeal Obamacare, he's going to appoint extremist far right wing supreme court justices, and the damage from that will last at least 50 years.

Seriously, are you paying attention at all? The congress wants those things. 

What are you on about giving up citizenship? That's your trip. Not mine so back off. Anyway, you need a new nation's citizenship to give up yours anyway.

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, CharlieK said:

That's the way politicians play the game.

Unfortunately for the UK politicians and now the US politicians, the electorate is bad-tempered enough to vote for anything other than the establishment views and opinions .

I thought that the video was really quite funny, on topic and appropriate.

It clearly showed the derision with which Trump was held by the press and the establishment (thanks you President Obama for two great examples).

I was surprised though that some people with extremely strong feelings on this subject didn't think to delete the video when responding to a post :smile:

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I am a proud to be American but embarrassed that strangers would assume me to be a pro trump American. That's the difference.

I think Americans abroad that are anti-trump should start thinking about this the same as Russians might or Germans during the Nazi era.

Do you want people to assume you're a trumpist or do you want to say something if you're not? 

That is paranoia, the idea that you have to make clear that you are not a trump supporter. Being American is enough if anything! lol. May I suggest that you get over it. I am sure that in reality most if not all of what he might do will not affect your daily life.

Even those that voted for him don't have control over his actions and probably didn't vote for every policy he announced. 

31 minutes ago, CaptHaddock said:

Nut Stuff

1 minute ago, CharlieK said:

That is paranoia, the idea that you have to make clear that you are not a trump supporter. Being American is enough if anything! lol. May I suggest that you get over it. I am sure that in reality most if not all of what he might do will not affect your daily life.

Even those that voted for him don't have control over his actions and probably didn't vote for every policy he announced. 

It actually deeply impacts me personally and most people I know in the U.S. I won't go into detail because that's too personal for this thread, but stop making moronic assumptions.

But I'm amazed at the level that you don't get it to the point of not realizing what's about to happen to millions of Americans. You're not American or you don't follow the news? 

Edited by Jingthing

31 minutes ago, CaptHaddock said:

A military coup against Trump if the military can't stomach him.

The rank and file support Trump.

As for the rest :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

That's the way politicians play the game.

Unfortunately for the UK politicians and now the US politicians, the electorate is bad-tempered enough to vote for anything other than the establishment views and opinions .

That is because they imported American advisers to run electoral campaigns based on fear! Brits aren't as gullible as Americans when it comes to politics. 

5 minutes ago, CharlieK said:

Maybe he can just buy a T-shirt or hang a sign around his neck.  Ought to save him some time and trouble.

1 hour ago, Gary A said:

What would a wall be for? Is it needed to keep people in or out?

GaryA,

in the example mentioned, the wall would be built for the same reasons we keep walls around asylums. 

To keep the crazies in.

And for that poster, I know quite a few families from Eastern Oregon who would strongly disagree with the claim Oregon thinks like Canada...for that matter, I know plenty of Western Canadians who would be equally offended to be thought similar to people from Portlandia.

Basically, that poster must have meant the people in the urban centers of WA & OR are similar to the people in the urban center of Vancouver.

Its a big world out there and I worry that a grown man like him can't adjust to having people in his world that don't think just like him. But I have seen that lack of acceptance of the individual plenty of times in the Liberal community.

Cheers

He's living by the rules he knows best:

that of the TV Reality star

This time he's learnt from the KKKardashian error of announcing where she's going to be at every minute of the clock.

People high up have been know to die from that...

The Press owes him one, and besides

- they're superfluous now that Wikileaks tells/shows us about all these days

Edited by tifino

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You're being absurd.

He's going to repeal Obamacare, he's going to appoint extremist far right wing supreme court justices, and the damage from that will last at least 50 years.

Seriously, are you paying attention at all? The congress wants those things. 

What are you on about giving up citizenship? That's your trip. Not mine so back off. Anyway, you need a new nation's citizenship to give up yours anyway.

You will have a heart attack if you carry on like this. You have an over inflated idea of your country. America was <deleted> decades ago. A third world country for most of it's citzens! 

3 hours ago, CharlieK said:

You will have a heart attack if you carry on like this. You have an over inflated idea of your country. America was <deleted> decades ago. A third world country for most of it's citzens! 

So you're not American, right? Your statement of assumption of no personal impact gave you away. 

I have a personal anecdote. A close relative, a lifetime republican (the Romney kind) contacted me and said, I don't recognize my country anymore, this feels like 911. Multiple that by about half the country and you'll START to get it. 

This is not a normal change of presidents by any stretch of the imagination. 

1 minute ago, Luckysilk said:

Reading some of the posts,  I seriously believe some folks on here need a nice long walk on the beach to clear their heads or a dozen Chang and a week end in bed and not polluting every thread with negativity.

The hysteria is OTT.

I can predict one thing about that ... the HEROIN addiction problem in the USA is about to get a lot worse. 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

So you're not American, right? Your statement of assumption of no personal impact gave you away. 

I have a personal anecdote. A close relative, a lifetime republican (the Romney kind) contacted me and said, I don't recognize my country anymore, this feels like 911. Multiple that by about half the country and you'll START to get it. 

And a close relative of mine contacted me and said thank the Lord, America has a chance again to be great. 

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It actually deeply impacts me personally and most people I know in the U.S. I won't go into detail because that's too personal for this thread, but stop making moronic assumptions.

But I'm amazed at the level that you don't get it to the point of not realizing what's about to happen to millions of Americans. You're not American or you don't follow the news? 

Glad to say I am not American. I have been to the states a few times, my impression is that most Americans are paranoid. The fact that you would be embarrassed over Trump shows that paranoia. You say it is personal to you. How is it personal to you. Does it stop you living your life, will it make you poorer because of his policies. Or is it that you really have swallowed the fear?